Yonex Aerosonic 0.61 string

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by lcw the best, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

Tried the Aerosonic today at 26lbs..... WOW...!!!!

My usual string is the BG66UM and have tried the ZM62, 62F, 66F, 66FP.... Its probably a personal preference thing, but I just cannot get used to the feel of the new Zymax Fire/Fire Power range.... Really liked the original ZM62 but unable to source any at a decent price as I think it has been discontinued...? Hence felt that I really needed to check out the AS61.

Sounds great, hits and feels similar to the BG66UM from my perspective and really did not take much to get used to it. Durability..??? only time will tell. Stringing was a dream, particularly with joint string grommets.

....oh and did I mention, sounds great....

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Stringer's World was clearing out ZM62 at crazy prices last month... don't know if there's any left.

3. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

Thanks Visor, they had individual packs left but no 200m rolls. I figured, better to get used to a current string than to try and hang on to a superseded model that might not be available in the near future. Had quite a few customers unhappy about the feel of the new Zymax F/FP range when I have tried to change them across and I have not been looking forward to the day that my current 200m reel runs out.... again its a personal preference thing, but the customer is always right....

Judging from my first run with the AS61, I'm confident they will be able to make the transition but again, durability is a question mark. Interestingly, the original Zymax 62, despite being thin, was quite durable....

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Tennistown.de seems to have some reels of yellow ZM62 left: http://www.tennistown.de/product_info.php?products_id=8391
    Shipping to Australia will be 25 EUR though but AFAIK you won't have to pay 19% german VAT.

Have you given the Li-Ning No. 1 a try? It's like a more durable (and I mean a lot more durable) version of BG66UM added with a pinch of ZM62(F).

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, LN #1 is too slippery compared to ZM62.

Actually @Stealthking you should give Gosen GT5 a try. I find that one the closest to ZM62. Me being a previous ZM62 user, GT5 has a very similar crispness, repulsion, touch and rough texture for bite and control that ZM62 has.

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I have a set of GT5 coming from MBS and I'm curious to give it a try.

The surface of the No.1 could indeed be a little bit more rough - that's the only thing that keeps it from being the perfect string. If LN made a No.1 with a BG80-roughness, I think I would never ever even touch another string... :rolleyes:

7. Bugbait

Bugbait Regular Member

I've been playing exclusively with BGAS, replacing BG80P on my 2 main rackets since it was available in the UK last year (both at 24lbs). More forgiving than BG80P, sounds nicer but not convinced it produces more power for my rackets and playing style. However, due to an extended period away from the game the forgiving aspect (larger usable sweet spot) wins out for now. Never been a BG66F/UM user but the few that have transitioned to BGAS from the former at my club like it.

Durability wise it seems similar to the BG66 series but definitely weaker than the BG80P, as expected. I'm breaking the BGAS every 2-16 hours of play but I am mishitting more than usual at the moment. Others at the club are getting a good 2 to 5 weeks out of it, playing about 4-6 hours per week. All my breaks have been at the 11 to 1 mark so hard to blame it on the string, just poor timing/coordination on my part.

8. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Bit late to the party, but i've only just had a chance to get some decent play out of BGAS.

Really like the repulsion, and it's rougher than LN#1 so the feel is preferable for me - it's like a BG80/LN#1 hybrid which i'm really liking!

Stringing wise, yes, this string is a bit of a pain. On the other hand, it highlighted a lot of stringing mistakes I was making (mentioned earlier on how you can easily strip your coating). On a bad stringing job, this string WILL break within the first hour. I find now having gone through 2 sets properly (2 sets breaking early), that the strings fray and break in the centre, as expected of a decent stringing job.

Might switch back to BG80 just to see if i'm missing anything, but otherwise, it looks like i'll be using BGAS for a while yet.

9. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    First time stringing this, I put the clamps a touch too tight and nicked the string and the mains broke whilst I was stringing the cross.
    Second time stringing this, I dialled back the clamps, but whilst stringing I noticed some fraying inside the grommet (see picture), not sure how I got fraying there? Then I finished the job and realised I somehow manage to nick the mains string even though I didn't notice it before. :(:(:(
    I'm playing today so we'll see how long it lasts.

Sounds great though! I might just sell the rest of the packets I have left and stick to LN1 haha.

Attached Files:

10. Bugbait

Bugbait Regular Member

Fraying from awl damage in the shared hole?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

11. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I personally find BGAS to be the easy string. There's never a problem with shared holes or blinded holes, it weaves easy, by far the fastest string jobs on average.

I guess you are required to clean and adjust your clamps a bit more careful, but if that's OK, then you'll be racing through the rest of your job.

12. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Considering to give clients a rebate for using BGAS :) No hassels, saves me time - and we must be honest, no natural long life coming from that .61 millimeters worth of wire... If all clients played BGAS, I'd have easy jobs and a lot of them...

13. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    It's very easy to string. If you have a racket with large grommets such as a Li Ning racket, you get the same comfort from .65mm strings too.

14. Soumyadeep Dhar

Soumyadeep Dhar New Member

Guyz...I wanna buy Aerosonic bcoz of its gr8 power..... Can someone tell me how long will it last at say 15 lbs(for even more power and durability)... I play three days a week wid 2 hours a day.....pls help

15. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

15 lbs seems really light for any string, and you'll lose a lot of control from BGAS because it already has high repulsion. Might also lose power.

All we can tell you is the string is the least durable out of all strings you can buy. Mine lasted ~3 weeks playing 2 hours 4x a week strung at 24lbs. It probably would last 6 months at 15 lbs, but if you hit hard, then it might still only be a few weeks.

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Or you can just buy a set of strings and don't put it in a racket at all. You will get almost endless durability that way (if stored in a dark, cool place...).

...pffff... 15 lbs.... pleaaaase.... You can try to string it with spaghetti al dente at that tension - the result will probably feel the same.

Stever7425 and tib67 like this.
  17. Soumyadeep Dhar

I usually play wid 22 to 25 lbs....but I wanted 2 try d destructive power of aerosonic and 15 lbs combined...d smashes would be bullets....

18. Soumyadeep Dhar

But pls advice how long will it last....coz its expensive plus durability like 5.... Will it atleast last for 4 to 5 months at 15 lbs??? ( 3 days a week and 2 hours a day)

19. Soumyadeep Dhar

I mean what's wrong in experimenting wid power...ri8?

20. Soumyadeep Dhar

How will it lose power of its strung at low power?? Its supposed 2 gain power ri8??