Wang Yihan ( 王仪涵 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by suetyan, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, the insect bite marks were so obvious on her arms as shown on TV on Final's day in her match with Tai TY; it must have bothered her.

Her comments on her Olympic main rivals are interesting and revealing:

Wang said any number of players could win her event but felt Chongqing-born Li would be hard to beat and perhaps the biggest threat to her own gold ambitions.

"I think Li's game is really complete overall," she said.

"We've both got our different strengths.

"There are other players like Ratchanok, Marin and (Indian player) Saina Nehwal who all have a chance but I think Li is still at a higher level."

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At first I was a bit surprised Wang Yihan didn't name Tai Tzu Ying as one of her biggest threats in Rio, esp when TTY beat her in the INA PSS Final, though WYH played poorly, her insect bites notwithstanding.

Now I understand why, today at the AUS Open QFs, WYH avenged her defeat on TTY in two straight sets, the second more convincingly, exposing her opponent's vulnerabilities.

3. Harish Reddy M

Harish Reddy M Regular Member

Student
    If I am not wrong Tai tzu ying is the only active player against whom Wang Yihan has a losing head to head. It might just be that after winning Indonesia open, a premier, after a long title drought since 2014 super series finals, having good wins en route, Tai is just emotionally and physically a little spent and didn't play to her best. I just think Yihan mentioned those players who were winning most as possible threat. And Tai wasn't one of them before last week. Also mostly she meant anyone can beat anyone else, except Li Xuerui who is significantly above the others. This is what she meant perhaps. Just my 2 cents.

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Maybe it is the other way. WYH was mentally and physically exhausted beating CM in 3-sets that she has nothing much left in her tank when she faced TTY in IO final.

5. Harish Reddy M

Harish Reddy M Regular Member

Student
    Could be yes, but my point was just that it is not as if Tai tzu ying does not pose any threat whatsoever to Wang Yihan as was implied in the other post. She cant lead in head to head unless she poses considerable threat. If you want to consider tougher opponents before etc even Tai had to face excellent players in all her previous rounds before the final.

I was just questioning why Tai case is treated in a different way, when for other players after winning a title, they are considered not to have enough motivation to strive again just next week. And even almost dismiss as if she is no threat, completely vulnerable against the particular opponent and that previous win was once in a blue moon, all this when she leads in head to head and quite a few encounters.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I myself would include Tai TY as among the main threats to anyone at Rio while agreeing with Wang Yihan that Li Xuerui is the best prospect for gold.

I think WYH meant the main threats, not that TTY is not a threat, as in the sense that they are the most difficult opponents for her. Btw, I find TTY's game quite similar to IR, with frequent hard smashing from anywhere and full of highly deceptive shots.

OneToughBirdie's observation has a point though for in last week's final, WYH was indeed a spent force, played well below par, not to mention her insect bites problem bothering her. Still I count TTY as one of the main threats to anyone at Rio though she can be inconsistent, error-prone at times but on her day she is as good as anyone.

I always believe that when your opponent plays badly, you don't know how good you really are, only when both of you are at your best, will you get a clearer picture of your respective strengths and weaknesses.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I realized WYH has a much better H2H with IR than with TTY, perhaps is her current feeling and perception, considering IR's been in excellent form lately winning three back-to-back tournaments as well as beating her for the first time in the last encounter. Just saying.

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Congratulations Wang Yihan for getting selected for Rio Olympics.

[​IMG]

9. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

Source for this?

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

The information is all over on Global System of Interconnected computer networks. Wang Yihan fans are dancing in joy. Rumors of Wang Shixian retiring have popped up out of nowhere.

11. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Disappointed to see her lose so badly against Saina in Australia. She battled well against Tai and won but in the final, it was a disaster. Not sure if she was injured or Saina played amazingly well, even though Saina has a poor head to head record against Yihan.

12. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    You typically love the sensation, Fox :D

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Internal rivalry in China is no less fierce as elsewhere. Remember Du Pengyu resigning or rather retiring in a huff after realizing Lin Dan is coming back for good at least until Rio and in view of the new BWF/IOC quota of max 2 per MA/NOC. I think he was only 26 years old then and well within the top 10 world ranking, as high as WR3 at one time.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd expect Wang Yihan and Wang Shixian to retire after Rio, maybe the latter one , two years later just to see if she can stay as WS2. But doesn't mean the competition is any less keen.

For sure, Li Xuerui will still be going strong and with the likes of the younger cohort Sun Yu , He Bingjiao and Chen Yufei, just to name three, rising steadily to vie for top honours, the internal rivalry is as fierce as ever, crazy.

No wonder fewer and fewer Chinese parents are willing to let their only child, mostly, take up sport as a career .Which parent can bear to see their children spent the best years of their youth and adulthood and end up with practically nothing to fall back on the rest of their lives.

If Chen Jin whom I think retired at age 27 were not offered a coaching job by Li Yiongbo, I wonder what he'll be doing now. I pity Du Pengyu who suddenly retired at age 26 two years ago and nothing more is heard of him, wonder what other talents he has and how he is doing or surviving.

kelana likes this.
  15. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Perhaps one day after quitting the national team, some may consider to engage in club activity, esp. if she or he has no other talent and still need to win his/her bread...

If you know Wang Yimei, the former member of the Chinese women's volleyball NT, quitted after Lang Ping's era (somewhere in 2013/2014), today she's playing in the INA's pro league as well as the BRA player, Marianne Steinbrecher (Mari) and the USA player, Logan Tom.

I think being a "top" athlete (at least Top-20, better at Top-10) at one time is still a pretty good choice for the young generation rather than ending up as the dull office salarymen/-women...the top positions there only have few seats too :) and how many indeed achieve their wanted ways... in conclusion, some sports are still pretty good choices if being identified as having some talents there. Player like WSX
    can still reside within the Top-10 within a couple of years, or worse, within the Top-20.

Life is of tribulation and struggle, there's just no easy path except for the some "lucky" souls, or "exceptional" ones...

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    My favourite are Wei Qiuyue 魏秋月 and Hui Ruoqi 惠若琪.

The former is very calm even under the most stressful of circumstances while the latter is the prettiest sportswoman in China!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    The prettiest member of the CHN NT? You have to see Wei Qiuyue and Zheng Yixin dressed in party gowns like here :D

Sina Sports in the late January 2016 - The 2015 CCTV Sports Awards held in Beijing National Stadium on January 24, 2016: the Chinese Women's Volleyball Team won the Award for The Best Team and Jenny Lang Ping was awarded as The Best Coach.
    [​IMG]
    Wei Qiuyue (top) and Zheng Yixin (below, in blue gown in the middle)
    [​IMG]
    However, many westerners said that Zeng Chunlei is the sexiest (bottommost pic, front seat, rightmost) :p
    [​IMG]

gelopisan and pcll99 like this.
  18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    This is what this forum should be about.

Sharing pictures of pretty athletes instead of some pointless bickering.

blabl and kelana like this.
  19. badminton-watcher

badminton-watcher Regular Member

CHN won BRA!!! :) Top the group with russia undefeated, both losing 3 sets

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

20. badminton-watcher

badminton-watcher Regular Member

Rio 2016 Wang Yihan

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

renbo likes this.