2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-10 (20th August) - MS Bronze and Gold Medal Match

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Momota do not even fit anywhere. Momota is good player. But he did not have any kind of victory over top 3. Not even once he won over any one of them. That is the fact.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, that's correct. You could say he was lucky winning those Superseries without having to face Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei or Chen Long.

3. super-g

super-g Regular Member

dd
    Negative comments on YouTube prove she is unpopular? Is there any person on earth who does not get negative comments on social media? I would call your evidence extremely weak.

I have nothing against Indian badminton players or fans, I just feel this forum is populated by sore losers who try to pick on Carolina just because she again beat Indian player. Marin is not treated equally to other players. Some examples:
    - Also other players did scream in olympics after getting point from opponent unforced error, only Marin is blamed for this
    - Claiming she is unpopular without any proper evidence, the same can be said of any player (there is evidence Marin is popular)
    - Saying she did trash talk after final when Marin was stating the obvious (though all WS players sometimes refuse to change shuttle, only possible reason can be to gain psychological advantage)

4. super-g

super-g Regular Member

I don't think Momota even played top 3 during last 12 months or so. And he did beat Danish players easily all the time, probably would have beaten Axelsen once again in olympics.

5. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    the umpire would have allowed her to change the shuttle if it were damaged but strangely she was never allowed because the shuttle was ok to play with. I am in no mood of a getting in an argument, stupid argument rather, with you so get the heck out of my posts. .how I wish there is an option to block unwanted people from quoting your posts in here.

6. MeisterTim

MeisterTim Regular Member

Marin did really slow down on the screams. I found her really annoying 2 years ago, but now, she's screaming every 3-4 points which is perfectly fine for me.

visor likes this.
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    How sweet! WSX cries in embrace with Chen Long after he wins.

13962550_1275656309141364_9170095762928100868_n.jpg

tbgoh288, kelana, Justin L and 6 others like this.
  8. crashdemon

crashdemon Regular Member

VA did the right thing yesterday, saving energy for LD. :)

9. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I think Chen Long's anticipation is as good as any. It just seems that he doesn't always use it fully to his advantage (because he's such a defensive player by nature). But looking at his movement and in particular his defense, the anticipation is there.

As for shot variation I completely agree with you. In the majority of his matches, he doesn't need it, he can control the game and run people down, opponents get frustrated and begin to change their play in despair. But if he force himself to improve and reinvent himself as a more complete player attacking more and play a more varied game, he would be incredible.

kwun likes this.
  10. Swedebadminton

Swedebadminton Regular Member

so sad that lee lost..
    One of the first badminton matches i saw was the 2008 oly final cheering for lee chong wei, i hoped so much for a gold in 2012 and now this final.
    I wonder if lee chong wei will go for Tokyo 2020. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he did, he wants the gold so much. But sadly i think its unlikely he'll be able to compete for gold in four years, but who knows.
    But he will atleast go on till 2017 wc, right?

11. iqbaljuve

iqbaljuve Regular Member

student

Chong Wei says sorry after heartbreaking final loss

RIO DE JANEIRO: World No. 1 men’s singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei was apologetic after his Rio Olympic final loss to China’s Chen Long, saying he regretted that he failed to deliver gold to the 30 million Malaysians.

“I’m really sorry to disappoint them. I tried my best, but I’ve got to accept that Chen Long played better than me.

“He was well prepared and managed to retrieve all my shots.

“I played better today than I did in the 2012 (London) Olympics and all the World Championships. It was just not my day, but I never once gave up.

“My regret is that I could only win a silver again for the third time,” he said after his 21-18, 21-18 loss to world No. 2 Chen Long.

Asked if he would play in his fifth Olympics in Tokyo in 2020, Chong Wei said: “I don’t think so. I’ll continue until next year’s World Championships and see how my condition is.

“I’ll probably stop playing to give the younger guys a chance to play in the 2020 Olympics.”

On his immediate plans, Chong Wei said he can’t wait to go back home after spending three weeks in Rio.

“Now, I just want to go back to see my kids. I miss my kids, my family,” he said.

Source :http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...ays-sorry-after-heartbreaking-final-rio-loss/

kelana and visor like this.
  12. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

When he's on his death bed, that's perhaps what will matter the most. Hard to see that now, but eventually everything becomes history and will be forgotten or only remembered based on a "piece of paper".

Swedebadminton likes this.
  13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Nice pics!!! Now better be a good couple and don't get divorced like ZN and ZYL ......

kwun likes this.
  14. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Luck had nothing to do with it, when the opponents played better (XD), made less mistakes (MS) or were more composed (MD). Credit must be given to the winners as is. None of them (winners and losing finalists) got through the finals by sheer luck - they all deserved to be in the final but there can only be one Gold Medal winner ......

vinaries, lodoss, visor and 1 other person like this.
  15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Three finals, three Olympic silvers, hard to believe, perhaps it's predestined for Lee Chong Wei. But, entering Olympic Final in three consecutive Olympic Games is extraordinary achievement, not many who can do it. An anticlimax for Lee after he finally defeated Lin Dan in semifinal, but his younger opponent Chen performed better than him yesterday despite trailed behind several times, he could cope huge pressure to finish the match.

Chen Long, he ended title drought, poor performance in last 10 months has been redeemed with top notch action and claimed the most wanted crown for every professional athlete, Olympic Gold Medal. He proves that he's reliable in individual big tournament, and out of Lin Dan's shadow. Chen has completed the prestigious title collection, All England (2013, 2015), World Championships (2014, 2015), 2016 Rio Olympic Champion, congrats :)

Viktor Axelsen denied two-time Olympic Champion to stand at podium, 32 years old Lin looked so tired at deciding game against his 22 years old rival, his semifinal duel against Lee drained a lot energy. A sad ending for Lin Dan in this Olympic, maybe it's time for him to concede retirement.

kelana, kwun and volcom like this.
  16. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    #876 samkool, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  17. nizze

nizze Regular Member

I am not a fatalist but i can't help but feel the same too. Perhaps it is not fated for datuk. 3 consecutive Olympic finals, 3 silvers. What more can anyone say.

Everyone knows he tried his very best but yet the same outcome. Thought the chinese saying is quite apt

" 命中有时终须有,命里无时莫强求"

LCW can give himself a pat on his arm. Regardless of an Olympics/WC gold medal, he has booked his place as one of badminton MS greats.

#877 nizze, Aug 20, 2016
  18. visor

visor Regular Member

As fated 4 yrs ago was the same photo in London...

Edit: here, from 2012, some tears trickling down his left cheek.
    [​IMG]

I don't remember how he was on the podium in Beijing 2008, but I think he was in too much of a shock.

#878 visor, Aug 20, 2016
  19. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Haiz.. dunno what to say..

20. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

http://www.badmintoncn.com/view-18588-1.html

Li Yongbo comment that LCW would have won the WC title if he is under him.
    李永波说,“当然,他如果是我的队员,可能早就是世界冠军了。”

He said the biggest reason why CL won was the semi match between LD n LCW had spent alot of their energy and stamina. This is the strength of a team. every nation has only 1 top player, but china has 2 to attack LCW. even though LD didn't win, he had wasted alot of LCW's stamina.
    “尽管输了我也会向林丹致敬。今天的比赛谌龙能赢,很大原因在于昨天三局对抗消耗体力。这就是集体的力量——任何一个国家都是一个人,但中国有两名优秀运动员去阻击李宗伟。林丹虽然没有赢下,也把他消耗得差不多了。”