The BC chamber of stringing horrors

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Aug 2, 2016.

1. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    A couple of times i've managed to misweave the entire second cross, so that the top two go over over/under under and either not noticed, or only noticed when i get to the last cross and check the job for misweaves. I've since taken to making a point of checking the first two crosses before i pull tension on them now...

2. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

It would be weird to ban that. With poly string main slide very easily across the mains. And who's gonna verify the string pattern of racket. I do think they ban the double string. The double bed. Don't know what's that advantage though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

As far as I can read in the rules, it's still banned. Strings must be woven symmetrical and crosses should alternate over under mains.

Apparently introduced in the late 70ies.

Probably by today's standard, some of these outrageous patterns makes no sense.

http://www.tennis.com/gear/2013/02/question-day-revisiting-spaghetti-racquet/46306/

Cheers,
    FB

4. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

BTW: I don't play tennis, or string tennis racquets...

Cheers,
    FB

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Funny enough I had the same issue a couple of times in the beginning with the second to last cross when finishing bottom up. But luckily I noticed and corrected it before tying up.

Update: I strung my two JS10's yesterday in a row and it seems like I'm back to normal. No misweaves (and hell, I checked!), knots are fine and I finished the second racket within 35 minutes (@Chow Mein - no chance to do that without your switch. :)).

Oh, and this means that I have crossed the #100 mark! Hurraaaaayyy!!!

6. eckonovember

eckonovember Regular Member

Well at least the quality of the photo is good even if it is a picture of a misweave :) What camera set up did you use to capture that? Had a hard time taking a photo to show my toshi knots yesterday with an iPhone especially with the optic yellow strings...

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Hah, I wanted to do at least one thing properly. :p

It's a Nikon D610 fullframe DSLR with a fairly old (25+ years) Sigma macro lens. Perfect combination to capture things like these. I have tried it too with an iPhone first but couldn't get out anything close to usable.

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I have that big misweave a chance on court. Result: I couldn't feel a thing that was different from a correctly woven job. I even played some serves right with the misweave-area - not an effect whatsoever.

So I won't drive myself crazy in future to check each and every racket in detail for misweaves.

9. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I think when someone is stringing for himself, he is a little bit obsessive. So I don't think you can't not look at your job. I string maybe once a month. Every job I do, I like to give me a score. How is the knots, wait a few days check the ping carltune, play a match check the ping. Check the shpae of the racket. And I like to think that my job is better than my friend. Check the rackets he done for others if he is as good. If my job feels better than I'm all smile inside. I'm not a really good player so I can't tell every subtle difference that a string job does. Sometimes I feel all the strings is the same; all good strings(like zymax, li ning, adidas). By the way I tried string that sells for 1$ on ebay. Ho boy they are really horrible. Even I can feel a difference.

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I did a misweave in sweet spot area once on my racket several years ago and the mains where prone to move and slide like hell. @s_mair No moving mains like hell? :confused:

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Not that I have noticed it. And since I just cut and redone the racket this afternoon, testing time is over.

@fanfaron
    I have significantly reduced this self-rating over time. For example, I only measure the ping once right off the machine and don't repeat it afterwards. As long as the job feels good, there's no need to re-check. It can happen that you get sidetracked by a what seems to be a too low ping and you are ruining that job in your brain only with that low ping. No matter if it actually still felt good. Sure, if I notice a heavy misweave like this at some point, I will redo it soon. But I will definitely not be scanning every single string when a racket comes off the machine.

#171 s_mair, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  12. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Frequent measuring made me stringing more often. Sometimes after 3-4 seasons. I had the effect "Oh it dropped to 1240, NOOO! this is too low and not 31 anymore. It's just 27-28, you need a new job" and with this setting on court the job was always crap. This might be sound really stupid, but your mind can trick and fool you very bad. Without knowing I just go by feel and recommend to just use the feel instead of a number.

13. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Just tilt the racket a bit and you can instantly see if there are misweaves from a more side on angle.

14. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

[​IMG]

For your enjoyment.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Jesus Christ!

16. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I can't see clear here... I'm trying to find the two main and it seems the gromet of the racket is wrong... my eye hurt :)

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Hint: to the left.

18. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I have no words for that

19. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Is this a joke or who the heck have the guts to complete a stringjob like this...looks like the racket is new!

20. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Default factory strings. Quite amusing. First of all I thought it was just wonky strings and then it dawned on me...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Super85 likes this.