2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-8 (18th August) - WD Gold Medal, WD &MD Bronze Medal, WS Semifinals

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 17, 2016.

1. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Ah, is that what they thought? Has anybody replayed it to see? At the time I thought she got nowhere near it, but I'm at work and can't check.

2. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

No one saw the double-hit but Matsutomo (she was arguably closer to the shuttle than Rytter herself)-- neither Takahashi nor the Japanese coaches backed her up-- in fact, Matsutomo wasn't sure himself and merely put it across as a question/request to the Umpire... or maybe she was so sure of herself that she didn't mind playing on?

Broadcast video review is not allowed because broadcasters are not in fact independently assessed "3rd parties" to the event, but the Japanese might have put in an objection to the tournament referee and asked the service judge to give witness if they were sure what happened.

Similarly, the Danish didn't back up their girls when they complained the Japanese coaches called the shot before the shuttle landed and the line judges made their decision-- nobody knew/heard what happened but the Japanese and line judges themselves....

3. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Now I'm confused. Is anybody actually certain about what happened?

4. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

And smash them to end LXR's misery-- all fans treat their favorite players as special snow-flakes... but Tee Jing Yi deserved just as much (or even more) respect in that she actually played on WITHOUT asking some MAS physio to attend to her.

There was actually nothing the CHN chiropractor could/should have done-- "setting the bone" the way she did is NO WAY to treat a torn ACL (confirmed by CCTV newflash towards the end of live transmission)-- but no one could have known it was an ACL injury without the MRI, so I guess it's yet another case of athletes having too little care/knowledge of their own physical conditions and pushing themselves too far...

5. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

#1005 Forestal, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  6. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

7. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

so, what do you call when someone double hitted the shuttlecock and continue playing, or after the shuttlecock rebounded off the floor?

badminton is known as the gentlemen's game (ok, not quite politically corrected) for a good reason!

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    What the CHN chiropractor or "bone setter" did was very risky. She used only a few seconds to check LXR's knee and immediately tried to set the knee. Must be some highly skilled kung fu exponent.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If my memory serves me right, Wang Xin and Wang Lin were treated in Germany, underwent surgery. Wang Xin took about a year to make a comeback but she was never the same again and retired soon afterwards. Wang Lin actually suffered three ACL incidents, poor thing, the first two occasions she was treated but on the third, she just let it be and quit for good, too much to bear.

I really hoped LXR's case isn't too serious but realistically, I'd expect her to come back to top level competitive badminton after only 6 - 9 months and only then begin to show some decent results. The last time , at the 2014 French Open in the final with WSX, she sustained a surface fracture on her leg which she opted for a slow and long recovery process rather than surgery, and it took her a year to regain her form.

Personally, though I'm disappointed with her lack of mental toughness, I wish to see her come back stronger than ever because she is such a talent, a complete all-rounder, still the best in my opinion. And, yes, I'm still hopeful she'll one day overcome the demon in her and get the big titles she deserves. Wish her a speedy recovery and time for some self-reflection during her rehabilitation period. Li Xuerui will be back !

vixter and Cheung like this.
  10. vixter

vixter Regular Member

It´s really for the umpire to decide whether it was a double hit or whether the shutte touched the floor. That´s his job. The players are busy enough with playing world class badminton and trying to win Olympic gold. As they should, they leave umpiring decisions to the umpire. How often do you see players give charity points to each other, even in a small tournament? If it happened on the Japanese side they would have done exactly the same as the danes (take the point and say nothing).

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It wasn't Li Xuerui who requested for the CHN physiotherapist (most likely) or chiropractor (unlikely) to come over, rather the latter did it out of genuine concern for her injury and safety as a medical practitioner because LXR appeared to want to carry on, unwisely.

Remember what happened in LCW's case at the 2013 WC? A leg cramp and the entire incident played out like a couple of times and for quite a long while. True, the MAS medic didn't attend to him as the tournament doctor and another personnel were already doing what was required, spraying lots of muscle relaxant and some massaging. I believe the CHN medic's intention was not so much to get LXR back on her feet to carry on the match, also at that instant there's no way for her to assess correctly the extent of her injury. In such an exigency or emergency situation, it's human nature to forget what the tournament rules allow or forbid, understandably.

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Silly me, if I double hitted or the shuttle drop onto the floor I would stop play and the point naturally go to my opponent. I'm sure 99.99999% of players, professional or not, would and should do the same. There is no charity about that.

Just because you think your opponents would have done the same doesn't make it right for you to do it.

kwun and Mike Leong like this.
  13. renbo

renbo Regular Member

If the situation was urgent for LXR, so that she had to be seen by her own medic, then she should forfeit the match. The rule does not say she cannot see her own doctor, it says that if she does, she loses the match.
    This rule is fair. Otherwise all sorts of excesses and tricks are to be feared.

14. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Didn´t you see the protests from the umpire when the chiropractor wanted to assess Li? He was right there, stating it was not allowed, and making her just have a quick check and then leave again. I´m afraid you are the clueless one if you believe that they finished the match in theater-style to please the audience. Nobody was thinking about the audience. There was no forfeit. If Marin would have choked that second set away and if the injury was less serious, that match would have continued. Marin needed to show no mercy and finish it right there, as she did.

15. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

in table tennis it's very hard for the umpire to distinguish if the ball hit the top (point won) or side edge (point lost) of the table and it's always the players to inform the umpire where it hits.

so why can the Danish player let the umpire knows when he missed the double hits or floored shuttlecock?

16. vixter

vixter Regular Member

If you and I would do it, yes then we are honest, but we play at a different stage, don´t we? And we play without umpires, right? Feel free to believe the pro players would show this kind of courtesy to eachother, but they don´t. I dare you to find an example of it, as it´s very rare. ;)

17. vixter

vixter Regular Member

And what happens when the players disagree? One player says the ball hit the top, and the other says the ball hit the side?

18. Scrubs1

Scrubs1 Regular Member

Well Hong Wei quickly admitted that he double hit the shuttlecock, on the MD Bronze Match before, what's the excuse now.
    Plus on the XD group match, Fischer already stopped playing cause he realized the shuttle already hit the floor before Pederssen hit it back, but since Pedersen "didn't realize" it, and play along, and the umpire didn't say anything, he also played along. LOL.
    Shame.

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

edited : well, at least we agreed that PEDERSEN is dishonest!

#1019 AlanY, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  20. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

exactly, they never argue. it's called sportmanship.