2016 OUE SINGAPORE Open Superseries : FINALS (17th April)

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open/ Singapore Open/ China Masters 2016' started by CLELY, Apr 16, 2016.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

[​IMG]
    Venue :
    Singapore Indoor Stadium, SIN

Total prize-money
    : US$350,000

BWF page : http://bwfworldsuperseries.com/tournaments/2454/oue-singapore-open

Tournament website : http://www.singaporebadmintonopen.com.sg/

Ticket Information : http://www.singaporebadmintonopen.com.sg/ticketing.html

Live-Streaming : http://videostream.dn.ua/videopage/videoPage.php?g=c2J2b2JoK2F0Y3ZsbmhZ&c=en&i=eWlhaXVidGd1bA№f№f

SIN time : http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzresult.php?CiID=17912&forma=Find Time

FINALS (01.00pm) => http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/s...11F8AD-3CF5-4664-8D85-373DB957B215&d=20160417

Sony Dwi Kuncoro made headline to dispose two-time Olympic Champion Lin Dan, another upset also scored by Fu HF/Zhang N who eliminated hot favourite Lee YD/Yoo YS. CHN has three representatives in last round while INA, KOR, JPN have two slots each and followed by THA with 1 final berth.

WS, Ratchanok Intanon (THA) v Sun Yu (CHN)
    H-2-H stats : 4-1 / WR : 2 v 14
    Thailand super woman eyes a Superseries hat-trick and she's favoured to overcome the tall Chinese considering their head to head statistics and both finalists performance recently. Defending champion Sun Yu looked comfortable to defeat her younger teammate, the left-handed He Bingjiao while Intanon was troubled by Japanese wonder teen Akane Yamaguchi before prevailed 22-20 in second game. Overall, a convincing fashion for former world champion here as she didn't drop any game en route to final round. Sun also had impressive run to beat more fancied rival, Okuhara and Sung JH. It's against all odds for China number four to defend her title here.

XD, Ko Sung Hyun/Kim Ha Na (KOR) v Xu Chen/Ma Jin (CHN)
    H-2-H : 3-1 / WR : 3 v 5
    The Korean leading pair Ko/Kim are back on right track after they bagged back to back Superseries crowns in Europe tour end of last year. They displayed perfect combination to overpowered three-time winner Ahmad/Natsir at last four after experienced hard times against Chinese scratch pair Liu YC/Tang JH at quarterfinal stage. Their final opponent, Xu C/Ma J have relatively smooth path to last round, only forced to play extra point by their compatriot Wang YL/Chen QC in semifinal. The world number five tastes final again after they won INA Premier title ten months ago, this should be good opportunity for 2012 OG silver medalist to chase another Olympic ticket.

WD, Misaki Matsutomo/Ayaka Takahashi (JPN) v Nitya Krishinda Maheswari/Greysia Polii (INA)
    H-2-H : 3-2 / WR : 1 v 3
    An ideal final and high potential will be close battle tomorrow as their last encounter in IND SS couple of weeks ago. The world number one is strong contender for Rio gold and Maheswari/Polii will pose serious threat for Japanese as they did in 2014 Incheon Asian Games Final. Matsutomo/Takahashi once again played powerful and solid performance to outwit two-time World Champion Tian Q/Zhao YL in semifinal while the Indonesian took revenge over their last week losing against Jung KE/Shin SC. Recent All England champion has slight advantage to nail third Superseries title in 2016.

MS, Son Wan Ho (KOR) v Sony Dwi Kuncoro (INA)
    H-2-H : 1-1 / WR : 10 v 56
    A repeat of last year edition when two unseeded players face off in last round. Singapore Open shows its magic again for the underdogs particularly men's singles department. The qualifier Kuncoro stunned overwhelming favourite Lin Dan in thrilling semifinal duel that ended 22-20 at deciding game. Nothing to lose former Indonesian number one displayed tactical game plan that confused and forced the Chinese superstar fought hard. Only one step needed to retain his 2010 title and create happy ending here, he will face the resurgent Son Wan Ho who's back to fine form, defeated giant-killer Angus Ng Ka Long who outplayed world number one Chen Long previously. An intriguing final contest as both finalists aren't familiar each other, they had met twice with last meeting happened in TPE GP Gold, August 2010. The last time Son WH won Superseries title was 2014 Hong Kong Open while Kuncoro coincidentally was 2010 Singapore Open.

MD, Fu Haifeng/Zhang Nan (CHN) v Takeshi Kamura/Keigo Sonoda (JPN)
    H-2-H : 1-0 / WR : 4 v 19
    The Chinese number one was last beaten finalist a year ago and they're favoured to top podium tomorrow against the dynamic duo Kamura/Sonoda. The Japanese pair have eliminated two Chinese rivals, Chai B/Hong W also Li JH/Liu YC at last eight and semifinal respectively, career breakthrough for Kamura/Sonoda as they reached first ever final in Superseries tournament. Fu HF/Zhang N demonstrate sharp performance along this tournament including how they downed Korean top-ranked combination Lee YD/Yoo YS in straight games. Fu/Zhang manged three times runner-up in SIN Open, INA Premier and JPN Open last year, they're frequently being quarterfinalist in this new season.

XoXoXo, nizze, blabl and 8 others like this.
  2. Amlite

Amlite Regular Member

What a great sum-up, CLELY :) *thumbs up

My prediction for final:
    SY
    XC/MJ
    NKM/GP
    SDK
    FH/ZN

Looking forward to exciting matches tomorrow ;)

emrebelezoglu likes this.
  3. Vijay P.

Vijay P. Regular Member

An impressive overview of today's final. Thanks Clely. The MS will be something of an anticlimax after the much anticipated clash of LD and CL did not materialise. But its still the game of the day. Let the " Singapore Open magic" work its charm and make this a memorable final.

CLELY and emrebelezoglu like this.
  4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    After laying my hopes on Lin Dan in the semis, I'm looking silly :(

Nevertheless I'll stick my neck out for Son Wan Ho in MS.
    Unless Sun Yu pulls an accuracy wand out of her hat, I'll swear by Ratchanok in WS.

5. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

If Ratchanok beat sun yu, she will be the new world no.1 next week.

I am rooting for Ratchanok. Come on Ratchanok, you can do it.!

6. pajon

pajon New Member

SME bussiness
    They said RI has the edge on SU. I think so:rolleyes: and RI will make success in 2 straight games.:):D

#6 pajon, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    prediction:

Ratchanok Intanon : this girl is unstoppable!
    Ko Sung Hyun / Kim Ha Na : their performance last night was outstanding. but I do look forward to a Ma/Kim battle at the net
    Misaki/Ayaka : too strong
    Sony : Just because
    Zhang/Fu : too much power plus Zhang was very impressive lately, and without XD to deal with he has all the focus/energy on MD

#7 kwun, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    soulpx and Oldhand like this.
  8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

The way he is playing now, Zhang Nan is the best MD player out there!

As for singles, we can all safely say that a 'Son' is going to win! :D

#8 Oldhand, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2016
  9. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Son WH is far from having the potency and skill of Sony. But he is a perfect grinder! I am afraid after all those tight matches by Sony it will be too much.
    Still, I am predicting a win in two games for Sony.
    I don't see how Sun Yu could win, as she will hardly surprise RI.

Oldhand likes this.
  10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    My predictions :

WS - RI - too strong and overwhelming favourite to win.
    XD - Ko Sung Hyun/Kim Ha Na - They are playing well whereas XC isn't and this could be the factor.
    WD - Gonna be close, 1st seed vs 2nd seed - 55-45 for JPN pair provided MM is fully recovered from her ankle.
    MS - My heart says SDK but my head says SWH. SWH is a grinder and won't be giving free points. I am afraid SDK doesn't have enough gas left after so many 3 setters.
    MD - ZN/FHF to win after disposing the WR#1. Hard to see any upset but hope to be proven wrong so that we can have an exciting match.

Oldhand, soulpx and CLELY like this.
  11. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Ratchanok Intanon going for an historic 3 consecutive SS final victory (which have only be achieved by two other players) and for the WR n°1, which she said was really one of her goal. She will give everything tomorrow :)

Oldhand likes this.
  12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    sonoda and kamura are one of the most exciting pairs to watch. their foot speed & racket speed make up for their lack of height & power.

i consider sonoda to be the pound for pound hardest smasher.

13. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Sony played well yesterday in the last stages of the match. It could have gone either way. But Sony nailed it. He deserved the victory.

Some memorable things:

1) Seriously, Line judges are completely messed up (Need to keep their family problems outside.;))
    2) Very bad quality of BWF videos (eg. Lindan vs Sony)
    3) Fu/Zhang simply outclassed LYD/YYS
    4) As usual, WS discipline is really interesting. SunYu has a chance to defend her title provided she does not allow Ratchanok to play her normal game. Can she?
    5) Sony was amazing yesterday. He is meeting a player who defeated many glorified grinders in this tournament. So, if Sony need to win, he need to overcome resilient SWH. In an interview, SWH said that he played long rallies to overcome NG kg Long. Yesterday, His strategy was to continue the rally until the opponent makes mistakes because of impatience. Do Sony has stamina to overcome this?

Oldhand and CLELY like this.
  14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    @Baddyforall : yeah. the MS match video was all broken around the 3rd game. but luckily cleared up near the end.

I very much enjoyed the Ratchanok vs. Ayane match. A lot of dynamic and variations, less robotic like many of the Chinese players. Sun Yu will have to start doing what Ayane do, don't lift unless she had to!

15. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

SY can win provided if she can play with confidence and able to change her game. she is more of a robotic type similar to WYH. but I think RI has an edge coz she is in good form lately.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm rooting for:

RI (May)
    SDK
    ;)

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Son Wan Ho to win today despite recieving boos from whole Singapore and Badminton Central
    Fu/Zhang to bottle it as usual
    Sun Yu to deliver another irrelevant performance

18. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

When he hits clean, Hong Wei's smash is massively frightening!

Black Tiger and Sealman like this.
  19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Why would anyone boo Son Wan Ho?
    I've never seen him play ugly or complain or try anything 'underhand'.

20. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Absolutely right - the official video streaming was rubbish!
    :mad::mad::mad:

Sadly, although they have a 'clean' recording, the BWF has uploaded the 'broken' video of the MS SF.

PS: I'm gonna use your expression "glorified grinders" in my next work-related meeting - :D :D