2016 XiamenAir AUSTRALIAN Open Superseries : SEMIFINALS (11th June)

Discussion in 'Indonesia Open / Australian Open 2016' started by CLELY, Jun 10, 2016.

1. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

Yixin/Qingchen vs Nitya/polii for tomorrow. Not sure there will be an upset.

2. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

It's not possible. The top 2 seed for WS of 2016 Olympics are decided. In fact, all top 2 seeds of all five disciplines are decided already.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oops, you're right, I got mixed up with doubles, confused myself.

So Li Yongbo, dare you do it ?!

4. AlaZheng

AlaZheng Regular Member

Tomorrow wd final will be interesting and one of the way to prove is this new pair can surprise LYB.
    I agree if CQ is talented player and maybe TJH could be the best smasher for her.
    Rather than Bao yixin. Moreover TJH should be given chance after Olympic.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The scratch pair of Bao Yixin/Chen Qingchen are not experienced enough, haven't really jelled or developed a tacit understanding yet. I doubt they are ready to upset the highly experienced INA pair.

6. AlaZheng

AlaZheng Regular Member

Where can I find the seeded for Olympic?

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

7. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Wow, CQC booked two final place in SS by the age of 18. Very impressive promising talent.

8. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

Yes, Sun Yu should also be considered. it's a tough call for the coaching team because none of them really have an advantage over other players. but I think sun yu is still young and peaking to her advantage while WYH is probably just over the hill and see if she can keep herself fit physically and mentally.

9. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

QUOTE="Baddyforall, post: 2466920, member: 123108"]Chen Qingchen is amazing. She is a gift to china. Is she still junior? If so, what can i say. For her age, she is extremely talented.[/QUOTE]
    CQC is quite impressing, the coaching team should have realized earlier and send her to Olympics. doesn't matter how young a player, because some are born fighter no need much training. what an opportunity missed.

10. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

With Yixin good defense and Chen offensive play, there's always a chance plus Nitya Maheswari just recovered from minor injury.

11. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

The seeding is not officially out yet. But it is based upon the world ranking of July 21, 2016.
    http://system.bwf.website/documents/folder_1_81/Regulations/Olympic-Games/Part III - Section 5B - Olympic Games - Regulations for Badminton Competition - Rio 2016.pdf
    Read 2.2.

To understand how the world ranking works, read
    http://system.bwf.website/documents/folder_1_81/Regulations/GCR/Part III - Section 1A - GCR Appendix 6 - World Ranking System.pdf

In short, even though BWF tournaments (World Championships/Olympic Games) offer the highest ranking point; the results of 5 Superseries Premier tournaments have the greatest influence over the world ranking due to little difference between the ranking points offered by Level 1 compared with SSP. The Superseries Finals is graded as SSP. The non-premier SS have significant influence, but second to SSP. Asia Championships is graded as SS; European Championship is graded as GPG. You can also look at the list of entries for the remaining tournaments counted towards the World Ranking of July 21, which is available at http://bwfcorporate.com/events/calendar/. You can then calculate the maximum ranking points each player/pair can earn should he/she/they win. Basically, only ten highest ranking points count toward world ranking, hence 12 SS tournaments can basically be the biggest factors over the world rankings.

For Men Singles, LCW has said he would not compete at any international tournament before 2016 Olympics. His name was on Chinese Taipei Open GPG list; but he probably would not participate in it. Regardless, his ranking points is set to be highest from June 9, 2016 until Rio Olympics; because CL has no chance of overtaking it due to his quarterfinal loss on Australia Open; the rest are too far behind. CL's only chance to overtake LCW is to win both Australia Open and Chinese Taipei GPG without LCW's playing in Chinese Taipei GPG or with LCW's early round loss in Chinese Taipei GPG. As it stands, LCW does not need play anymore before Olympics to remain at top.

For Women's Singles, the last tournament Carolina Marin played is Indonesia Open; while the last tournament WYH played is Australia Open. Again, WYH did not participate in remaining tournaments (two GPGs) and Australia Open is the last SS counted towards seeding of OG. Their ranking points are close. Basically, it sealed the first two spots.

For Women's Doubles, Yu Yang/Tang Yuan Ting last played in Australia Open while World NO 1 gave a walkover on quarterfinal stage. World NO 2 did not participate in the remaining two GPGs; their ranking points could not overtake World NO 1.

For Men's Doubles, The NO 1 spot is certain. Because LYD/YYS has many more ranking points compared with the rest. The third pair could not overtake the second pair either.

In Mixed Doubles, Ko/Kim did not play in Australia Open. Their points are close behind. That decides the top 2 seeds.

Even though it is supposed to be based on World Ranking of July 21, the Australia Open is the last major tournament held before the July 21. With plenty of withdrawals or non-participation from top players in Australia Open, that basically decided the top 2 seeds.

#231 thljcl, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    Loh, nilesh123, blabl and 2 others like this.
  12. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

In other words, top players' world ranking are largely influenced by SS. the second-tier players are largely influenced by GPG/GG. Those who have very low world ranking due to being junior or just back on court play in Level 4 and Level 3 to improve their world rankings to qualify for SS. You cannot be top players without playing at SS.

#232 thljcl, Jun 11, 2016
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Another point to consider Sun Yu is as an underdog going to Rio, she's not expected to deliver, can play more freely with less pressure than any of the top contenders. At the Olympics, often strange things happen, full of surprises, unexpected twists and turns, some athletes rising to the occasion and playing above themselves, some crumbling from crippling nerves though highly fancied. Sending a younger player on the rise and with a boosted morale can have the element of surprise to all her opponents. I'd take such a gamble if I were LYB and be prepared to suffer the consequences; it's a calculated risk.

14. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

I think that Badminton Association of China has already made decision. They have until May 31, 2016 to accept or decline invitation for their highest-ranked players/pairs. If they decline, then their spot can only be taken by the lower-ranked player/pair from the same member association.
    http://system.bwf.website/documents/folder_1_81/Regulations/Olympic-Games/Part III - Section 5A - Olympics Qualifying Regulations for Rio 2016.pdf
    Read E & F

Based upon what has been published by BWF, China decided to send Wang Yi Han and Li Xue Rui.

http://system.bwfbadminton.com/uploads/2016/06/08/Olympic qualifiers from WR 05-05-16 WS - 8 June phase 2.pdf

As you can see here, it has been confirmed on May 30, 2016.

Lower-ranked player can still play if the higher-ranked player cannot play due to injury or sickness.

#234 thljcl, Jun 11, 2016
  15. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Sun Yu did not prove anything yet. She crashed in first or second round quite often. Send her to Rio would be a scandal

16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

It is the second tournament in a row where WYH plays well in one match and totally crash in the following one. Last time, it was against TTY.

17. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

I don't think that is a scandal so to speak. WC/OG is not purely merit-based (based only on World Ranking), unlike SSP. Each member association has discretion to decide whom they want to send to Olympics. That said, China wants OG medals badly; so they would send those whom they think stand the highest chance.

China has already decided whom they want to send. Perhaps you guys should talk about it before May 31, 2016.

#237 thljcl, Jun 11, 2016
  18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    You must have faith.

blabl likes this.
  19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

When I say scandal, I mean unjustified decision, way too discretionary. When LXR was chosen for last OLY, there was objective basis for that. Sun Yu is far, very far, from having the results LXR had back then

20. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

As far as LXR is concerned, I do think that LXR was on course to take World NO 1 based upon her performance that year. I'm just talking about how the rules work. When it comes to fairness, it's all fair as long as it does not break the rule. In that sense, there is no such thing as "way too discretionary".

In regard to Sun Yu, while I saw great potential in her, I do agree that she needs to show greater consistency in the upcoming tournaments. But, the other's point is not entirely invalidated either. When we talk about the result of a single tournament, there is always some random chances; and that is the beauty of sport.

renbo likes this.