Tian Houwei ( 田厚威 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2013.

1. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    I agree with Laivc that with a lethal smash ala LCW or even SWH would separate him from many. Looking at the way both he and SX payed at the AE they have improved their skills. Both are fitter and made less mistakes. I am surprised they managed to overcome KM and VA, they were ranked higher and expected to win.
    Now why couldn't they do this earlier, like 2015?
    THW's defences have improved greatly and that is how he managed to tire out KM. And his fitness saw him win against HKV. But with a more effective smash he would have finished the game earlier.
    If he can defend well against LD and make less mistakes he could win the AE title tomorrow.

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Stepping in the shoes of Wang Zhengming... :p

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  4. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    he join lower rank tournamnets to boast his confidence

5. visor

visor Regular Member

You have to sympathize with him and WZM though, as they have to live in the long shadows of LD and CL.

But even taking into account of VA's mental and physical abilities in that final (supposedly he was on vacation when called in last minute when Vittinghus withdrew), THW really did well in all his games leading up to the final. Only problem is when VA elevated the pace in the second half of the decider, THW began to mentally fall apart in a quite disastrous fashion.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Agree that the confidence seems to be a weak spot. He is such a gifted athlete. His retrieving is just ridiculous.
    He simply has to find his "inner badass", let it out, and take control. :cool:

7. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

It was not so extreme...

VA was on one week vacation, when he learned he would be playing. Then he was back to practice for a full week, before going of to Dubai :)

So he only missed one week, and he had time to prepare.

I think (at least from the interviews) that the "difference" for him, was partly physical (not being at his peak), but mentally that he was here and hadn't expected it or long term planned for it. There have been talks, if the latter perhaps was a plus to him - if he's putting too much pressure on himself normally, but could play more freely here, knowing it was an unprepped free ride.

JOJ had similar experience earlier in the year, winning when not expected to.

Maybe the same is true for THW?? The "normal" build up is not making them mentally able to give it 100%. In the case of VA - it's a matter of playing "relaxed" - it was probably the single most thing Jonassen was shouting to him all the time during Dubai matches - to relax. Both from a mental aspect (not forcing the rallies and going for the winners), but also from a physical aspect, simply his arm action was much better, when he could take his shots with relaxed muscles and movements - much faster execution of his sticks, thus faster and better shots.

It's odd, that in the case of THW, he's still climbing the world ranking, but we're stating to talk about problems not winning... His results gets better and better. Just not fast enough apparently? I think it's kind of like VA, once he gets his first big win, he will become dangerous :) However, I must admit, I don't see him having the potential to go dominant #1 like LD, LCW and CL has. He seems to be capable of the next highest tier, perhaps reaching the WR#1 spot at some point, but not keeping it for long runs.

Fidget likes this.
  8. Nine Tailed Fox

But

He doesn't remember the taste of glory
    He can't smell the aroma of triumph
    He hasn't dived into lake of satisfaction
    He hasn't romanced with lady luck yet.

How can he win ?

9. FeatherBlaster

I don't know if playing a few GP Gold's would help?

One one hand, he would be able to achieve success in a tournament with a weaker field - but on the other hand, he may not go into it 100% committed and prepared, ending up NOT winning anyway, and then it would only amplify the problematic thoughts in his confidence!!

I guess its a matter of:
    1) Continue to practice and work hard.
    2) Continue to play in SS tournaments.
    3) Continue to tell yourself that you're good enough to win, perhaps with a 15% chance in each tournament you enter.
    4) Be patient.
    5) Really analyze your strength and weaknesses, compare yourself to those opponents you end up loosing to all the time. Compare yourself to those that are successful. And find the areas in your game, that needs improvement or work. Perhaps it's technical/physical. Perhaps it is tactical/strategical. Perhaps it's mental. I think it's easy to "tell yourself a story" and write your losses off to a combination of bad luck and psychological issues, even though there are more tangible aspects of your game that could be the key.

Sometimes improving or working on certain aspects, also affects your mental focus, simply because you get some satisfaction and expectations build up. You get turned on. You see it in single matches: A player with a "plan" from the get go, a coach that keeps the player to the plan, will perform better. Not because it is the best plan in the world, but because there is a plan, and the player trusts the plan - they simply relax and get more focused.

So, maybe THW has what it takes to get to WR top 3. Maybe not. Only time will tell. But getting mentally blocked over missing results athis current age and level, would surely not be of any help. I don't know if the Chinese badminton community has put too much pressure and expectation on him? I think this is one part of developing talents where China often fails. Perhaps it's because there are so many players to pick from, that those picked have huge pressure on them to show some very specific results. And the lack of getting international experience at a young age is not helping here... The "window" for being exposed in international tournaments, and showing results, is somewhat smaller for a Chinese player. On the other hand, I have no clue how many national tournaments and league matches these tier 2 players participate in, and get experience from? But I suspect that it's not exactly the same experience, as travelling abroad playing new opponents that you've never seen before, with foreign umpires, culture and food.

ratul_kai likes this.
  10. FeatherBlaster

I do think THW and Anders Antonsen are similar talents to some degree, both very very promising prospects at young age, wth tremendous capabilities, but doubted by some experts if they have what it takes to go the WR#1. Antonsen is said to fall into this category, because he currently lacks that "something special". He doesn't posses a "weapon" that is obvious, which could become his way of defeating the very top players at a consistent basis... For Axelsen and JOJ, it's more visible (you see them at their top level, you see players that can score points on anyone in the world. For them it's a matter of getting that top-level more often, or getting rid of other problems, causing them to throw games - for Antonsen - and prehaps also THW - it's a question if they have that extra something at all, or if they are just consistenly good all-rounders).

11. Nine Tailed Fox

Coaches knew Lin Dan could be The GOAT from the beginning.
    Coaches knew Chen Long will be the next big thing after Lin Dan.

I don't think, Coaches think Tian Houwei is any special.That's how it works in China.That's why they are more invested in the next big thing, Shi Yuqi and hence the difference in Confidence and Results. Ding Ning!!!!!

12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

But why? What's the difference between him and Chen Long besides the height difference? Everything else can be coached or am I wrong? Both runners in my opinion.

13. Nine Tailed Fox

Tian Houwei's biggest problem is the net area, where he can neither end the point nor save the point(if his opponents find the net cord). Also, he is fooled bit too easily if you compare him with Chen Long when he was 24 Y.O. The majority of Chinese fans think that his strokes don't bite you unlike Chen Long in his younger days.

14. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

There's no doubt that CL's smashes have more bite and his net game is better, but it's to a large extent technical. I don't know why they don't teach him that stuff...

15. Nine Tailed Fox

They are working on his controlling skills(deception,don't leave the net etc etc) but you know there is something called Badminton IQ. - The art of point construction.

Taufik Hidayat and Lin Dan will have a badminton IQ of around 250.
    Lee Chong Wei around 220
    Chen Long around 180

Tian Houwei is under 100 I am afraid,my friend.

16. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I have a strong feeling you completely made those IQ figures up based on your personal rating of these players. :D

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Got all those spot on,haven't I ? :D:D

18. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Except Taufik, yes. :p

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Why? The MAGICAL backhand Down the Line ! What happened ?

20. FeatherBlaster

I don't know your badminton IQ definition, but I suppose that if you have a "genius" level badminton IQ, you don't need to hit that many backhands at all?

:-D

So, THW is no natural, that's what you're saying.

I think in China, there's a hefty pre-selection amongst players and talents. Already from an early age. minimum height, etc.

It's probably the difference between a 1.4 billion population country, and one with only 5 million. To us, that sort of pre-selection is hard to understand, but to Chinese its probably normal, or even needed, due to the large amount of people.

Come to think of it - are there any late bloomers in Chinese badminton?