Yonex BG AeroBite

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by BengGuan, Jun 17, 2016.

1. esppy

esppy Regular Member

I think the above did mention, digital stringing constant pull or something, coupled with my assumption that if I told my chef I would like 28lbs, he'd do what he knows best and deliver that feel. And if you think you are playing at what the stringer delivered at 28, with the job a particular stringer strung, then honestly we're pretty much done. I like to think of a stringjob as a more emotional feeling thing than say, a numbers game. Chef A's 28 may not be what you like and perform best compared to Chef B's 28.

I know of smart alecks doing/asking/trying 28x30 because the "cross is +2 of what they want", or 27x29 because the tension when the strings mate in the middle happens to be *drumroll with gasp* middle ground 28! Holy crap are they genius! Say, why not let's do 26x30? Middle ground logic!

2. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

May I ask if you have experimented with different main/cross tensions? I personally find that different tension on the crosses yields a fairly noticeable change in feel, which may or may not be preferred. The benefit of specifying both main and cross tension is to eliminate any chance of ambiguity. If I ask for 30x32 for example, I expect the result to be fairly close to those numbers regardless of who strings it. That is unless the machine being used is wildly out of calibration, which I sure hope isn't the case with a $5000-$10000 stringing machine.

Regarding your comment about the middle ground logic, I am sorry but you've completely lost me. :)

3. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Tried it, and in all honesty, the only variance like you said is the stringer and machine, so I focus more on finding the right guy than actually finding the right numbers. You have only one palette and out there are so many restaurants selling the same thing, that's my school of thought.

As you were asking, I've came across at least 2 people where they wanted a certain tension. Let's take 25lbs. Instead of telling it as is, they decide to outsmart the stringer (honestly, one guy was telling me so proudly like he invented something revolutionary) by asking 24x26, thereby "creating" the effect 25lbs when the main and crosses intersect upon a stringjob. Don't know how true, but I'd rather focus some of that brain energy for a certain stroke or footwork.

As an extra, while some say 2 or 4 knots don't matter, with the same stringer, I can say I much prefer the 4.

4. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I've just done my racket at 25/27, usually I do square tensions, but I'm noticing I'm losing more tension on crosses than mains. Doing it to mitigate the tension loss. I don't think the string diameter will change that. Not really trying to change the feel.

5. Chunithm

Chunithm Regular Member

According to my stringer, the most frequent job he gets requested is +2 on the cross. 2 more on the cross gives less repulsion but better control, 2 more on the mains give more repulsion but less control. Rarely does anyone ask for +2 on the mains and its either +1-2 on the cross or +0-0.5 depending on the string, racquet, playstyle skill level etc.

6. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Adding to mains is asking for an easter egg shaped racket.

I'd reject to do mains +2 as a stringer...

Cheers,
    FB

7. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I tried these strings out this week and was not that impressed. I've tried the Adidas hybrid strings from 2013 and felt the same with these, I found the feeling to be dull. I noticed slight differences in playability but nothing that made me go wow, this is what I have been missing. Stupid Yonex marketing ploy to get people to buy new strings. I will give these a miss and stick to my trusty BG80s.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    When dealing with the insane, the best method is to pretend to be sane.

8. Chunithm

Chunithm Regular Member

I agree, not impressed, if anything highly disatisfied going from 66um to these. I have yet to try bg80 or 80p, which was my choice until i noticed aerobite and decided to test it. How does bg80 compare to 66um?

9. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Not as easy to use fresh as 66um, but stays usable for a much longer time. I would say a little less repulsive than 66um.

10. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    BG80 is the most 'hard feeling' string of the Yonex range and for me it suits my game. I like the bite and feeling it gives me, especially to compliment my game. It is also fairly durable and a great all round performing string. Not to mention the sound when you hit is great, you really get good feedback in your shots. 66UM although giving more feel and control on touch shots, for me lacked the durability and control on slices and from the back. I found it too soft compared to BG80 and I didn't like the sound and feedback or lack of.

The above is my opinion, it's a very subjective topic.

Aerobite definitely felt like it gave less repulsion due to the hybrid combination than using 66UM used on it's own.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    There used to be a real me, but I had it surgically removed.

11. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I'm trying to understand why people like hard strings, because one can always string BG65 3-4 lbs more and save some money. Anyone mind explaining?

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    It's not the same

13. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    BG65 (soft feel) is a completely different feeling string to BG80 (hard feel), why would stringing it tighter make it feel similar? Plus the gauges are different. Like I said it's very subjective, I like the hard feeling as it gives me good feedback when I hit a shot, I know as soon as the shuttle has left my racket if I have hit it well or not. The strings sit more rigid on my racket and hence give me that accurate feedback as I am accustomed to that feeling. With soft strings, you lose that feeling as the strings give a bit more repulsion. Also the hitting sound of harder strings is unmatched.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    There used to be a real me, but I had it surgically removed.

14. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

That's quite interesting, because I've found softer strings to sound more intimidating and hit harder. The tighter the string is, the more feedback anyways. I can't play BG80 at tensions nearly as high without losing alot of power. With BG65, I can string as tight as the stringer will do and gain some power with minimal difference in feel.

If I string at say, 32+, the only issue would be durability and BG65 handles that best because it is thick. Cost is also a factor, as I need to restring up to once a week if I play often. I would need to string BG80 lower to match the durability of BG65, so the feel does not differ by much. Specifically, the quality of my net shots and smash accuracy is essentially identical.

Enlighten me? :)

15. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    Lin Dan using it in Swiss open?
    Some red strings he is sporting, aerobite?
    Marketing at work?

16. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    There is a LD version of BG80 and 66U

17. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Aerobite it is...

#77 esppy, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  18. esppy

esppy Regular Member

[​IMG]

To bite the shuttle for a better drop and clear? Hahaha.

19. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Wouldn't be shocked if it's just a mix of BG80 red and white. He's a picky person.

20. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    True, but sounds were more like bg66um. I have an ear for that, bg80s and bg66um have differentiable sounds.

esppy likes this.