Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

It does seem like this recently, eg. how he handled the Goh Jinwei incident when she withdrew from a tournament due to injury.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

So true.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Morten Frost himself is one of the all-time greats as a player, when BAM appointed him Head Coach, the burden on his shoulders is undoubtedly heavy as he is expected to deliver results in good time, the more so in a badminton-crazy nation where every move he makes is under scrutiny, made worse by the general public's growing impatience for bigger successes than what LCW has single-handedly already achieved thus far but fall short of what they think MAS deserved.

Perhaps that led to Morten being a bit more assertive in getting things done his way and unwittingly fraying the nerves of some players. I'd say effective two-way communications with sensitivity to the concerns of each other is essential.

4. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Mind refreshing my memory? Sorry... really can't recall

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

First things first, get a proper coach. One that tells you NOT to play that slow-a** game against your arch-rivals and NOT trying to play a control type of game in the matches that really matter to you when your forte is clearly your superb speed and attack!

Abu Tanki likes this.
  6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Let me put it bluntly. How stupid is Morten Frost ?

LCW : ''He met Hendrawan yesterday (Monday) and asked if this was the end to my career. How could he ask something like that?''

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Frankly, such a confrontational approach and outburst from LCW is unbefitting of him. I should expect the two to thrash out their differences and misunderstandings behind closed door, and call in a higher official to mediate if necessary.

Why let matters come to such an ugly head?

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Let me correct you Mr. Justin.

LCW : " For 18 years, I have given my relentless service to BAM. And this is what I get in return."

Source : NST online.

Fans all over social media have backed LCW for exposing Frost.

9. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    It doesn't really seem like LCW. He always seems like a quiet and kind guy.

Cheung likes this.
  10. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    I do not know what happened but with the recent achievements of BAM players and BAM's previous achievements under the guidance of the same coach, I do agree that MF is doing something right. Not everybody likes changes, especially when you've been in the same setup for years.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Its possible they tried to do just that and were unable to make amends, and that this social media outburst is just the tip of the iceberg.
    Another possibility would be that this is a power play by LCW to assert his dominance - making sure he can continue to do as he pleases, even if the head coach disagrees.
    While I consider the second scenario unlikely, its still possible nonetheless, and without trustworthy insider information I doubt there will be much clarity as both sides will publish their own perspective.

buibui2 likes this.
  12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, his earlier approach of using that speed didnt prove too successful, did it?
    Optimally, he'd control the pace to a level thats comfortable and sustainable for him and inject pace to win points with decisive attacks, ideally with 3-4 strokes.
    LD was a natural at that, playing that way pretty much from 2007 to 2012, but LCW has not yet shown to be as penetrating in his attack, not as decisive, and gets countered when attacking to carelessly, at least by LD and CL.
    I liked his approach against LD in the OG, it may not be very natural for him and thus be a struggle at times, but it was certainly better than his 2013 or 2014 efforts (WC and AG).

buibui2 likes this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's what I thought.

14. esppy

esppy Regular Member

I guess its when that kind of silent guy that keeps everything in his head lets it go, he lets it rip. It never rains but it pours.

Over here it's been known that he doesn't kind of like certain stuff (won't delve deeper, missing the plot) but so many people just don't know it at all and his support is immense still. PR success I would say.

15. Nine Tailed Fox

Morten Frost blasts Goh Jin Wei :You are not TRUTHFUL!

[​IMG]

“We have an issue with Jin Wei. She was not truthful about her condition. We have to nip it in the bud,” said Frost yesterday.

“She stopped training last Wednesday (before Malaysian Masters) saying she was injured. We sent her for an MRI and everything was fine.

“She also said she was okay two days before coming here but now she seemed to be injured again.”

buibui2 likes this.
  16. swunk

swunk Regular Member

From what i read here, I'm definitely not on LCW's side, quite frankly, i'm losing respect for him, being this hysterical little girl. "Oh, the mats were slippery, i fell, i told mi papa, but he didnt hear :tears:" If he saw it was slippery, why play? He's not a poor man, he could even invest in changing the mats himself!
    Claiming he's done so much for BAM, does he think BAM's done nothing for him??
    Before the olympics maybe Morten Frost acted in LCW's best interest to prepare HIM for the games, having HIM play with the best. And now LCW says the juniors didn't benefit from playing with him! Sounds hypocritical.

buibui2 likes this.
  17. Nine Tailed Fox

18. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Man, I could never have dreamt things turning out like this!

I remember how pissed I used to be when I heard Morten commentate, his bias for LCW was legendary.

AND now this?

Somethings wrong. Also we don't know all the facts yet. Morten has not commented.

I can't imagine LCW having no blame AT ALL for this.

What one must keep in mind is that the aims and goals of LCW and MF differ. LCW thinks only about himself as a player, as he should, while Morten needs to look after the whole squad.

Sometimes what may be good for LCW may not be good for the squad.

buibui2 likes this.
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

After LCW's flare-up which sounded harsh to me, I' ve to say Morten Frost's reaction and response is pretty restrained based on what's been reported. Actually, it's rather hard for us outsiders to really know the full story, the ins and outs.

As for Goh Jin Wei, if her relationship with Morten is already strained for some time, it's not surprising that she avoided telling Morten the truth about her condition. It so happened she was caught out when Morten sent her for MRI scan. But for Morten to publicly reproach the young girl for being untruthful instead of siting down with her for a heart-to-heart talk, that leaves no room for compromise, how to mend the broken relationship ?

No wonder they say, it never rains but it pours.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I can definitely see MF's point here, injury is a serious issue for any athlete, so you should always be open and honest to your coach on the topic of injury and injury worries (pain, discomfort). An MRI is often expensive, so having one unnecessarily is a waste of resources. (Having one show youre not injured is not always a waste, btw)
    Saying youre injured twice in a week, playing fine in-between or thereafter certainly seems strange.