Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That a sport organisation's official would say something like that is very telling imop. He is 'a bit strict'? We all saw where your not-so-strict attitude led Malaysian Badminton, and KKK/TBH are the living example.
    Most elite athletes have iron discipline - but it doesnt come naturally to all, so you need the coach to instill that in them, and I think MF is probably on a good path, if recent Malaysian success is anything to go by. A bit ironic that LCW complained about younger players lacking bite and then chafes at the bit when MF takes it upon himself to enforce discipline.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Yah, that's why I agree, it's a clash of egos between the newer head coach vs the established star player. Happens more often than not.

3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

How will LCW accept less, my friend ?

Best Player in the World, lifelong dream of becoming a World Champion....He needs MOOOOOOOOOOORE attention than ever! This is probably his last chance. Put yourself in LCW's latest Yonex shoes and see the world then.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ask any male coach the difference in handling male and female players, esp young girls. I mean you've to be more sensitive and subtle with their emotions. I remember when CHN Kong Linghui was first asked to coach the female table tennis players he immediately expressed awareness of the gender differences and the psychological aspects that he must bear in mind when dealing with them.

volcom and visor like this.
  5. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work

#12705 samkool, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i believe, in frost's eyes, rio was lcw's last chance for gold... win or not. if i was in frost's position i would view lcw's rio run as his swan song as well... win or not.

if lcw won gold he would figuratively retire. he might have continued to play, but there would be no pressure anymore in training, or to maintain #1, or win anything. he would be coasting like lin dan: playing enough to qualify for the prestigious tournaments. nobody would expect a tokyo run due to his age. in fact, age would be an excuse to cut back on his tournaments. bam could focus on the younger players with a clear conscience while lcw basks in his godly status.

since lcw did not win gold, and the age issue is the same, well... here we are. who in their right mind would bank the team's future on lcw getting gold in tokyo? he will be pushing 38(!) in tokyo (37 yrs 10 months). the only issue here is bam's to solve, not morten frost's. bam must save face in dealing with an aging superstar, whereas frost's duties are clear cut: get gold in tokyo.

on paper lcw is still one of the true elites... ok, he's #1. in conversation he can beat everybody 95% of the time, except chen long. what most people do not take into consideration is 'as lcw gets older could he beat viktor axelsen 5 days in a row...?' i ask this ?'n because you need to beat 5 younger top 20 players 5 days in a row to win a tournament. not easy @ 35. harder at 36. even harder at 37...

athlete's & fans are emotional.
    management must be objective.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Awareness of psychological difference, cut down on gender inequalities.

I puzzle about this as well.

Amd then why get angry, say there is a conspiracy to get him out of BAM, and then threaten to quit BAM? Seems like his publicity team haven't thought things through very logically.

The guy already has the hugest of respect across - why make himself look undignified? Has he been taking lessons from Donald Trump?

buibui2 and volcom like this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Looks like you are trying to stir emotions more than anything else, my friend.

buibui2 likes this.
  9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    i am malaysian 1st, lcw fans 2nd.. hahaha

buibui2 likes this.
  10. visor

visor Regular Member

I don't think he has PR agent? He probably has built up resentment with MF and how he is managing the squad. Already has been mentioned about practicing in 2 separate groups. An article also mentioned friction started in Japan open 2015 when MF didn't allow Tay SeuBok to accompany LCW to Japan.

Clash of egos...

volcom likes this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I thought maybe he has a PR agent from his line of business.

I disagree it is a clash of egos - it is a clash of one ego versus management.

buibui2 and nokh88 like this.
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, and now that it's out in the open, the question is whether it's repairable. And if not, which one will be leaving...

It'll be sad state of affairs if it comes to that.

13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    if that was the case lcw really has no excuse and cannot be blameless. he's a professional... he could clean it himself... or get someone to clean it for him before he starts... unless he's too much of a diva. if he thought there was a problem with the courts why the hell did he... :eek: oh never mind.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Well, it is very interesting because can players (or coaches) overcome management? Would the player be willing to handle the management duties? And of course, BAM had problems with player discipline and poor management which has led to the decline of Malaysian badminton as a whole on the world stage.

16. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Latest :

Lee told AFP Wednesday that the association's president had told him that his issues would be settled, without going into further details.

"I don't know. Let's see how it goes," Lee said when asked if he thought his complaints could be resolved.

You think he will back down ? No chance. He will have his way in training and Morten will be unable to do anything. Note it down for a little prediction.

tbgoh288 and volcom like this.
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Reference please.

18. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    As a Malaysian, I have seen many cases like this, 99% everything will be back to normal.

LCW & MF will kiss and make up

buibui2 likes this.
  19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ...but bam still has to sign the paperwork. if things go to hell they could choose not to.