Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Things need to be professionally sort out between this 2 badminton legend quickly .As a Malaysian, this is just making the badminton scenario looks bad here and surely BAM can be seen as a laughing stock if they can't immediately solve this before it goes out of proportion. It also can indirrectly create a cloud of uneasiness among the players knowing that this 2 high profile and influence people fighting.

I think I need to recruit John Wick to solve this if all efforts failed........... :) :) :) :) :) :)

visor likes this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Pardon me for asking, who is John Wick ? Is he highly regarded by both LCW and MF to mediate between them ?

MAS badminton is larger than either LCW or MF, I hope they can set aside their differences, or at least diminish them, for the sake of the long-term interests and wellbeing of badminton as a whole in Malaysia. Seems to me, MF by remaining silent so far and avoiding hitting back, is the one willing to make concessions.

shooting stroke likes this.
  3. YonexGameSetMatch

YonexGameSetMatch Regular Member

I guess shooting stroke is talking about this John Wick...

buibui2 and shooting stroke like this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Huh? Aahh,I didn't get his joke. Thanks.

shooting stroke likes this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This is the one thing that also puzzles me and wonders if some of the words have been taken out of context.

I read nine tailed fox's link to the malay mail and although it is dated from this morning 0700, that would imply NO new information from the previous day (almost 20 hours previously). Having dealt with reporters before, one also has to bear in mind some 'ghost writing' is a possibility with embellishment of the truth.

I also checked Star online and there is no report today so I don't think there is any 'ultimatum'.

Not sure what nine tailed fox is on about but certainly he seems to be the most vocal one in supporting LCW to leave BAM and stirring up negative sentiment.

indrg and visor like this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well, if there's no denial by LCW after a few days, then we assume it's correct, no misquotation.

7. lasalleguy

lasalleguy Regular Member

wannabe player
    MF is doing the right thing by not commenting, if he does it will only make it worse. LCW being the icon he is in Malaysia should have kept quiet.Complain to the boss is OK but insubordination is a no no in any organisation unless you want out.
    But every coin has two faces and every story has two sides. BAM must take the initiative immediately
    to settle this issue asap. BAM by keeping a low profile is bad for badminton in Malaysia. All of BAM administrators are
    usually politically appointed non player types, don't think they would understand the frustrations of local players.

8. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The surprising thing for me is the mat affair. I can't make head or tail about it. How can mats be slippery by themselves, without the dust or sweat factor? If they were slippery because of dust or sweat, then why LCW did not wipe them? There is something unexplained there in my opinion.
    The mat affair leading to injury is probably only superficial in the divide and radical attitude of LCW. Something perhaps happened behind the stage, perhaps about Frost trying hard to push LCW into retreat. But me might never learn for sure.
    In any case, it is very bad for any organisation when an employee goes to M-2, short-circuiting the direct boss. If it has to be done, then it should be done secretly, so to preserve the authority of the nominal leader.

buibui2 and visor like this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

But is it as emotional as some people are trying to make it out to be? Or something said in the heat of a moment at the time of the injury?

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Another Bomb dropped by Lee Chong Wei in the media

Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) technical director, Morten Frost Hansen is a controversial figure in Malaysian badminton.

This can be traced way back to 20 years ago when the lanky Dane was the head coach of the national team from 1997-1999.

Then, Frost declared 'war' with Nusa Mahsuri Club. This time, the Dane clashed with BAM's main asset, national champion Datuk Lee Chong Wei, 34.

Chong Wei's problem with Frost began in 2015 when the Dane did not allow Chong Wei's coach, Tey Seu Bock to accompany him to the Japan Open.

"I needed a coach to assess my game and the opponents. After I complained, he allowed Seu Bock to accompany me to the Korea Open the following week," said Chong Wei.

He said he was desperate for points to qualify for Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games after suspension for doping.

The badminton champion was once again 'played out' by Frost who did not allow back-up players from sparring with him one month before the Olympic Games.

"I do not know what is the problem with him. It is as if he wanted to sabotage me, but the latest incident really made me angry.

"He cannot wait for me to retire. Am I disrupting his programme? What exactly is his badminton programme for the country?

Chong Wei said those who do not know badminton will say that Frost has brought changes merely by the success in tournaments overseas.

"However, those in the know are aware that the standard of the tournaments recommended by Frost is low and that the competititon is weak.

"If this is his programme, then anybody can do it. The BAM does not need to hire Frost," he added.

http://english.astroawani.com/sports-news/morten-frost-chong-wei-clash-nothing-new-131799

volcom likes this.
  11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

What a poor showing by LCW. It is hard to believe he would express himself in such a way in the media.

buibui2 likes this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That is a rehash of another article. Same news gets picked up.

And a news article from 2016 says sparring partners were given for Rio. So what is the truth.

13. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I see. Indeed this is the kind of news that sells paper, specially in Malaysia!

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This bit is Nine Tailed Fox's creation to try and stir things up :) ;)

indrg and buibui2 like this.
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I mean the 34-year-old LCW, a Datuk, a well-known public figure and a famous sport celebrity for years, how can he not know the impact his words have when he speaks to the press ? The less he speaks to the public, the better even if he is trying to gain public support. Mind you, he is clashing with none other than the technical director, not a fellow teammate who would still deserve some consideration.

If I were the BAM president or deputy, it'd upset me greatly that LCW chose not to come to me for a private discussion and instead blurt out all those words in the open, the more so when I've assured him we'd look into his complaints and grievances. Blabbing the way he's doing will only invite more gossips and tend to make matters worse as some people are wont to read more into it, to the extent of concocting conspiracy theories. I've a feeling it may backfire on him, resulting in some backlash.

Morten Frost, on the other hand, has been conducting himself appropriately with self-restraint and propriety as befitting his position, it reflects better of him in this regard. Already, I'm beginning to have some sympathy for him even without hearing his side of the story, emotionally speaking. Of course,I'll try my best to remain as objective, fair and impartial as possible until the whole truth is out, if ever.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This part supposedly uttered by LCW, if true - "I do not know what is the problem with him. It is as if he wanted to sabotage me, but the latest incident really made me angry." - is LCW getting paranoid ?

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Good point Justin L. Speaking to the press is different to speaking in public.

You might speak in a private conversation but the contents get disclosed along a chain. Things get twisted and emphasized for the sake of 'journalism' or trolling. Thus, it is always important to remain as impartial as possible until true validity and intention is confirmed. And that doesn't mean two press articles confirm the same thing as one might be written based on another unsubstantiated press article.

buibui2 likes this.
  18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

A little headline keeps my enthusiasm going.

buibui2 likes this.
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In the age of smartphones and the Internet,one cannot be too careful with what one says and does in public. On the other hand, viewers and hearers should exercise caution in not jumping to conclusions without verifying or validating what they see or hear. Words can kill too, and what you see may not be what it is.

As we know, the press, esp tabloids, are given to sensationalizing such news or juicy gossips, just so to boost readership. That's why it's strongly advisable for LCW to stop prattling and babbling all those sensitive and controversial remarks to the press or in public or on social media.

If what's been posted so far of what LCW said of Morten Frost is all true, it constitutes a personal attack on him.

#12759 Justin L, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

One may understand the cosmos, but never the ego; the self is more distant than any star. - G. K. Chesterton

buibui2 likes this.