Xue Song (薛松)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by 2cents, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Messi suffered a similar injury and is back at 200% now.

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Acc. To me

Xue will be back after Rio Olympics.

3. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Badminton has more wear and tear. The stretches and lunges from badminton are way too demanding on the knees than while playing football.

I hope he makes it back at 200%...

Having said that, does anybody know who have made a successful comeback in badminton after a ligament tear and sustained the career long after that? I really doubt there's anyone.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Okuhara would be the best example.

#104 visor, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  5. ytam1

ytam1 Regular Member

Student
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Sayaka Sato is another example.

7. seagame2001

seagame2001 Regular Member

CNC
    For men single players after injuries they would not be at their top level again. We hope he will get better soon and get back on the court.

8. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Vittinghus is one example. Tine Baun was another one. In fact there is quite a lot. But as mentioned, it is not a ACL, it is meniscus tear. I don't think it is as serious as ACL, but I can be wrong.

9. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I think Visor has medical knowledge. Visor, can you show up?

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Hi...

Personal experience myself too... with reconstructed right ACL and medial meniscal tear.

Yes, meniscal injury is not as bad as ACL tear, which most always has associated meniscal tear included due to its anatomical attachment.

In simple meniscal injuries, the loose cartilage is easily removed in a half hour arthroscopic surgery. Recovery would be in weeks. Whereas ACL reconstruction takes 2 hours and would take months to recover.

Of course, the knee will never be 100% back to normal. Which makes Okuhara's comeback even more amazing especially in singles where it is more physically demanding.

Xue will need an MRI back in China to sort out if any ACL involvement. If only simple meniscal tear, then he'll recover in weeks post surgery. If he keeps on playing at the highest competitive level, of course, he'll suffer from early arthritis in his knee when he's older in his 50's, but that's a small price to pay for his success now while he's still young.

#110 visor, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    AlanY, renbo, pcll99 and 3 others like this.
  11. visor

visor Regular Member

Just watched the last few points of the match. He seemed to be moving fine until landing on a overhead shot with a slight twist to the left knee. Doesn't look too serious. Definitely not ACL since the knee didn't buckle or collapse.

tbgoh288 and ytam1 like this.
  12. ytam1

ytam1 Regular Member

Student
    His weibo said it's the "outer" side of the meniscus. Does this location has more or less blood supply? If I remember correctly, some part of the meniscus does have blood supply and therefore have a chance to heal.

But thank god it's not an ACL (at least not based on the current information).

13. ytam1

ytam1 Regular Member

Student
    Brief translation:

"Really thank you for everyone! In particular, the Indian badminton association for their immediate help, and everyone in my team. Sincerely thank you! Medical examination report from Indian hospital: Torn lateral meniscus. Surgery recommended. Because of communication problem, this is the only information I got. Therefore, I will have another detail medical examination when I am back in China. Everyone has his own views on the match result - there is no good or bad, and all I can do is to be myself! "

kwun likes this.
  14. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    What an unfortunate incident for Xue Song. He has improved beyond expectations He has great strokes and a good temperament. His net play creates opportunities and defence lifts are so well placed, that his opponents cant take advantage. The coaches who made him from an error prone junior to a confident all tounder should take in Shi Yuqi and a few more in hand to create more XS.
    Best of luck XS and get well soon. I will miss your exciting matches.

tbgoh288 likes this.
  15. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Usually its medical meniscus, which is torn in badminton players. This one is lateral. Not sure of the prognosis.

The focus will shift to Tian Huwei now. Chen Long should play two olympics at least and he will remain the player to be beaten.

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    What is a knee meniscus tear?

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, top level pro athletes with enough funding can go for stem cell and growth factor injections instead to heal their tears. Like Tiger Woods, Lee Chong Wei, etc.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Xue Song is just becoming a force to be reckoned with, challenging the top rung players one buy one. I trust CBA will give him the best medical treatment available (I expect him to be sent to Germany for that as happened to other cases previously, eg Wang Xin, Zhong Qianxin, Xia Huan, Wang Lin, iirc) and provide all the support and resources to help him make a comeback.

For now, I fear, he may be out of action for a year or struggling at the end of one year before he can be on the comeback trail. Luckily, lateral meniscus tear is not as severe as ACL as some of you pointed out. Injury is the worst of any unforeseen circumstances I hate to see the most, the bane of all athletes, professionals or amateurs.

As we know, Wang Xin who suffered only one ACL, and Wang Lin who suffered three (!) are notable examples - they all had their careers cut short. Xue Song, despite it being lateral meniscus tear, not ACL, is unfortunate in that he is on the cusp of achieving a breakthrough in his young career. Hope he's not too disheartened by it,but continue to stay positive, and emerge stronger than ever in future

19. laonong

laonong Regular Member

Looks like CAB wasted money to have Wang xin, wang lin get medical treatment in German.Maybe try some Chinese medicine.

20. seagame2001

seagame2001 Regular Member

CNC
    Chinese medicine is good option too