Yu Yang (于洋) / Tang Yuanting (唐渊渟)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by jdileo, Apr 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jdileo

jdileo Regular Member

Congratulations to Yu Yang and Tang Yuanting for winning the 2016 Malaysia Open SS Premier! They also achieved this feat while one was suffering from a back injury and the other was ill. According to Tang, they will be ranked #1 in WD when the BWF world ranking refreshes this Thursday. Bravo!

I am putting my money on this pair to win in Rio, barring any injury/illness in the next few months.

kwun likes this.
  2. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    What happened with Wang Xiaoli by the way? Is she injured?

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This question has been asked repeatedly and you won't be the last to ask it though the news been reported and the answer's been provided before - Wang Xiaoli has retired for good. I heard she's now into Sichuan spicy hotpot restaurant business with her boyfriend.

ein_roboter likes this.
  4. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    That's too sad, but I'm glad she managed to get a completely new life after badminton. The Hong Kong Open 2012 final where she played with YY against TQ&ZYL was the best WD match I've ever seen.

I wish YY and TYT the best of luck, but they aren't at the same level when YY played with WXL around 2012.

5. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

YY looks fat and out of shape.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what will happen to Yu Yang? she was completely out of shape in the Olympics and after the now towel throwing infamous tantrum, i don't see her continuing in the team for too long.

especially now the WD was a complete disaster in the Olympics, I am expecting to see a big reorg and shuffling. Yu Yang have served the team well but her time is up.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yu Yang's outburst, the result of accumulated frustration, may be understandable, Li Yongbo might forgive her but I doubt the higher-ups are taking kindly to it. What is seen live on CCTV and beamed live across the world is an embarassment, had she and tang Yuanting won the match and even went o to take gold, Yu Yang could be let off with an official reprimand.

But they lost and even failed to land a bronze, there's no redeeming grace for Yu Yang, I'd expect her to be disciplined and herself to quit for good.

Now it's also not sure if the two golds by Chen Long and Fu Haifeng/Zhang Nan can save Li Yongbo's skin, considering Chinese badminton has been hit by highly disappointing results over the last few years and culminating at the Olympics near debacle. As it is, Team CHN has been receiving brickbats once in a while such as when CHN lost two Thomas Cups, the WD was out of the Incheon Asian Games at the QFs stage, a prolonged desert of titles for WS, etc - and I believe the Rio Olympics shortfall, esp in WD and XD, is the last straw, eliciting growing severe criticisms all round.

mongoose likes this.
  8. Armor_tec_14

Armor_tec_14 Regular Member

School..Dont have one :P
    What did Yu Yang actually say during her outburst? I think its maybe different cultures but I really don't see the big deal in showing your frustration. The coaches can advise but you're the one on the court. If you feel angry and lose your cool a little bit in an Olympic bronze medal match, that's understandable to me. Also the fact that she wasn't playing great! I'm not a fan of Yu Yang's particularly. I just don't feel that she deserves punished after speaking her mind. She's a 30 year old woman, I think she is entitled to :)

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    In Chinese culture, that would be considered huge disrespect to their teacher/coach.

10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Also it adds up to other facts that show lack of harmony inside the team

11. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Reasonable question, armor_tec_14. It is definitely a culture thing. Losing your face and embarrass your team and yourself in front of the whole crowd. It's like showing weakness in front of many people.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Which match was it? The semifinal or the bronze medal match. I missed quite a lot of matches and want to see the incident.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  14. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I did translate what somebody posted in Chinese on the Net in the tournament thread. Lazy to search for it, let me recall:

Tian Bingyi said to Yu Yang:" The whole nation is watching it live, such a big match, you should move about once in a while."

At this Yu Yang snapped back:" I did move, ya ! ", and flung her towel down.

(You can see during the match, Ma Jin was standing still, almost rooted to the spot, most of the time.)

#15 Justin L, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  16. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

I guess you just twisted the players MJ and YY ^^" But thanks for translating :)

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oops, corrected. Kept thinking of Ma Jin after seeing her photos posted by Alan Y, his fault.:p:D

18. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Hahaha. That's is pretty forgivable :D

19. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    tang yuanting retire from CBA... i cant belive this, she is so young and talented

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member