Confirmation of Spanish interview

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by Cheung, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  2. renbo

renbo Regular Member

3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

That's Disgraceful....Li couldn't even walk....I saw that clearly.

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Don't be too hasty, I don't think she said that

5. MeisterTim

MeisterTim Regular Member

You guys clearly don't understand spanish. What she's saying is that faking injury is common within chinese athlete (and faking bad form too, just check chen long prior to olympics :p). So that's why she was playing as if LX had nothing. I mean, she's not wrong...

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... this is the ultimate OG, what reason is there to fake anything?

#6 visor, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  7. phili

phili Regular Member

I highly doubt that this is Carolina's point. :D

8. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Cheung likes this.
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Precisely, and he sure knows how to blow smoke using the term faking ambiguously and mixing different matters up to confuse others.

I mean, at most you can say Chen Long prior to the OG 'faking' (holding back) his form (not injury) and he lost not won. LXR at the Olympics, the day of reckoning, the most important tournament of her life, faking injury to lose, not to win? She must be nuts.

#9 Justin L, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  10. MeisterTim

Do you really think in the heat of the match ,she's starting to think rationally "is she faking or not?"? I mean if LX is injured, she should have stopped the match (and yes she was clearly injured, and I still don't understand why she continued playing but w/e). I completely agree that Marin behavior often crosses the line but not in this match.

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

That is why I was surprised that Marin used the present tense in the interview, and not the past tense, as if, after the match, she was still thinking it was LXR faking.

12. MeisterTim

I really think the present is used as a general statement, just like you would say "Chinese are faking" if you see what I mean. Even if she's not fairplay, she's not stupid and clearly saw LX did not move the last 3 points.

13. renbo

renbo Regular Member

If it was just that at the moment LXR fell and asked for doctor that CM thought she was faking to get resting time, it is not too bad, because players are frequently using strategies to get resting time (though not as serious as this strategy).
    But if after the match CM was still thinking it was all fake, then it shows serious unsportmanship.

14. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Finally someone is getting a grasp of this... Justin, you keep saying "why fake to loose" - no one says that. That's not the point. Not from Marin, not from the people here debating you.

Point is, during the match, Marin don't know if LXR is exaggerating her injury (faking it), to get a break, some interruption, take the tempo down, etc. You see this in all sports - players hurt themselves (they really do), then they exaggerate the injury to get some advantage before they go back and all of a sudden play full strength.

Now DURING the match, Carolina says, she had decided to play as if nothing had happened to LXR, because she never would know (at that point in time), if the injury was real or vastly exaggerated (perhaps even faking it). I think you should not read it as completely faking it (as in having no injury or not hurting the least), and read it more as exaggerate it to gain an advantage (eg. actually having hurt herself, then faking the extend of the injury for a short time).

And MeisterTim / Renbo have a valid point, that faking such injury during play, is seen more often than not, and is used not to loose on purpose but to win (by gaining an advantage through the interruption/break caused by it, and perhaps even gaining an advantage from the opponent thinking that she's winning / relaxing a bit for a couple of rallies.

You can be absolutely sure, that Marin knows by the end of the match, that the injury was real. You have to take into account, the context of the question/statement. The reporter had just asked prior to Marin's statement, when Marin knew that victory was certain? - fishing for a comment about the injury. And Marin refuses to say "as soon as I saw her getting injured", because - from experience at that point in time, she knew that it might not be as bad, and if the opponent plays on, you better play on too and give your very best. That's her point. She did not feel sure of winning at the time.

It's Spanish - they talk like **** (I've studied Spanish for 3 years BTW, but that's a long time ago, and by now, I'm more or less unable to understand normal Spanish people talk in normal speed. I surely would not claim to understand this interview).

Seen in that context - I don't think we should spend a gazillion bytes of the interwebs to put her down. At least, I hope that I understood the intention of the statement, and the context of it.

-----

Then you can always debate, if it's correct that some Chinese players are actually known for using certain "tricks" to interrupt the game, such as faking injury. I saw a match, where a player had the tiniest of patches on his finger, and had to go and "fix it" all the time. He even had to get the doctor on court to make sure it was in place. It was clearly just interruptions whenever he needed the break, it was never when he scored points himself. That's also faking an injury.

In other sports, particularly football and handball, the players get hurt so bad all the time, yet there's a 95% chance they'll play on full speed, as soon as the refs whistle blows. Magic medical whistle that is :) Cristiano Ronaldo for one has been healed by it often.

renbo likes this.
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... don't mention football... one of the worst sports for faking injuries...
    (and I mean some players of course, not all)

Totally hilarious watching some of the replays showing no contact even made...

16. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Yeah, but the real faking of injuries here, is when the player stays down, to get his physician and coach to enter the field. Giving time for the team to drink, and the coach to talk to key players, adjust strategy, interrupt opponents team if they are running good, etc. That's faking injury to get an advantage.

Of course, the most obvious is faking a penalty or free kick, but that's not really faking injury. Sometimes they fake injury in an otherwise valid free kick situation, to get the ref to give the opponent a yellow card. The free kick is there, not faked, but player stays down, rolling in the grass, until the ref has decided if it's a yellow card or not.

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Just to highlight a point.
    No contact doesn't mean no injuries. You may get injured (and land awkwardly) while trying to evade the tackle.

18. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    Haters gonna hate.

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I had my wife listen to the interview - she's Mexican and hence spanish native speaker (hurray to international marriages!). And even if we both are far from being fans of Carolina (or better: her attitude and behaviour on court), apparently there is a certain detail that she mentions that sheds a different light on the whole LXR-injury incident. Apparently she mentions a previous match against LXR (during a previous WC? Any idea which match she could be referring to?) in which Carolina was close to winning and got completely knocked out of her flow due to LXR also getting injured. Carolina lost that match in the end and came to the conclusion that LXR had faked/exaggerated her injury back then. And when the same thing happened this time against the same opponent in the deciding phase of a close match, of course she remeberred that old incident and made sure not to fall in the same trap again and hence kept pushing with full power until the end. There is no word in the interview from her that indicates that she still thought the injury was faked still after the match.

I was quite shocked (disgusted?) watching her screaming and celebrating in her typical way each point against a very obviously heavily injured LXR. But with having this additional information in mind, I tend to understand why she did it that way. It was her way of showing clearly something like "You fooled me once, but not this time again!".

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Look at their H2H and tell me which match she's referring to. The previous encounter was at the MAS Open PSS when LXR wasn't fully match fit coming back from her leg injury at the French Open 2014 with WSX. I remember in the 3rd set LXR who was leading until 14-9 suddenly became tentative, sluggish and crumbled to lose 17-21 and the match.

s_mair, "There is no word in the interview from her that indicates that she still thought the injury was faked still after the match." ? I beg your pardon ? What did Marin say about LXR faking the injury as a strategy ? You didn't read the translation provided by renbo's wife ?

I repeat, no normal person after seeing a player presumably injured, beat her when the match resumed by taking the last few points easily where the opponent simply let the shuttle dropped without making any attempt to retrieve it, would at that time still think LXR was faking it and then later at the interview still said the same. Common sense dictates otherwise. Would you do what she did if you were her ?

FeatherBlaster, no amount of explanation based on your assumptions or twisting and turning from you can justify Marin's insensitive and unjustified blurt not in keeping with the Olympic spirit. It clearly reflected badly on her to think ill of others without giving them the benefit of the doubt and to even say it out bluntly. Almost like rubbing salt on somebody's wound or hitting a person who's already down.

There's the umpire, tournament referee,line judges, spectators and the whole incident is watched and televised live to millions all over the world, surely the players know better what they are doing.

Your soccer analogy is inappropriate, involving tackling with body contact, and,esp, as you pointed out, players who seemed injured at first could after a while get up and play like nothing has happened. LXR not only didn't get up and play like she's fine (or went on to win?), she gave Marin the satisfaction of closing out the match instead of leaving the score hanging; how sporting of LXR.

Frankly, after reading you post,I didn't feel like responding, no necessity as most people viewing the entire incident from beginning to end dispassionately would come to the proper conclusion. Clearly, Marin got away with much more than what Hope Solo, the US football goalkeeper did with her rant calling Sweden " a bunch of cowards" after losing the penalty shootout to them for which she was slapped with a six-month ban by the US soccer federation. Enough said.