Li Ning Rackets Fan Club :)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by tckang, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Ludwik

Ludwik Regular Member

thanks for the advice :) having switched to the zf2 from the n90-3 is really something. there is more power and more control. just have to train harder now to use it well. btw is there a big difference between the sp version and jp version.

2. decoy

decoy Regular Member

The difference is really just in how much you'll get back if you decide to resell them. I'd save your money and buy SP. There are people that claim there's a difference, but I've never noticed any differences that I don't notice between two of the same coded racquet.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Ludwik

Ludwik Regular Member

oh okay. Since I have the ld red version. I guess i'll try the black original version hehe

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Iirc the white is marginally stiffer and (head-)lighter

5. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    The white is flexier than the black and both are roughly the same balance.

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Doesnt match my experience or the product description.
    They are very similar, though, not a world of difference between them...more similar than any other 2 models I've tested

7. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    Handling both black and white in the shop, the black felt a little stiffer but agree with you, they are very similar. I own a white Xiphos X-1.

Perhaps they are of same spec and colour coating difference made it slightly stiffer?

Also shopbadmintononline is showing that the black is slightly stiffer than the white.

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Haha here the official Li Ning catalogue listed the white as stiff and the black as medium, iirc :D I play-tested both and the stiffness felt fairly similar, but the black definitely carried more weight in its head, which may actually be the main reason it is easier to bend....

But they are so similar that the variance of same-model rackets of another company resulted in a much more noticeable difference, so I would not overthink this if you want to get one of them and cant decide which.
    The difference is really just a small tendency, and as I said, I cant recall any other 2 models that are nearly as similar to each other.

justinwyyau likes this.
  9. stupendous_man

stupendous_man New Member

Only available in 4u here, so not interested unfortunately

Thanks, how stiff are we talking? Stiffer than the N-series rackets? I think someone else said the frame was quite slow? The HX800 isn't Brave Sword quick, but pretty fast still. I also don't think it's that stiff, certainly not as stiff as my MXJJS, bit stiffer than the BS11 I still have kicking around. Might've been similar to the N55II, but I don't have that anymore to compare.

Would something like a N80II or N99 work, or any of the other N-series? I don't mind something with a bit more head weight, or an overall heavier weight; my HX800 is quite a heavy 3u

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Not having tested Victor rackets since I stopped using the Bs09/12, I cant say for sure. The X1 might have a slow frame, but it is not a heavy racket and thus still quicker than the N80ii, N55iii, N90iii...N80ii is my own racket, so I can only recommend it, but I have no idea what it's going to be like for someone coming off a lighter racket. It's probably not as stiff as the Hx800, but heavier - an educated guess, maybe someone who owns both can chime in and confirm/deny.

justinwyyau likes this.
  11. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    My friend, having played with lighter racket.. Before ARCFB, now Windstorm 500, Said that holding my n80ii felt like holding a sledgehammer.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

ArcFB is not a racket. It's a flyswatter. :D

13. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    The X-1 has a massive solid box frame; you can hammer nails with it. It's not aerodynamic for sure but it's quicker than the N55iii and N90iii due to head balance (swung a few shots with N55iii and N90iii). Not sure about N80iii (I suspect they are the same or the X-1 is slower - check out j4ckie's review a few pages back).

It is a very nice racket - very solid and controlled. Carries a bit of weight in the head but not unwieldy. Won't be as quick as BS12 (I use one too) and won't be as stiff as the HX800 for sure.

14. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

My N55-II broke in a doubles match and now I'm thinking about buying a N90-III. Does anyone know how these two rackets compare in head heaviness and stiffness?

From what I've heard the N90-III is not as stiff and head heavy as many other high-end singles rackets (so nothing compared to a VTZF2 for example), which sounds a bit similar to the N55-II, but has a relatively fast swing. Is that true?

Another option would be N55-III but I've heard that its way head heavier than the N55-II..

15. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Mmmm I don't know exactly how well they compare, but maybe you should consider the Panda Power Titan. Quite stiff, slightly HH, nice bulky frame. A lot of the new rackets use a different frame profile.

16. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

The N90-III is not as stiff as a ZFII, but it isn't as head heavy either. N90II BP is 310mm and ZFII BP is closer to 315mm. I own both and the ZFII(3U) is the one that feels flexible :D. I like the N90-III handling, it feels like an extension of my arm unlike the ZF2. A bit more maneuverable, which I love when defending mid-court smashes that should have been solid kills. I admit the smashes are a tiny fraction weaker, but it not really significant. I still score more points with the N90-III, while the ZFII is a bit more 'fun'. They're both really good racquets in my opinion. :)

17. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

This is a Li Ning N99, a noodle of a racquet:

Here is the racquet that is so stiff it breaks people's arms (ZFII):

Both performing a forehand drive, 3 trials each. The image was taken with a 240fps slow motion camera and the image with the most shaft bend was selected. IMHO, the ZFII is just very head heavy and that gives an impression of stiffness... until you have the wrist power to toy with it. :cool:

18. AreYouEvenMad

Well thanks for the comparison between N90-III and ZF2 but actually I was asking about N55-II :D I know that ZF2 will be too extreme for me, so its not an option for me.

19. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Well the N55III is roughly as heavy or heavier than the ZF2 and pretty flexible.

20. AreYouEvenMad

Sorry to correct you again (dont wanna sound rude^^) but I was asking about N55-II, not N55-III. From what I've heard theres quite a big difference as the N55-III is a lot head heavier.

And again, ZF2 is not an option for me, as I'm pretty sure its too head heavy and stiff for me. I'm just asking about N55-II and N90-III ;)