Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Yep Zezevii, you are correct

He acknowledges his supporters even after a defeat by clapping and showing them a thumbs up.

Some top players don't give a toss about supporters who cheered for them once they are shown the exit door.

2. Dias09

Dias09 Regular Member

Boe mogensen anyone?

#7102 Dias09, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
  3. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

Boe mogensen anyone?[/QUOTE]

Dont really watch Boe mogensen games but I know LCW is one of them sometimes haha.

4. laivc

laivc Regular Member

Sales
    Surprisingly, in Boleh-sia, Lin Dan is made to be a very nasty, arrogant player who doesn't give a dam- about his opponents, badminton fans and badminton as a whole and LCW is painted as a saint. LOL!

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Jan O Jorgensen : "Lin Dan still the man to beat "

[​IMG]

Former World Number 2 and current European Champion Jan O Jorgensen believes that Lin Dan is still the one to beat on any given day. Speaking to The Star, he said :

“It’s always difficult to play against Lin Dan. If he’s in the right mood, it’s going to be even harder to beat him,” said Jorgensen after an official training session at the Malawati Stadium on Monday.

“Lin Dan may have lost early (in the second round of the Indian Open last week), but I think it’s normal.

"With everybody packing their schedule with so many tournaments prior to the Olympics, you are bound to suffer ups and downs. Lin Dan is still the one to beat on any given day."

“I’m looking forward to make the quarter-finals and play another great match against him,” added Jorgensen, who has beaten two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan four times in 12 clashes.

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...ensen-eyes-a-chance-for-revenge-over-lin-dan/

SleepyEyedBoyZ likes this.
  6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I don't actually think he has lost much of this core strength and power. I think he is deliberately holding back. He can still play all the shots as he did before but he is not using as much energy.

He does very occasionally play a full power smash, when I say full power, I mean equivalent to his smash in 2008. I think I saw him play one or two at the AE this year when I was court-side. You don't just lose your ability to smash hard, I'm sure Taufik and FHF would still be able to smash hard when they're s in their 40's!

LD is still playing the calculated game that he has been playing over the past few years but he is slowly bringing the pace up again. You will notice that instead of gradually losing energy and speed as the match develops (as with most others), LD is actually increasing speed and using more energy as the game goes on. Which is why he seems to be average in the first game of most matches then he steps up a gear in the second, and overdrive when there's a third.

Watching the match against XS courtside really lets you appreciate how well this method works for him.

And then contrasting this with his loss in India just makes me think that he just wasn't really that bothered. But when he is bothered, like he was at the AE, is shows he still has it.

buibui2, visor and kwun like this.
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is interesting. and a smart strategy that i am sure was thought out in depth beforehand. as one gets older (and my goodness, 32 is NOT old), the body don't recover as fast and is more prone to injury. when i was in the 20s, i can just go out and play for hours on a whim. not anymore. the body takes more time to build up, and takes more time to recover.

overdoing it at older age means higher chances of injury. and i believe that is very carefully controlled by LD and the coaching staff.

physical strength do disappear when one is off training, mental strength do not. LD's greatest weapon is his mind and if they can build up the body slowly and injury free, in a controlled manner, they can make him peak at Rio.

i think that's the plan. the Chinese coaching staff have created dozens if not more world champions, it would be madness if they cannot even plan out something like this.

visor and Dias09 like this.
  8. phorge

phorge Regular Member

Everything points to one man doing the best possible preparation for one last and final push.

August never looked better.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I also discovered that Lin Dan has enrolled to play five tournaments in five consecutive weeks ! - beginning with last week's IND Open SS, followed by this week's MAS Open PSS, then next week's SIN Open SS, the following week's CHN Masters GPG,and finally, the Badminton Asia Championships - five tourneys back-to-back !

I believe it's unprecedented for him. Of course, I don't expect him to go deep in every one of them; as it is, he exited in R2 at the IND Open SS last week. Apparently, it's a strategic move on his part, a sort of insurance measure aimed at ensuring a high enough ranking in order to get a desirable draw at the Rio Olympics as far as possible.

buibui2 and kwun like this.
  10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Not only the coaches : LD himself went to 3 olympics, and several Asian games. I'm sure he can himself design the best program.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Never forget Grandmaster Tang Xianhu whom Lin Dan would surely turn to for advice, guidance and inspiration.

12. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

TBH I don't think Tang Xianhu is good at physical fitness management, or I should refer to the whole team of China. Before the generation of LD, Chinese MS players always retired around the age of 27. Zhao Jianhua, Yang Yang, Sun Jun, they all retired at 27. Xia Xuanze and Bao Chunlai left at 29,and Ji Xinpeng at 26. Zhao Jianhua, Sun Jun, Bao Chunlai, they were all top players at their generation and they all suffered from various injuries. China must work on this issue to protect the players especially promising young players.
    Since a few years ago LD has hired his own fitness coach who has been working on his strength and trying to keep him from injury. So we can still see him playing at the age of 33.

However Tang Xianhu and the whole Chinese coaching staff sure have very good strategies on the preparation of OG and of course they can figure out the best plan to keep LD's form before August. Never doubt that.I don't really mind if he got kicked out at early stage during some SS or GPG. OG means the most to China and LD this year and they may 'give up' some matches if necessary. Personally I don't really like this kind of things but I respect their choice. I expect to see the best of LD during Thomas Cup tho. I think this might be only chance to see him working his ass out before Rio.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I believe there is some old type of thinking similar to "no pain no gain". the harder one works physically, the better. while this is true to some extent, the latest research has shown that physical fitness is not just working harder and harder till the body breaks down. a combination of low intensity works combine with high intensity actually benefit the body just as well with fewer damage done to the body.

14. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

You have to keep in mind that these players were playing with the old points system, which produced longer and more physically demanding matches, of unknown lenght, when the contestants were evenly matched. The new points system is more of a sprint, with a fixed lenght, making it easier for the older players to still compete.

buibui2 and pcll99 like this.
  15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Different training systems. Oldschool Asian players did a lot of on-court training and less weight training and conditioning than they do now which puts a lot more stress on the joints (many impacts, less low-intensity recovery-boosting training).

buibui2 likes this.
  16. phorge

phorge Regular Member

In the current scoring system, where every point counts, you're going to feel the heat if you make too many errors. Players with mental toughness combined with quality shot making have a huge advantage. This is one crucial area where Lin Dan excels. He is definitely the player everybody wants to take down, but that's easier said than done.

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yes it is a great strategy for the way LD plays. It would be great if you could plot a graph of energy expended of LD vs his opponent. I would guess that most of his opponents would lose a lot of energy at the start and decline whereas LD is the opposite. And as we all know, when you tire just a little, your speed drops slightly - which may only be a fraction of a second slower, but enough to make a difference to your shot quality, and with that you lose options and have to play a more predictable game. And when you're predictable against LD, you're a walkover.

What makes it even more interesting is that, LD would make certain that his opponents use more energy in the first game than he does, even at the expense of losing the first game. In G1 he would repeatedly move them around a lot sometimes playing to the same corner again and again to ensure they tire the same muscles I guess. He's able to do this so well because of his amazingly accurate lifts and clears - and they really are nothing short of amazing. It makes you think that there may be some truth to his LiNing advert of hitting the shuttle into the tube!

But he doesn't seem to employ this strategy against all players though, those with good overhead attacks and cover ground well like CL, VA etc are dangerous.

Nine Tailed Fox and kwun like this.
  18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yup, doesnt matter if the opponent uses more energy than him if he crushes him under 10 points in 2 games :D

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

19. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I watching Lin dan game vs Jorgensen .. Lin dan plays a very disappointing game... Looking at the way he plays, he won't win the olypimics

20. BartNL

BartNL New Member

It seemed he was having a problem with the service judge , and with his material. And with himself , maybe....