Yonex Aerosonic 0.61 string

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by lcw the best, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Bugbait

Bugbait Regular Member

Strings like rackets are a subjective preference for players. I've tried BGAS and LN1 both at 24lbs on the same racket (YY N900) and I prefer BGAS for power and repulsion. However, LN1 appears to be much more durable and this is backed by anecdotal evidence on these forums.

BGAS lasts at most 20 to 24 hours of play for me at 24-25lbs if I don't miss hit, much less if I do. My LN1 strung N900 is my backup so it doesn't get much use but after maybe 10 hours of play it's not showing any signs of wear.

There's not a lot of difference between the two, on my rackets and with my playstyle. However, since I string myself I use BGAS because frequent string breaks don't concern me.

If durability is a concern for you then I would recommend LN1 over BGAS without hesitation.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Go with BG-AS.

3. Soumyadeep Dhar

Soumyadeep Dhar New Member

And how long will it last at 24 lbs?(3 days a week, 2 hours a day)...

4. Bugbait

Bugbait Regular Member

Check my second paragraph...

But that's playing doubles with a semi aggressive style at a high intermediate level...assuming no miss hits near the 11 to 1 zone. The N900 has a low top string which makes strings very prone to breaking when miss hit in that region.

My club mate who plays with a Yonex ZF2 and BGAS at 29lbs has similar durability, 20 to 24 hours tops assuming no bad miss hits. On a bad miss hit it can go in the first hour, then again I done that with other strings too.

As always, there are loads of variables and durability is relative to other strings only.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

5. Soumyadeep Dhar

So guyz,ultimately name me some strings that has d best known repulsion power wid atleast 7or 8 durability.......(cost isn't a hindrance) and also d tension where the peak power of d strings are...... U guyz have helped me a lot

6. Soumyadeep Dhar

I have some few options.pls recommend which one 2 choose:
    1. Li ning #1
    2. BG 80 Power
    3. BG 66 Ultimax
    4. Nanogy 98
    5.BG 66 Force
    Also pls recommend where d peak power is..... By the way.... A Very Happy New Year folks.... Have a blasting 2017......

7. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    For durability and repulsion Li Ning no.1.

8. Soumyadeep Dhar

Which one among them has d best repulsion....ohhh I forgot 2 add zymax 62 fire

9. Soumyadeep Dhar

Is li Ming more powerful than nanogy 98 or BG 66 ultimax??

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    ... you keep changing what you want out of a string. Make up your mind what factors are most important to you before continuing this.

11. Soumyadeep Dhar

I just want d greatest repulsion power wid atleast 7 or 8 durability.... Main is repulsion.....

12. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    How about you try one of the recommendations above and come back to us with your findings? Maybe keep the non bgas questions for a new "recommend me a thread".

s_mair and DarkHiatus like this.
  13. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    Been awhile since I commented on anything. Here's my top preference based on my requirements:

1) Aerosonic
    2) BG-85
    3) BG-80
    Other strings used - BG-65, BG-70PRO BG-66, BG-66 Ultimax, NBG-95, NBG-98, CBG-200, 3 Ashaways (which I forgot)

My requirements - strings that doesn't need to break in after stringing. BG-80 requires slight break in while BG-85 plays really well off the stringing machine. Aerosonic requires a little break in (but takes a mere few shots to break in). There's also a feeling that I like when I play which all three strings work (not sure how to explain it, but it is a soft yet distinct feel compared to a hard feel - althought 85 and 80 are considered "hard feeling" by yonex - I will tell you those are "soft" strings). I no longer smash much, mostly drop, drives and lifts. My typical racket is strung at 28x30.5lbs. Aerosonic are now my goto string. As for durability, my string has visible fraying at 3 months of playing MWF - probably a good 1-1.5 hours.

FYI - string doesn't move much for Aerosonic which I think is a plus vs the BG-66 or BG-66 ultimax.
    NBG-95 last and feels a bit better than BG 65, but the feeling is gone way before the string snaps.
    NBG-98 - I like the 98 a lot better than the 95, maybe because of the thinness, but for the cost/feeling, I rather go with BG-85 or 80 (I would put NBG98 between BG-85 and 80 if price was not a factor)
    CBG-200 was a mistake - it is quite brittle in that I actually broke it stringing so I reacquired another pack to string only to find out I really did not like the lack of feel from the string and the tension drops quite quickly as well.

I have only used BG 66 ultimax and Nanogy 98, but if BG 80 Power is a little similar to BG 80, I would say BG-66 (ultimax or force) would probably give you most "power" - thinner strings tend to give more "power". Peak power (tension) changes from person to person - some have to ability to generate power even at 28lbs, but for someone that is weaker, they might max out at 26lbs so I can't tell you what that is for you. Whatever tension you used right now should be about the same tension with the newer string.
    I will tell you I cannot generate any power at 31/32lbs and my power also tapers away when strings goes under 24/25lbs.

14. Soumyadeep Dhar

Okay.... So pls suggest d peak power tension for bg66um.... And also pls tell me how long it will last at that tension wid 2 to 3 days a week of play and 2 to 3 hours a day..... Thank u for ur support.....

15. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    If you are using 24lbs and you haven't tried higher, try a higher tension. Also, I don't know how if you smash a lot, drive a lot, etc. If you do, maybe the string will last a month. At my peak in badminton, BG-65 lasted maybe 1-2 months strung at 26/28lbs - a lot of smashing and driving. BG 66 lasted 2 weeks. Maybe less, if/when I mishit. At the end of the day, you are asking a question that changes from person to person. The only constant is probably how high of a tension can the string be strung before it breaks - I wouldn't string it more than 30lbs.

Basically - you are asking the wrong question. There is no such thing as a peak power tension for a string. There is only peak power tension for you, the player.

justinloong likes this.
  16. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I'm with the smurf here. Good post!

You're right, you get more power from lower tensions. Of course is doesn't scale all the way down to your strings hanging loose! :)

If you're going to play 15 lbs on any string (which is really not much), the BGAS may be the one string that can do it. It will feel like a regular string being strung 3-4 lbs harder. Still, 15 lbs is not much!

If you loose power from 15 or not, is not easy to tell, depend on your swing speed, racket flex and head size. But you will probably FEEL like it has more power (due to better repulsion) if you go a bit up. Try it at 20 lbs.

A lot of people mistake sound and repulsion for power, thinking they get more power from harder strings - they don't - but they will surely get an overall better performing string by going up.

No doubt, BGAS is the string that will give you most power, in all tensions below 28 lbs (maybe also for higher tensions, I don't know).

But, also no doubt, it will not be the most long lasting string (which I think is something that means a lot to you, since you're considering going to 15 lbs).

It will always be a tradeoff - power, repulsion and feel on one hand, durability on the other.

There are a LOT of beginner players, who IMHO don't need more tension than what the BGAS will give you at 17-18 lbs, BUT in this forum, as you can see, you get ridiculed for anything lower than 20. That's because you have some very good players and very good stringers debating technical stuff that they are really interested in.

This also depends on stuff like if you're playing plastics or not. (I'm guessing you are, and I'm guessing that none of those who give you advice are - I myself has not played plastics for at least 30 years).

Saying anything about actual durability for another player is impossible - it will depend on so many things. The only sure thing to say, is that BGAS is NOT the most durable string out there - and you're probably better off getting more power from technical practice and physical exorcise, than you are from going with the thinnest string ever, at a tension that is of the charts (in the soft direction).

:)

Schultzier likes this.
  17. Junk_Male

Junk_Male New Member

Let's try this: string it at 26lbs and see if you can backhand clear from one end of the court to the other end of the court. If you can, increase the tension until you almost can't. If you can't, decrease the tension until you can.

Another thing to consider is how many breaks can you afford. If 26lbs only last you 1week and you can't afford restring your racquet every week, then lower the tension until you can afford (or change to a cheaper string).

Problem solved! :).

As for the durability, I have my BGAS strung at 26lbs and played for over 5 hours (feather birds) and haven't broke it yet.

To avoid mis-hit & break the string, I added 1 more cross at the very top. Can anyone comments on if the additional cross changes the feeling of the racquet?

ucantseeme likes this.
  18. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I agree. BG66UM is really a pain for a stringer to get it out of the machine without any defect if you reach anything over 30lbs. IMO Li Ning No.1 is a much better alternative, but also don't last much long, but don't reach the creep like BG66UM as early.

I need to add if we are talking about mishit breakage you are damn right. :) I made the experience like a few stringers here, too that a high tension can also reduce breakage, because due the higher tension it becomes more demanding to overflex the elasticity of the string, but this is just a case for a few people.

I also need to add, that if you get to a point where durability sucks, you have the choice which you mentioned: lowering the tension, increasing the tension for just a few causes necessary or you need to switch to a more robust string. TBH thin strings are great on performance but you don't get a long time out of them.

19. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Really depends how strong you are. I've had no issues stringing No.1 at 30lbs. I've not snapped #1, but I've seen one strong player snap it, and another strong player fray it.

I've snapped 66UM, but the bigger issue with 66UM is its absolute lack of longevity. Dies in like a week tops. No.1 is better in that regard, it won't go dead as quickly. Nothing can stop you snapping it if you hit hard though.

I found I couldn't string AS at 30, it snaps on me. 29 is my personal limit.

20. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    My BG80 packet has been delayed a week and g tone 5 packets will take weeks still. Li Ning No.1 would take two days to deliver and that would be too long so I'm not ordering that. Zymax 62 isn't available with any of the ashaway shops in city so I'm in a bit of a pickle.

So far aerosonic is one of the few strings I have not had extensive hitting time with. And perhaps the one that eludes me the most in the yonex shop. Any chance I can squeeze out 12 hours from the string if I hold back on smashing unnecessarily? Just need it to last few days (12 hours to be exactly) and I'm willing to go down on the tension to 28 this time around. Should I go ahead with it or is the durability too bad?

I've only gotten 2 hours with it on a zf2 @26. Have always wanted to try it again after that but never found myself in the position to go ahead with the decision given the price difference.