Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Another day, another match. This one's a long one, too....I was tired, couldn't focus properly (only ~3.5hrs of sleep) and just didn't feel in the zone in this one. That being said, I'm not making excuses - I just feel I didn't play my best badminton.
    If you have any hints, observe a specific weakness or wrong movement, please comment! :)

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Oh, btw, @AimUk, I saw your last vid. Not sure there is too much to comment on, since it really seemed like all 3 other players aren't quite on your level (or had a particularly bad day). Pretty cool that no matter what you play like, your smash always seems to be there - wish it was the same for me :D

#2522 j4ckie, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

And another one. This is a rare one - footage of me playing mixed doubles! I am the regular XD player in the team, but often I feel that the matches aren't gonna be entertaining, so I don't record them as often. I'm gonna start doing it more, though, not because the entertainment value has somehow risen, but because I want to get better at it, and so I'll have to review it myself, and would be very appreciative of feedback as well.
    That being said, I don't think this particular match is a great one to spot our weaknesses :D

Oh, btw, @DuckFeet, @ucantseeme, remember our discussion about mixed doubles a while ago? This is how I play. No prisoners :D (Weren't @visor and @ormy4 also part of that short debate...?)

#2523 j4ckie, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  4. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

My advice would be to find a less attractive partner, with longer/less tight shorts. :p

That can't help with concentration.

5. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Play with the blonde who walked past just before the end!
    Looked very aggressive, err attacking well but no malice. That lass was still smiling I see :) be honest, how much effort and how hard were you trying to hit her? I go for only enough to get the point.

Nice video. Mic doesn't half make your smashes sound like misshits to me though. Nice to see a lady moving back to defend and not ducking behind the net.

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Have been playing with her for more than 3 years now. It seems to work :D

You're talking about the rally at 10:12, aren't you? :D Well, I honestly just try to end the point. Since the ladies in our class dont duck behind the net in defence (can't afford that, it'll be an almost guaranteed point) and thus stand far enough away to react, I haven't had any mishaps with hitting someone in the face yet...and if I go for a 60% smash or something, I risk losing the attack. So....I don't hold back :D

ucantseeme likes this.
  7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Was pretty sure it is Laura as I clicked "play" and indeed you still play with her since years.

You randy old devil! I tell you something pretty private: In XD I spank my partner before I serve. I tell her in this manner which service I do. She can't see me hands behind my back so we made this arrangement.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol, you must've had a direct hit on her at least 5-6 times. Next time you need more challenging opponents...

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Mate, next time look for actual opponents instead of victims! Great rally with a convincing end at 10:12! :D
    Overall, you two form a really well working XD - the lady quick and lethally going for the net kills, yourself with a good court coverage and shot variety from the back court.

I think that @ucantseeme spoilered an interesting point here (no, not the randy devil part...). How do others in here communicate with the lady which serve you are going to play? Is it common practise to give the lady a bit of a spanking? :)

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, maybe :D We actually had more challenging ones in the next XD match (well, a more challenging guy), but since he was one of my MD opponents, he was running on fumes at the time (I was pretty much done as well, but have a significant age advantage :D). He managed to annoy us with some of his crazy slice crosscourt shots, though, haven't really seen anyone play those from an underhand position before...
    Not too close a win, though. Overall a 4-0 day for me :)

I honestly considered the rally more of a cluster**** than a great rally, with both pairs missing chances to kill it, which is how it kept going rather than the entire rally being played at a high level. But it was certainly fun to watch, and actually did have some good shots in there. I liked my own one-two combo to finish it off (he said, unashamedly praising himself) - it worked well, and I actually played the exact same combination at least one other time. Main reason was that the guy was fairly predictable on his backhand defence, which was the straight shot and didn't open up the court as much as the direct crosscourt attack on the lady would've done.
    The one downside to our mixed combination is that we're both fairly risky players, and have those off games where almost nothing works well. Unlike in MD, where I would consider myself quite a stable player, I'm not the one who wants to (or can) keep a rally going forever in XD.

Regarding the service thing, we don't really give any signs. We're at a level where we're good enough to know what to anticipate once we see our partner's serve, but the level of play isn't so high that we don't have time to react. Also, basically all my MD partners have adapted to looking around me, so I dont block their view of the shuttle on my own serve (I don't know how well it comes across in the vids, but I am pretty tall for a badminton player, and not as skinny as CL in the upper body).
    If I had to give a sign to the XD lady, I'd do it by tapping her with the racket. Since you would have to agree on what signal means what, you could also make clear where exactly that tapping is okay in the same conversation ;)
    Not really a huge issue for me since I like abusing my good short serve anyway. I only vary the sideways placement a lot, which few opponents seem to really notice, most just make errors/play weak replies when trying to receive a serve to the middle of their half the same way they'd receive one to the T.

#2530 j4ckie, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Sooo I did a little montage of rallies I found enjoyable, from this season. Tried to keep to offensive rallies to go with the title, although some might be a good argument for creative defending ;)
    Hope you like it!

Creating this was a surprise - both how much time it took and how fun it was despite that. I have no experience editing videos, so that might be why I was kinda slow with it. As for the song, I know not everyone will like it, but I really do, and it's also okay to use on YT without getting the video blocked.

PS: I know some scenes have weird colors - I did my very best to color-correct. If you watched other videos, you might know my camera sometimes changes colors very dramatically, and I tried to minimize that. Sorry if it's still annoying.

#2531 j4ckie, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    racketman123 likes this.
  12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Nice video. Especially like the way you matched the smashing sounds with the rhythm of the music at the beginning. :D

j4ckie likes this.
  13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks! Got that idea when I searched for a song to use and listened to it with the vid in mind. Had one or two ideas to improve the video further (get more in synch with the song), but at that point I was already finished editing and just couldn't go back, delete hours of work and re-do it :D

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Nice.

About your camera, just set the white balance to fluorescent lighting instead of auto and it will not change frequently when someone walks by...

j4ckie likes this.
  15. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    Have not posted in a while. Here are 2 clips of me from 2 different tournaments that I recently played in. Just posting them to share, that's all.

1.) 2016 Brazil Grand Prix, round of 16 against Milin Ludik of Czech Republic. I am on the close side in the tank top and white shorts.

2.) 2016 Mexico International Series, Quarterfinals against Hock Lai Lee of USA. I am on the close side to start in tank top and yellow shorts then we switch sides.

phihag, Vinman, badmintony and 5 others like this.
  16. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

thanks for sharing
    always good to see some different angles than TV coverage

im amazed by the height of your lifts in the second video
    thats something you just cannot see in TV
    in that regard also interesting to see the big difference between attacking clear, normal clear and superhigh lifts

17. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Cool @nbonkowksy ! Take this with a pinch of salt, but you remind me of LCW a bit, I know it's a bit of a level gap but the similarity in style (probably the choice of clothing) made me think of him.
    Also a bit off topic- your video also linked me onto you one of you playing vs Ville Lang in 2015, was also very entertaining to watch. ;)

18. Carlos (Mijas)

Carlos (Mijas) Regular Member

Hey guys, so im new in this thread and I recently had a friend who recorded me in my latest tournament, id like to see what you can tell me to improve (skills, tactics, movement...).

Link :

This is what i alredy know from watching it:

- My return of serve is not good, my arm is to low and my elbow not fully streched plus i dont really use my wrist (probably because the two factors said)
    -In general i dont take the shuttle as high as i could
    -In the back-court my hitting is ¿accompanied? with my body (at 2:10 you can see better what i mean)
    -Overall i think my racquet movement is too slow even in smashes (could this make me less deceptive).
    -And last some minor things like smash placement or my own movement around the court.

Sorry if I wrote too much, thanks for reading

PD: I had patellar tendon tendinitis

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

A little holiday bonus: game 2 of a men's doubles match from our last match day (Dec 11th). Despite a severe lack of sleep and really feeling the early symptoms of a nasty cold, I was pretty satisfied with my performance that day. I have some footage from the other MD match as well - let's see if I get around to cutting it :D

I'm the one with the sleeveless white-blue shirt, btw.

#2539 j4ckie, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    WonderfulChild and ucantseeme like this.
  20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Funny thing @j4ckie, I know the small vietnamese lefty in the back from good ol' times playing together. :D