Sonia Cheah

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by pajrul, Apr 17, 2013.

1. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

SPM is just a starting point for students venturing into University. It is just an indication on how well you performed in academic at that particular point in your life. It's not something that seal your destiny on whether you will be a successful person in your future career.

If someone always persevere no matter the obstacle, he/she will succeed (this include being a successful badminton player). If one gets complacent or just couldn't be bothered anymore, he/she is bound to failure. It's the attitude that determines one's success in the long run, not anything else like talent or luck factor.

I know I am still not answering your question but a mere certificate can't tell you how good a person is. But her attitude and commitment level might tell you whether she will be good in the future.

#61 lcleing, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

I agree with what you said. A law degree might (just maybe) sharpen her thinking and provide another perspective/dimension to her game as she's exposed to other field compared to the other badminton players. That's provided that she trains as hard as other full time players if not harder.

I admit that my view point maybe biased as I have seen many top junior players(who incidentally are also intelligent students) who eventually got complacent and slacked in their training. This is because they know that is easier to make a living (at least in Malaysia) with a degree than with a sport career. And slowly they left the court even though they have the age advantage, the facility and everything they need to be a top badminton player. To me this is really a waste of investment (for the country and sport association) and if that particular someone is not interested enough to start with, why not give the other individuals who are willing to put in the hard work a chance? Even though they might still be the best at that time, but they won't be able to go far if they doesn't love/enjoy what they do. I will stress again that it is the attitude that will be the deciding factor for a badminton player's career.:)

P/S: If you asked my honest opinion, I don't think BAM needs another lawyer....Just look at BAM's administration members and you just might find one fellow(already a qualified lawyer;)) who is already sitting there managing the association.

#62 lcleing, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Icleing - don't say it's lack of interest all the time. People drift into alternate careers all the time. Even investment bankers changing career in their mid 40's. Perhaps it's more constructive to look at any novel incentives that might keep people in the sport.

4. jasontyh

jasontyh Regular Member

Engineer
    I play 4 times a week. all 4 diff groups. Monday - not many wants to play with or alongside me.
    Wednesday - mostly wants to play with me
    Thursday - more than mostly wants to play with me
    Saturday - some wants to play with me

I don't know what level I am. but I know I am dead serious in every game. trying to improve. sometimes the body and mind is just too stubborn. coz I'm old already

Enjoy

5. nkt0811

nkt0811 Regular Member

Costing Executive
    latest news:

Sonia Cheah is out of the World Champrionship GuangZhou as she had suffer heavy injury and thus makes her to take 6 months healing... so sad...

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Published: Wednesday July 17, 2013 MYT 9:48:00 PM
    Updated: Wednesday July 17, 2013 MYT 9:53:48 PM
    [h=2]Top singles shuttler undergoes op and will be out for six months[/h] By KNG ZHENG GUAN

[​IMG]A big stunner: Sonia Cheah will be out for at least six months due to a torn Achilles tendon.

PETALING JAYA: Top women’s singles shuttler Sonia Cheah has undergone surgery for a torn Achilles tendon and will be out for at least six months.

The 19-year-old, who suffered the injury during training on Tuesday, sought treatment at the National Sports Institute (NSI) on Tuesday night before undergoing surgery yesterday morning.

It’s a sad end to the world No. 35, who has put in some strong performances this year and was expected to lead the women’s singles charge in the World Championships in Guangzhou, China, from Aug 5-11.

National women’s singles coach Wong Tat Meng was stunned by the severity of Sonia’s injury.

“The NSI confirmed that she tore her Achilles tendon and decided that she needed an operation,” said Tat Meng.

“That’ll put her out for at least three months before she’ll be able to do light training. My best guess is that she’ll only make a proper comeback next January ... probably for the Malaysian Open.

“It’s really quite unfortunate because she has really upped her level in training these past few weeks. Since Juliane Schenk (German world No. 4) joined us as sparring partner, Sonia has also shown remarkable improvement and was ready for the world meet.

“But accidents like these happen ... there’s nothing we can do about it. It’s important that she remain mentally strong and stay focused on recovering.”

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2013/07/17/Sonia-serves-stunner.aspx

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Very unfortunate. :( I hope she heals fully and comes back stronger in time...

8. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

oh no. .. i remember another promising female Malaysian player on the way up.. until she was struck with injury .. never recovered ... and subsequently retired... i hope this is not the case here

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Was it Julia Wong?

10. visor

visor Regular Member

^ She had a nasty ACL injury during a match right? I can still see in my head the slow mo of her landing and twisting her knee. :shudder:

11. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Any news about Sonia Cheah? Will she come back?

12. vixter

vixter Regular Member

YES!! Soniia is coming back now. :)
    -----

KUALA LUMPUR: It’s time for the real test.

Having taken one step at a time to heal from her Achilles tendon surgery, former national No. 1 woman shuttler Sonia Cheah is ready for her first international tournament in 19 months – the Iran International Chal*lenge from Feb 12-15.

She had undergone four operations at the Kuala Lumpur Sports Medical Centre (KLSMC) in Damansara Heights following a ruptured Achilles tendon in August 2013 due to injuries and infections. But the long layoff has done nothing to douse the fire in her belly.

“I’m glad that I’ve been given the green light to compete in an international tournament,” said the 21-year-old Sonia, who received a surprise visit from National Sports Institute (NSI) chief executive officer Datuk Dr Ramlan Aziz at Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara on Friday.

“I’m in good shape now ... I have to work harder on my fitness.

“I’m excited but anxious as well. It’s not easy to get back to the top after going through so many ups and downs in the last 19 months. I’ll be happy if I can reach at least the semis in Iran.”

Sonia was in outstanding form prior to her injury and even starred for Malaysia in the Axiata Cup in 2013. She also did quite well in several Open tournaments.

But the long break through injury has seen Sonia, who was once ranked 32nd in the world, having no position in the world rankings now.

Although she will have to start from scratch, Sonia, however, is quietly hoping to get back to her best and represent the country at the Olympic Games one day.

13. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

Dear Sonia,

Please come back. We need you.

tq

14. @@@@@

@@@@@ Regular Member

not working
    Okay I heard about this great player too. I also heard about her injuries. After her injuries when she returned to play badminton she was never the same again. Perhaps it was all because of her injuries lol.

15. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Soniia has literally just returned. She's played three tournaments in Europe and passed qualifying in all, got through to semifinals in one, only lost to seeded players. So it seems her comeback has started positive. Can't wait to see her on court!

16. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

What's her latest? She's got very good potential......

17. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

well.. she is back in action again.. looked more matured... but her movements were unsure and awkward, which is expected. i hope she regains her composure soon and see her play in more tournaments.

18. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Soniia is back (again)!!1!

She is playing the finals of the Belgian International tonight and she has been looking very good and promising on court.

19. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

Well she won it. Watched the game. Solid skills and games stability inhigh pressure situations. May need improvement in physicality and mental concentration though. It was a good win. Looking forward to her next games. A worthy replacement to tee jing yee.

20. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    i thought she was a gone case same like her sister lydia cheah, also succumbed to injuries.

i thought there are 3 sister, where is one more of them?