Do my ideal shoes exist?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Charlie-SWUK, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    So I've done a lot of trial and error, and I'm trying to find that perfect shoe for me. I've used:

Yonex SC2
    Li Ning Metal X
    Yonex SC6EX
    Yonex SHB 02
    Li Ning Hero 2014

Unfortunately, 2 months of intensive training on my Li Ning Hero 2014 have waned on them somewhat.I've almost managed to wear through the rubber on one shoe. You can actually see little glimpses of yellow coming through.

IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1068.JPG

I'm after a 3E/4E wide fit shoe, deep, high cut, and with a large sole surface area. I would have liked to try the SC6 Wide, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm not planning on buying straight away, it's more figuring out my next move. I've browsed through the catalogues at e1981 and e78, but I haven't really been able to find anything. I'm open to suggestions from any brand.

2. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    Are you playing on rubber courts or on the tar road? 2 months ...

To be honest, if you are looking for proper wide feet (V-shaped, medium to high arch, with volume), you are limited to Li-Ning models only (this is between Yonex, Victor and Li-Ning).

I have searched high and low for something to fit my feet (UK8G equivalent / 265cm) and nothing from Yonex and Victor does it. You have to consider the width and the volume/height of your feet. This was my recent purchase (https://shopbadmintononline.com/mens-badminton-shoe-black-ayaj013-1-p-635.html) and I am very happy about it. Similar to your Metal-X but with a bit more cushioning and low cut.

As a reference point, the order of Li-Ning shoes I find that fits my wide feet best are:
    1. https://shopbadmintononline.com/mens-badminton-shoe-black-ayaj013-1-p-635.html
    2. Some mid-grade Li-Ning model similar to the Metal-X (Saga something)
    3. https://shopbadmintononline.com/mens-badminton-shoe-yellow-aytj019-7-p-636.html (didn't get it because it's of lower grade)
    4. https://shopbadmintononline.com/li-ning-mens-badminton-shoe-yellow-ayzk001-2-p-934.html (you can't remove the insole)
    5. https://shopbadmintononline.com/li-ning-mens-badminton-shoe-yellow-ayak027-3-p-923.html (starting to be tight at the top of my foot near my ankles because there is not enough room)

I find most of Yonex and Victor shoes are not wide enough and even if they are, they are too shallow.

Good luck!

3. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    It was 2 months of 5 days a week/2 hours a night... lots of footwork training and multifeed drills.

I have the same problem you do, my feet are quite wide and deep, but aren't that long (I mix up between an 8 and an 8.5), I was really hoping the SC6 Wide would've been my magic bullet. The EX were too narrow for me and messed up the arches of my feet.

How's the support and grip on those shoes?

4. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    I am 173cm and about 75kg for reference. I am 265cm so I suspect that's about US8.5/UK8.

No complaints about the support of the shoes. I previously sprained and micro-fractured my left ankle many years ago (basketball, went for a defensive rebound, left foot landed on someone's foot, GG) but I am comfortable playing in this even though its low-cut. I remove the stock insole and replaced it with Spenco Original Total Support. Mind you, I play on rubber courts.

Grip is fine, never slipped. I never see the point in comparing grip as it also depends on court conditions.

Never tried the SC6 Wide but I did try the SHB-65W and I can barely get my feet into the shoe.

5. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

6. lurker

lurker Regular Member

do u use only 1 pair of shoes throghout the 2 months? or u hv a few pairs to rotate?
    btw, you are left handed?

7. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Just the one pair, and yeah I'm playing left handed.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

What problem are you trying to resolve?

That there's premature wear and tear on the dragging foot? Or it's not wide enough? Or there's not enough medial arch support?

BTW what floor do you play on? And do you have fallen arches?

9. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Just the premature wear. The Lin Dan Hero 2014 shoe is perfect for me in other regards, but I can't spend that money on a set of shoes every couple of months.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Floor you play on may be the culprit... and perhaps lazy footwork...

Any case, someone once posted a thread on applying some paintable latex rubber on the shoe for protection of this particular area. See if I can find it...

11. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    As you know I was training on a lino floor... ;)

12. visor

visor Regular Member

13. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Maybe I'll give this stuff a try, my main concern is that I'm wearing through the rubber, I can see faint amounts of yellow through the rubber.

14. druss

druss Regular Member

Hmmm, never thought of plastidip, i use it to waterproof electronics myself. i typically use a product called shoe goo for my shoes. I hear the victor 9200 are wider and have been waiting for them to come to canada to give them a try.

15. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I mentioned later in that thread that I also use clear bandage /dressing tapes now which work just as well and is easier to apply. I find the cloth type best. You can also colour it in to match the colour of the shoes if you like.

visor likes this.
  16. maxout

maxout Regular Member

You need an Asics or Mizuno shoes ... Yonex (never tried LN) shoes are not so durable nowadays. I have switched to Asics.

17. jole73

jole73 Regular Member

Mizuno shoes might be worth considering. As we don't get Wave Fangs here in Europe, I got myself a pair of Mizuno handball shoes from a local store (I never order shoes online unless I'm buying a second pair of a model I already have). Checked their properties beforehand and didn't find much difference to those of badminton shoes.
    After almost a year of exclusive use on lino floors they're still going strong and show only minimal (barely visible) wear on the inside of my dragging foot. Grip and lateral support are both excellent. Stock insoles are rubbish, however, but a pair of Spenco's makes the shoes really comfortable.
    In my case one year of use means about 5-6 hrs/week plus the occasional league game on the weekend (only 2 hrs during school holidays, though).

visor likes this.
  18. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Hmmm ... using other type of court shoes - volleyball, handball etc .... GOOD IDEA !!! :cool: