2016 Badminton ASIA Championships : SEMIFINALS (30th April)

Discussion in 'Continental Championships 2016' started by CLELY, Apr 29, 2016.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Too many fans talk too much of Rio, as if the results of the present tourney has no other meaning then to prepare for it.

The present tourney has a meaning in itself, though Rio is also playing a role a victory in SF is still something in itself.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Did we conduct a poll on this match? I don't remember.
    If not, you are just framing your own predictions.

Of course LD fans want him to win, so do LCW fans want LCW to shine. And many viewers like to support the underdog, which is LCW, to create an upset. Furthermore, LD has recently succumbed to even a discarded veteran in the Singapore Open, so who can guarantee he will win? Just because some of his most ardent fans gave him his nick GOAT, LD will prevail all the time? Of course not, he his only human and he has his weaknesses.

So to be fair to LCW who put in his best effort today, we should celebrate his win not as "unfortunate".
    The only "unfortunate" should be ascribed to LD, who unfortunately lost his match to a fortunate LCW!

And not:
    "...unfortunately the winner today is Lee Chong Wei but not Lin Dan."

indrg, nokh88, jma97 and 1 other person like this.
  3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Life is too short, laughter is the best medicine relieving stress as we look at what the heck other regions of this world is happening today...as for 'sometimes don't agree with me', I am doing quite well then I guess, if only those contractors and consultants that I hired to do my projects can sometimes don't agree as opposed to most of the time don't agree with me, arrr that would make my day, dang!

4. vinaries

vinaries Regular Member

Well said. Words of wisdom.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

5. blabl

blabl Regular Member

I am a great fan of Lee Chong Wei too. No worries I believe that Lee Chong Wei have what it takes to win the gold medals in Olympics 2016. Once again congratulations for winning the match today Lee Chong Weim

Loh likes this.
  6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If Fukuman/Yanao wins tomorrow, they will overtake the Koreans. Interesting? Will there be team orders? Surely it'll be stupid if there are no team orders

Edit: CHN has been doing team orders for years because they have the luxury to do so. Now JPN has the luxury.

Sent from my supercomputer using Tapatalk

7. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Every players mind and heart is locked on Rio now. It's their ultimate target and it's getting close. They're all now adjusting and preparing for the final showdown. If it's really that important for our players, so should it be for all the fans.

8. blabl

blabl Regular Member

I sincerely hope that we can maintain peace in this forum and except the fact that all the players who won today have played to their level best.

#348 blabl, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  9. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Okay I hope that everyone can except the fact that Lee Chong Wei played very well and really deserved to win today.

10. blabl

blabl Regular Member

To avoid further controversies I am going to explain why I put this up earlier on. Correct that both players have played to their level best. Then o said it is unfortunate that in tournament there can only be one winner and not two winners. The unfortunate part is referring there can only be one winner in a match. Hence today Lee Chong Wei is the winner. So I hope Lin Dan fans will not feel very disappointed today.

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Let's talk about Rio when it's Rio. For now, let's just agree that whatever results we have today is no indication on what will happen next week.

Sent from my supercomputer using Tapatalk

visor, renbo, lodoss and 2 others like this.
  12. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Nothing unusual happen. And sorry for the late reply. Just that both sides just wanted to win badly hence the match have been prolonged with extremely long rallies in between points.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    If we think winning two Olympic gold medals is great, just take a look at the table below and we have to admire those who won 8 golds and more. Granted that every sport/game is different and conditions change over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multiple_Olympic_gold_medalists

More medals are available in some events than others, and the number of events in which medals are available overall have changed over time.

No. Athlete Nation Sport Years Games Gender Gold Silver Bronze Total

1 Phelps, MichaelMichael Phelps [​IMG] United States Swimming 2004–2012 Summer M 18 2 2 22
    2 Latynina, LarisaLarisa Latynina [​IMG] Soviet Union Gymnastics 1956–1964 Summer F 9 5 4 18
    3 Nurmi, PaavoPaavo Nurmi [​IMG] Finland Athletics 1920–1928 Summer M 9 3 0 12
    4 Spitz, MarkMark Spitz [​IMG] United States Swimming 1968–1972 Summer M 9 1 1 11
    5 Lewis, CarlCarl Lewis [​IMG] United States Athletics 1984–1996 Summer M 9 1 0 10
    6 Bjørndalen, Ole EinarOle Einar Bjørndalen [​IMG] Norway Biathlon 1998–2014 Winter M 8 4 1 13
    7 Dæhlie, BjørnBjørn Dæhlie [​IMG] Norway Cross-country skiing 1992–1998 Winter M 8 4 0 12
    7 Fischer, BirgitBirgit Fischer [​IMG] Germany Canoeing 1980–2004 Summer F 8 4 0 12
    9 Kato, SawaoSawao Kato [​IMG] Japan Gymnastics 1968–1976 Summer M 8 3 1 12
    9 Thompson, JennyJenny Thompson [​IMG] United States Swimming 1992–2004 Summer F 8 3 1 12
    11 Biondi, MattMatt Biondi [​IMG] United States Swimming 1984–1992 Summer M 8 2 1 11
    12 Ewry, RayRay Ewry [​IMG] United States Athletics 1900–1908 Summer M 8 0 0 8

14. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Yes looks like LCW is peaking at the right time...

he was right to say that LD was peaking at the wrong time...

he must be good at doing this in the past, look at his history and how he handled the match today, he must be right, very right, always right...

so he must be doing much better than LD always, and therefore had the confidence to say so...

I am sure he will be doing great in Rio, just like what he always did and does...

15. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Do you really think or believe LD played his best ? :p

16. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    But too much of these sports are just the same sports but divided into different classes or categories. While badminton MS they only give away one Gold. Not really comparable in my opinion.

17. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

I always reckon it is not fair to compare the number of medals amongst players of different sports... no matter how great a player in some sports (say even Michael Jordan, Pele and Maradona, even if they play in Olympics), they could never be possible to win more than 1 medal (no matter gold, silver or bronze) in one Olympics. No could we say any players in this list is greater than MJ, Pele and the like in sports??? or they will use less effort than the players in swimming, tracks and fields and gymnastics so they don't deserve more medals???

so absolutely unfair...

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I remember they say:

"THE BEST IS YET TO BE" :D

19. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Their plays and actions now are all tailored and adjusted to condition themselves for Rio. I think a lot of players already doing the begin with the end in mind.

20. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    ChR2mA4U4AA-tlc.jpg

The best is yet to be seen in Rio :rolleyes::p