Li Xuerui ( 李雪芮 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by cobalt, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    CHN WS players get this typeof injury too much, there must be some faults in the training?

pcll99 likes this.
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

@kwun @pcll99

Just watched the incident at around 17-16 2nd game. Her left knee buckled a bit under her as she landed on a lateral jump out. Doesn't look as bad as some other more disastrous ones like Wang Xin and another MAS?female singles shuttler in HK open a few yrs back where the knee went completely sideways.

That's why she was able to continue playing to the end, otherwise if it was completely torn she would not even be able to walk at all. She would still need MRI +/- scoping, and lots of rehab. She should be able to do well... just look at Okuhara.

pcll99 and kwun like this.
  3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

She is still young. The younger generation is not much of a threat either, so she can go on if she is willing to.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's great news. yes.

compared to others, she was at least able to move around and play some sort of rally, and probably still win the match if i were standing on the other side of the net!

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hope so. Let's await the medical diagnosis. She's still young and so talented, it'll be such a shame if she doesn't come back stronger. Wish her speedy recovery.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Talking about meditation, both Intanon Ratchanok and Sho Sasaki are into it.

If I'm not wrong, Intanon is doing the Thai (Theravada,prevalent in Thailand) Buddhist tradition of meditation,as a form of mind-training and mental cultivation. That's very good, highly beneficial.

Sho Sasaki, as I recall, often goes into a Zen Buddhist retreat before he plays any tournament. I believe it contributed in no small part to his success as a late bloomer.

I urge Li Xuerui to do likewise.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I only watched a bit of the match but before the injury Li Xuerui looked tired and lethargic in the game.

I wondered at the time if she was a bit ill. If she was tired, that certainly would have created the conditions for landing improperly and injury. You can still play with a torn ACL if the muscles around the knee are built up strongly enough. She would be a good candidate for that.

As for that comment about which players get ACL injuries more often, I think it's those who can hyperextend the knee are more prone. It seems to me many Sino Asian females can hyperextend so this group might be prone to more ACL injuries. However, it's impossible to make such an inference from the pro players because the numbers of players are just too small for meaningful analysis. For instance, there are more female players of Asian oriental ethnic origin so as a group, we would expect to see more of those players with ACL injury.

kwun likes this.
  8. teojb

teojb Regular Member

i tore my ACL completely in the same manner and was still able to walk. It did swell up pretty badly when I got home.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

She is in Germany planning to have a reconstruction.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Better to go for surgery to have a full recovery if she is to resume top level badminton.

Li Xuerui still has it in her, she can do it. JIAYOU!

11. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Interesting if she gets the same ligamys surgery-method as me, which isn't available in Asia yet.
    It would make sense if her ACL is teared to get the latest (and best?) surgery-method you can have.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Just remind me which technique you had?

Newest doesn't equate with best. A new technique may not be proven. It would take at best 5 to 10 years for a new surgical technique to be accepted. It takes a lot of time to have enough studies with a high enough number of patients to be definite.

I think they wouldn't take any chances and did a double bundle ACL reconstruction.

13. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

The Ligamys technique, see: www.ligamys.com (webpage is also in English available); Not sure how they differentiate Ligamys and dynamic intraligamentary stabilization, but it's the same. Probably the ligamys is the name of the implatant while dynamic intraligamenetary stabilization is a more generous definition of the technique.

"In general, autologous grafts from the patellar tendon or the posterior thigh muscles, the hamstring tendon, are used as a replacement for the torn ACL. In some cases, also allografts are used for ligament reconstruction."
    With the ligamys-method, this NOT the case. You just implant the ligamys-thing and let the ACL recover! And that's a BIG difference to any other traditional ACL reconstruction techniques. You will still have the original ACL as before.
    I don't know for how long it is introduced now. Over 5 years for sure, but maybe not 10 years now. 1 year after my surgery they couldn't notice any permanent damage with my ACL (meniscus neither) anymore by having a look at MRI-picture. I also still have the implantant around the knee, which I'll let them take out in the next few months.
    I think it's a good thing. I had the surgery at the hospital where it was invented.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not only must Li Xuerui recover fully from her torn ACL surgery, she must also overcome her Achilles' heel.

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Nozomi's injury wasn't ACL, was it?

was it Meniscus?

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Li Xuerui in Germany, Augsburg, receiving treatment.

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Augsburg? Seriously? That's just about an hour by car away from here. I didn't know that they have a special reputation for knee surgery there. But anyway, a beautiful and calm German town with lots and lots of good beer.

Definitely a good place to recover - both physically and mentally.

pcll99 likes this.
  19. visor

visor Regular Member

Cool, so now we can assign a BC insider to go there to update us on her surgery and recovery...

20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And you know what? I even know a nurse working at the main clinic there (although we don't know at which specific clinic she's treated, right?). What a bad timing that she is currently on maternity leave.
    But who knows - maybe she knows someone who knows someone who doesn't take the medical confidentiality to seriously. I somehow doubt it though...

Jokes aside. I hope that Bavarian beer and doctors will help her to get back on court quickly and in best shape. And what a small world we live in.

visor likes this.