Too Old to Be a Pro?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by May Lee, Sep 11, 2016.

1. May Lee

May Lee New Member

Hi, I am a 15-year old girl from Malaysia that wants to become a professional badminton player. I know that I'm too late as most would say. But I really do want this for many reasons.

I always had an interest in badminton since I was 10. I played a few times with my friends but we had no proper training nor a proper place to play. Furthermore, I was easily tired out as I was overweight.

Then, for the past 4 years, my parents wanted me to focus on studying, so I did. Then, I joined other competitions such as netball and handball. When I was 11-12 years old, I took Shorinji Kempo classes until the third level. I stopped because of a national examination.

I joined the shot put and discus throw events in my school's annual sports day from 13-15 years old. But I wasn't interested in either. It was more like, I was forced to participate. But I enjoyed jogging and participated in marathons.

I was never serious about sports (besides Shorinji Kempo and liked jogging) but now, I am.

In mid-October this year, I plan to join a badminton club with a coach. I'm currently doing core exercises daily.

I've done my research about late badminton bloomers such as Han Jian. But I still need reassurance (or disapprovals) from other people. What say you? Thank you.

2. May Lee

May Lee New Member

Hi, I am a 15-year old girl from Malaysia that wants to become a professional badminton player. I know that I'm too late as most would say. But I really do want this for many reasons.

I always had an interest in badminton since I was 10. I played a few times with my friends but we had no proper training nor a proper place to play. Furthermore, I was easily tired out as I was overweight.

Then, for the past 4 years, my parents wanted me to focus on studying, so I did. Then, I joined other competitions such as netball and handball. When I was 11-12 years old, I took Shorinji Kempo classes until the third level. I stopped because of a national examination.

I joined the shot put and discus throw events in my school's annual sports day from 13-15 years old. But I wasn't interested in either. It was more like, I was forced to participate. But I enjoyed jogging and participated in marathons.

I was never serious about sports (besides Shorinji Kempo and liked jogging) but now, I am.

In mid-October this year, I plan to join a badminton club with a coach. I'm currently doing core exercises daily.

I've done my research about late badminton bloomers such as Han Jian. But I still need reassurance (or disapprovals) from other people. What say you? Thank you.

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Enjoy the training and get some coaching. Since you are in Malaysia, you can get more exposure to badminton. However, you also have to be able to convince people around you to let you train and play as frequently as necessary.

You can be serious about badminton and play very well. Play well first and see where that takes you.

Most really good kids at 15 years old and into badminton train/play four times a week. Some are more, some are less.

5. May Lee

May Lee New Member

Yes, I agree that enjoying the sport is the most important thing. But for me, the most difficult situation right now is that most people don't really think I can do it. Some doubt and one or two encourage me. But that's okay.

I'm planning on taking it slow by getting some coaching done too. I'm the type of person who doesn't mind consuming my time on things I love and in things that I am determined to do.

I guess my biggest obstacle and fear is people not believing in me or coaches giving up on me (that can happen, right?). I don't blame them, though. I guess it's all about mental, faith & hope. In short, I'll take yout advice and see where things go from there :)

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Coaches giving up on you. You have to show your commitment. Also, every so often, you have to ask the coach "am I doing it correctly?" " Can I do it better?" "When I try this in a game, it doesn't work...why?"

One thing quite noticeable is a gender attitude to training. Generally, girls are much more likely to sit by a court talking. Boys are a bit easier to shout at and subsequently get them performing.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

You have to be really, and I mean really good, in order to make it professionally. And even then aging and injury will mean end of career in 15 yrs or less.

Meanwhile you'll have no social life, and probably not much time for serious studies. Which would mean you'll likely not have any career to fall back on when you're done with badminton. Of course if you come from a rich family then no need to worry about how to support yourself, but if not, then reality is quite harsh...

8. May Lee

May Lee New Member

Thanks for the tips on coaches. I believe the key to anything is commitment. I think being the newbie in a team of teenage badminton players who have been practicing for over 1-5 years is also difficult to adjust to but I'm determined. I'll just have to focus on improving and learning but also try to communicate.

9. May Lee

May Lee New Member

Thanks for taking the time to give your opinion. I'll make sure to do exercises and play the correct way to reduce the chances of injuries.

I don't I'll have no social life, though. But if I do, I don't think I'll mind that much or even notice.

I come from a mediocre family. But I wouldn't be neglecting my studies. I'll probably go to a sports-based school which will allow me to balance my studies and training.

visor likes this.
  10. visor

visor Regular Member

Good for you!
    Follow your passion fervently.

There will be sacrifices to make, but you'll know you're on the right path when you wake up everyday and look forward to your work / training.

#10 visor, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    May Lee likes this.
  11. RichieJam

RichieJam New Member

Hi May,

Where you from?

12. May Lee

May Lee New Member

Hi! I'm from Sabah, Malaysia.

13. RichieJam

RichieJam New Member

o_O Too far from KL~

May Lee likes this.
  14. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Hi May Lee,

It is never too late to start. You have to work hard and show your passion is this sport. 15 years old still young, train until 22 years old and see how far you have become. If you really train hard and play hard during this 7 years(every day training except Sunday), I am sure that you going to be improve a lot and at least your skill could be par with state player in Malaysia.

May Lee likes this.
  15. May Lee

May Lee New Member

Hahaha, I know. I'm actually going to move to KL (around Cyberjaya). But I'm afraid that there wouldn't be schools/clubs that are good there.

I want to go to BJSS but the rules require the individual to have good basics and at least join a couple of competitions, right? Which I haven't.

In Sabah, there is SBA (Sabah Badminton Association), which is associated with BAM. I haven't gotten details about the training there, though.

It's really a blur for me in making a choice on where to start my training. Whether to start here in Sabah or in KL.

16. May Lee

May Lee New Member

Thanks for the encouragement. I really look forward to training and learning more about badminton than I have now. I just need to avoid my fantasies & worries first and just train then see where I can go from there, as you have said. I'll start moderately from club competitions, then district, zone, state, national and hopefully, international.

But as we both agree, train first and see where that goes :)

17. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Once you reach that level don't forget to tell me. At least i could have chance to see you playing on youtube. Hahaha

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

May Lee likes this.
  18. May Lee

May Lee New Member

Sure! Will do.

19. rocky4

rocky4 Regular Member

Student
    don't give up on your dreams! who cares what others may think. prove them wrong. if you're passionate of it give it a shot. if it doesn't work out at least you tried, no? i'm rooting for you :)

May Lee likes this.
  20. May Lee

May Lee New Member

Thank you! I want and will do my best. I'll be updating this thread whenever.

Cheung and visor like this.