Shin Baek Cheol

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by Sealman, Nov 30, 2010.

1. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
  2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Yes he is. He probably needs some time to think things through. Narrowly missing out on both disciplines for the Olympics is not a small blow to anyone mentally. As for the partnership with KSH we'll have to see what happens after Rio. AFAIK they're still partners on the domestic circuit so I doubt there's any misgivings between either man at all.

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I think Korea put too much workload on Ko sung Hyun and Shin baek Cheol. I think it's better if they concentrate more on one discipline. either MD or XD.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I think they prefer Kim/Kim for the stupid reason that they both blow in XD and only manage to perform in MD, even though Ko/Shin actually win more titles iirc.
    Have Kim/Kim won anything, btw? They also look WAY less in shape than Ko/Shin.

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    didn't Kim/Kim win a SS last year? was it the China open or something?

But i agree Ko/Shin have a higher ceiling and a better body shape.
    Kim/Kim looks like a NEET eating burgers, so fat.

6. event

event Regular Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this article is simply paraphrased from the Badzine article the same day. How else to explain two articles with the exact same facts on one-month-old news? The badmintonplanet article implies that Shin found out about his exclusion from the team while in Indonesia; however, it is likely that he knew full well he'd be off the team at the point when he decided not to participate in the tryouts.

As for Kim/Kim, they won the China Open and the Malaysia Open and beat Ko/Shin in the final of the Korea GPG. They've also had more success against the top Chinese pairs in particular. All in all, the Korean coaches only had two reasons for going against the ranking and those would be the Indonesian Open 2015 and the 2014 Worlds.

blabl, j4ckie, visor and 1 other person like this.
  7. skeksis

skeksis Regular Member

In my opinion Ko & Shin on a good day are far above Kim/Kim. Kim / Kim seem to be more stable. But I doubt that they are capable of being a medal contender. On the other hand, if Ko/Shin having a peak they are nearliy unstoppable and strong contenders, even for gold. And that is what counts.

8. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

I think Kim/Kim are medal contenders, but probably not gold.
    And that's why it's hard to understand why they're not sending the world champions.
    I imagine if Ko makes an early exit in XD, they're going to seriously regret this.

9. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Actually I have been thinking a lot whether to write this down or not. First of all I know a lot of people has been very concern about Shin Baek Cheol future as he is no longer in the national team anymore. Just to let everyone know that Shin Baek Cheol is fine.

10. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Wow you know him personally? That's awesome! Do let him know we really care about him and I want to tell him he's gold medal material for both MD AND XD!!! GO FOR IT SBC! Himnae!

*cough* sorry, having a bad flu while typing this...still, please pass on the message. THANKS!

blabl likes this.
  11. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Yes I will definitely pass your message and let Shin Baek Cheol knows about it. You are right he is definitely still a worthy player for MD and XD.

It is indeed an unfortunate news that Shin Baek Cheol cannot qualify to play in the Olympics for MD and XD. But Shin Baek Cheol is a very strong and positive player and he is extremely okay with it.

12. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

It's been over a year since ko/shin has been in form, and that was their only significant title i know of since the WC 2014. Kim/Kim has on the other hand has won 2 super series titles this year and have consistently beaten top pairs. It's a huge risk to send a pair that has been om decline for over a year than the pair who keps getting better and better. I agree that ko/shin can produce a higher level, but it's not to the extent that it would weigh out kim/kim. If they are extremely lucky, ko/shin could be medal contenders, but a rather early knock-out is kind of probable. There's also the factor that Ko plays mixed.

It's really a bummer for shin, but not unfair.

blabl likes this.
  13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Lee YD, Yoo YS and Kim SR all packing in? Shin should make sure he's got his phone on him;).

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, right? Ko and Shin will be the primary representative for KOR MD.

15. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

Ko and Kim Gi Jung are paired for Japan open which on paper doesn't sound like a very good combo. I'd like to see how ko/shin or even Kim/shin would do now that they arent in the shadow of their compatriots

16. visor

visor Regular Member

KGJ is probably the least dependable player on KOR team. He can be good but when the pressure builds, he's the one to crumble first and fast. As in the OG MD QF against Fu/Zhang, where they lost such a good lead in the decider due to his errors.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Ko/Kim makes a lot more sense than Kim/Shin; the latter are both front-court players.

I look forward to seeing how Ko/Kim match up, actually - I mentioned that pairing as soon as I heard Shin was out.

18. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

You consider Kim to be a front court player? When he played with KSR it was very obvious to me that he would always opt for the back court. He is alright at the front court, but he much prefers to be firing smashes than playing delicate pushes to the net. He's the type of player to opt for the back court when he blocks the shuttle, kind of like mogensen, ahsan, fu haifeng etc

19. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Maybe it's better to say that I consider Kim SR the rear-court player - he provides the fireworks, GJ tidies up. A lot like Koo and Tan used to be, IMO.

But the imbalance isn't as pronounced as Ko/Shin.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Huh? What games were you watching? KSR is always the better at front interception (and back). When KGJ is at front, he totally fluffs things up.