Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Hmmm MFH has a huge ego.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    not sure what happen within BAM but 2 things is clear, BAM main objective is to improve Malaysia badminton and MF has been doing fine since he came.

3 silver medals and lot of upcoming MX & MD pairs, i think MF must have been doing something right.

buibui2 and khoai like this.
  3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

LCW and Morten Frost have a very bad relationship since 2015 World Championships. It's time for Morten Frost to leave Malaysia. BAM needs Lee Chong Wei much more than Frost.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Really? He has a team to look after. His job is the whole of Malaysian badminton. Not just one player.

If you look at other sports, there are always these clashes of personalities.

buibui2 and justinloong like this.
  5. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

No doubt about that but by clashing swords with DLCW will might make people forget about what good he has done.

As far as analyzing about achievement in sport for Malaysia , I can dare to say that Badminton has bring so much of consistent proud results and behind this is no other then most probably this guy....... which has nearly single handed brought all of that glory (majority of it).

Despite people knows that he Is retiring within this close period of years but by ending up like this by quiting will indeed makes BAM in a very stressful condition esp. in the eye of all stakeholders if not being deal smoothly and worse case scenario probably other players also in the BAM camp will follow him.......

6. SibugiChai

YAB
    if given the choice, i would retain MF, but LCW cables very strong in Msia, not sure if MF can retain his job.

7. SibugiChai

YAB
    Datuklee is a great ambassador for the game and Malaysia, without him, dont think M'sia will be as well recognized in badminton today.

i hope LCW & MF can find a common ground for the betterment of Msia badminton.

Loh and shooting stroke like this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You sure are true to yourself in stubbornly adhering to your uncalled-for name-calling habit, and persisting in behaving like an ill-tempered overly sensitive boor jumping at every perceived slight. I don't have to defend myself but let others be the judge. Suffice to say once you engaged in ad hominem arguments, you lost. It seems to me you often cannot discuss or debate an issue without quarrelling.

As to whether LCW can help much in not just sparring with but also helping to coach his younger teammates on the side is yet to be tested, we're entitled to our own opinions. LCW is an invaluable asset to MAS badminton and he is still very much on top of his game, with his immense talent and experience, the kind of personal coaching and sparring he can give to his teammates should go a long way in improving their game and raising their standards considerably; nobody is saying he can produce another LCW. By his analyzing and pinpointing the strengths and weaknesses, the limitations and shortcomings, the areas for improvement,and actually demonstrating on court with his charges in a game to test out his theory and observations, putting in practice what they learn from him by taking him on in a match with the maestro himself, nothing beats such personalised coaching,I'd venture to say.

It amuses me that you used Chen Long taking a few years before he's able to beat Lin Dan as a point to justify your argument - as if LYB or CBA cares so much whether CL can take on LD rather than that they are both able to tackle their number one foreign threat consistently enough.

Didn't Rob3rt admits as much that CHN and DEN's situations are much better than MAS for the latter having CL, VA and JOJ, not to mention other bright young prospects ? One can call to mind Jamaica , a small nation with less than 3 mil people, producing a host of amazing sprinters, not just one Usain Bolt but a few others as well as a succession of top-notch runners one Olympic after another capturing multiple golds. In our badminton, there is the Denmark phenomenon, a traditional badminton powerhouse since the time of Morten Frost, or should I say Svend Pri, to Poul Erik Hoyer Larsen, Peter Gade, and now JOJ, VA, apart from their WS (Camilla Martin, Tine Baun) and MD (Bo/Mo). I believe LCW has a unique role to play and can contribute more to MAS badminton's unfortunate situation not only as a player pursuing his own goals, that's for BAM and him to work it out. Enough said.

9. Nine Tailed Fox

LCW has made his intentions clear to BAM.

"Me or Morten ? Fast! "

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

With LCW's unmatched standing in MAS badminton, the authority is in a dilemma but if forced to choose between the two, I'm afraid LCW has more clout than Morten ,at least when LCW is still the only one to deliver results.

A clash of personalities between two prominent figures is often a tricky situation, usually hard to reconcile, esp now that it's come out in the open.

If LCW has not spoken out, perhaps the two can settle their differences or at worst keep it under control behind closed doors. The question is for how long ?

11. Nine Tailed Fox

Lee Chong Wei : "Even if I leave National Team, I will continue to chase my dream of becoming World Champion."

STRONG MESSAGE !

volcom likes this.
  12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

If you consider pointing out hypocrisy and bias ad hominem attacks, I really cant help you. If your argument is hypocritical and biased, it's not a personal attack to point that out. I also pointed out clearly what exactly I considered as such, and if you still consider that an insult to your person, I cant help but think you're acting oversensitive in order to protect a weak argument.
    I also shudder to think what you'd feel like when someone actually started name-calling and insulting you if that already hurt your feelings.

Anyhow, fair point about LCW, but nowhere is it indicated that he doesnt do exactly what you describe, or that he has the observational skills to do so. The picture painted by his own statements, his book and the interviews I saw certainly suggests he doesnt have a great tactical talent or sharp observational skills, and the way he rose to his status would support that. Instead, his strength lies in incredible determination and commitment, motivation to keep training hard, day in, day out, year after year.
    The way his style developed supports that as he developed speed and defense first, and only later added penetrating attacks to his arsenal. I think he doesnt see as much determination, commitment in younger players, and thats what he's critical of.

Regarding the CL thing, you misinterpret my argument once again. The number of times you do this certainly makes me wonder if you do it intentionally....
    My entire point was that he _wasnt_ coached to play against LD, and it showed in how helpless he was in their first encounters.
    My opinion is that LD not wanting to spar with him in training is not out of great fear of an archrival, but rather an old silverback keeping some secrets and preserving as much of his advantage as possible.
    While that is just personal opinion, it was easily observable that CL struggled mightily against LD before the latter took a long break, which is the one matchup where he had to play against a world class player entirely on his own and without weeks and months of coaching how beat exactly that guy. That he eventually reigned supreme over LCW is a result of exactly that kind of coaching, and until 2012 that matchup didnt look so hot for him either.

13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    realistically the other players cannot afford to follow lcw. they don't make enough to pay their own way on the circuit. then there's another important issue: will bam allow all the independent players to enter bwf tournaments after leaving bam on bad terms? i think not.

if lcw quits bam on bad terms he won't be able to pursue his goals as easily as he thinks. bam could shut him down at will.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Theoretically they could, but not letting the best MAS player of all time compete in tournaments out of pettiness would be a stupid move and result in a PR nightmare, as public opinion would instantly be against them.

15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    we would hope that is the case. however, bam is, well... bam. historically not the most intelligently run federation.

Cheung likes this.
  16. Nine Tailed Fox

Lee Chong Wei's last possible reply as a National Team Player? You decide.

"If he(Frost) is not happy with me, say it to my face and I will walk out of BAM."

"He wants a fight, I will give him a fight."

Source : NST online.

indrg and volcom like this.
  17. SibugiChai

YAB
    malaysia give 20million each year to BAM, even withou LCW, bam have enough money.

however, lee chong wei connection is very strong in malaysia, last time he married the prime minsiter wife

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hypocrisy and bias on what grounds, flimsy at most, unjustifiable as I've made myself quite clear in subsequent posts what I meant about LCW and the MAS situation but you choose to conveniently ignore it and stuck to your guns obstinately. Enough of this petty quarrel as I don't wish to be seen as engaging in one with you. Your continuing to do so willfully only serves to reflect badly on you.

I repeat in other words, if MAS situation is as desperate as LCW made it out to be , then it calls for drastic, unusual, or desperate measures. Things don't happen without a reason and we really have to be honest and go to the root of it, objectively and impartially without sparring anyone or anything, no use playing the blame game though. Nobody in his right mind would deny or diminish LCW's invaluable and tremenduous contributions to MAS badminton - he is certainly MAS greatest sporting hero bar none.

However, all these years, MAS badminton has been nothing but LCW pursuing that elusive first gold for the nation so much so that everything else becomes secondary or inadvertently overlooked until it's too late. What happened to Darren Liew after winning his maiden SS title, the French Open, Koo KK/Tan BH capturing the prestigious All England MD title, Chong Wei Feng showing lots of promise at one time (I remember him being singled out by Lin Dan as the MAS MS to watch), and now Iskandar as LCW pointed out for lacking sufficient hunger to succeed? Shouldn't more attention and resources be devoted to them rather than overmuch on LCW alone for so long? Any organization that is a one-product entity mostly will sooner or later come a cropper, similar to putting all the eggs in one basket.

That's why I'm suggesting that LCW can and should do more for MAS badminton not only in pursuing his own goals but also playing his part to uplift the standard and help in whatever way he can to foster younger talents. For one, MAS MS is patently short of a sparring partner of his caliber and if he is willing to double up as a trainer-coach to help identify,nurture and mentor young promising talents in MAS, what could be better ? I feel it is time for LCW to repay BAM and the state for what they've done for him throughout his long illustrious career.

So much for bothering to translate and share that Chinese article and casually weighing in with good intentions.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If true, LCW and Morten Frost's standoff has reached a point of no return.

To think that it was none other than Morten Frost who who talent-scouted the young LCW. A sad state of affairs.

I have a feeling that LCW is venting his pent-up frustrations accumulated over the years, his spat with Morten happens to be the fuse that ignites the fire.

20. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Pretty sad, when Morten was one of LCW's biggest fans.

One just has to look at the way he commentated LCW's games.