RIO Olympics - non-badminton events

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by kwun, Aug 9, 2016.

1. blabl

blabl Regular Member

I am certainly very impressed with the USA team good results. They topped the Olympics games thus far with 32 medals. (11 gold, 11 silver, 10 bronze)

On top of that I am so amazed with their swimmers. All their swimmers can swim very well and produce good results. 21 of their medals won thus far are from swimming.

Swimming medals won thus far. (8 gold, 5 silver, 8 bronze). Wow. :)

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

US team always dominate Summer Olympic Games and high possible to top medal standing in Rio at the end of games, they're king of swimming pool since long time ago ;)

blabl likes this.
  3. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Yes I agreed with you. So do you know the secret of their success? Mind sharing with me. :)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    we need to have different badminton events.

11 points
    15 points
    21 points
    25 points
    31 points

and then multiply that with 5 events and then add team events too.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Congrats to MAS for winning silver behind China for Women's synchronized diving:

Diving
    Women's Synchronised 10m Platform Final

Result

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MAS
    CHEONG Jun Hoong
    PAMG Pandelela Rinong
    So these hard-working girls have the mental strength to be the second best in the world.

blabl likes this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Me too, I was favouring Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen for this Olympics but Li Xiaoxia is just to good and with only two spots, CHN has to ensure they sent their very best, safe bets or sure winners.

Fan Zhengdong is a child prodigy, still young at 19, born 22 Jan 1997 but already WR2 now. By right he deserves to play at the Olympics but, from what I know, CHN always give preference to experience over youth, so FZD just have to wait his turn; that's the price he pays for being a CHN player.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Aiyah, I missed the WS Table Tennis Final, mixed up the time schedule.

Great, Ding Ning is Olympic Champion !

Kim Song I takes bronze for North Korea. Well done.

8. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Yes what a miss indeed. Anyway I really like China table tennis players a lot. They are really good and of the top class players.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The DPRK WR50 Kim Song I is only 22 years old, celebrating her birthday with a bronze medal win. En route to the finale, she had accounted for several upsets, beating two top Japanese players, WR6 Kasumi Ishikawa and WR8 Ai Fukuhara, and WR13 Yu Mengyu. An impressive run indeed for one who played so few international world class tournaments, undoubtedly a remarkable talent, her extraordinary defensive style quite a handful for most of her opponents.

blabl likes this.
  10. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Unfortunately she is playing for North Korea and not South Korea. Big difference here. :p:D:)

11. visor

visor Regular Member

That's because a while ago USA was smart to realize which sport had the best returns in gold medals. (Swimming has 32 events with 32 potential golds, just FYI.) And since then has poured in funding at every level to build up and discover new potential star swimmers. Like Ledecky, Phelps.

And it seems like some other countries like Canada and Australia have been doing so too, but and the results are starting to show.

#71 visor, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I just finished watching the replay on TV, Kim Song I ran towards the coach, hugged him emotionally for a while before shaking hands with Ai, then sat down sobbing uncontrollably, after the sensational bronze medal victory.

Kim's WR50 is deceptive, she's certainly a top 10 player any time. I think she can match her famous South Korean defender Kim Kyung Ah , now retired (in 2014) and 39 years old, one day, still a long way to go.

Don't worry, I'm optimistic the two divided families will be reunited one day as both sides are patriotic and really want it. The historical background and political reasons for what's happening in the Korean peninsula are most unfortunate, fairly complicated to discuss here. Suffice to say that when the wills of the two peoples who are actually one family are of one mind, they will overcome their difficulties and differences and come back together again one day, in the not too distant future, for peace and prosperity in Northeast Asia.

kwun and blabl like this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Now watching the gold medal match replay, Ding Ning vs Li Xiaoxia. What a cracking final.

14. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

watched the last 10mins+ of the female handball grp match between Netherlands and South Korea this morning. Thrilling match where the Koreans played catch-up to even the match at 32-32 before the umpire awarded the Dutch a penalty in the last second. Lucky for the Koreans, it was saved by the keeper.

15. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

well, i'm sure of you'll glued to the tv for the crème de la Crème of the swimming event, Synchronised swimming

16. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

i'm waiting for rhythmic gymnastics :)

17. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Good I myself wanted to see this happen too. :)

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hmm...but don't expect our dear kwun to try out syncronised swimming in order to appreciate it. Otherwise, I'd have to imagine him getting a bunch of pretty ladies and he's the odd one out, the thorn among the roses, in his swimming trunk in the midst of flowers in one-piece shiny costumes - what a sight it'll be !:p:):D

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

see kwun in his swimming trunk in the midst of flowers in one-piece shiny costumes - priceless!

may be we should start a crowdfunding to make it happen

20. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    For South East Asian countries medal tally currently led by Thailand with 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze (12th place), followed by Vietnam (17th tied) who just got their first gold ever, and Indonesia with 2 silvers (31st tied).

With Malaysia, Philippines and Singapore still looking for their first gold ever in the Olympics.