Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Don't be bothered by LD's loss to Shi. He certainly let his junior win.
    For LCW's declaration, we can compare it to the answer LD gave to journalists comparing he and LCW to Federer and Nadal : LD said he and LCW were the LD and LCW of badminton, that's it, and that is big enough.
    It seems that LCW cannot think big.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I take your point. Where is the limit of 'not too much in the face'?

I am OK if a person turns away from facing the opponent almost immediately.

#13162 Cheung, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Welcome back Uncle OTB.

I prefer to think that MF's question about retirement is more of a worry than what was reported otherwise. I think MF is a nice man.

But I will wait for your CIA/FBI investigations at the Kopitiam for the truth. We need the Professionals. :)

4. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

Tennis is much more grand & famous than badminton, the tournament prize is much bigger, the sponsor is also much bigger. LCW is thinking big and ahead of time. Unlike LD who only scope of view is limited to only Badminton. For LD badminton is already big enough.

Roger Federal annual earning is already in excess of USD$50 million per year.

It seem LD cannot think big.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Not an issue then.

6. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys

PLEASE!

Stop misleading us here with your assumption of MF asking on LCW's condition when it's already the fact that MF already asked LCW to retire even post Rio and sabotaged his training with his junior even prior Rio.

There were all over the media if you need fact (in fact you could go back a few pages to read what really happened). Get your fact right.

7. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Sabotaged!?
    I wonder how many players in the world had a setup with what could be considered more or less a personal coach and team. LCW and Marin?

But hey, let's just agree to disagree here.
    :)

(I'm beginning to see the wisdom in Forestal and OneToughBirdie's posts)

Cheers,
    FB

8. FeatherBlaster

Well, that's not so easy to say, and I guess that is your valid point.

I think that it shouldn’t be directed at the opponent in such a way that it could be considered direct communication. (Like shouting to your opponent while looking at him). And needless to say, you shouldn't be threatening nor mock or ridicule your opponent.

As long as it seems to be happiness or pride of your own effort, or the occasional shouting to pump up yourself and get into the zone - even the agonising outlet of frustration if you make a really big miss - we should be OK.

But I do agree, it can be difficult to draw the line... As Marin sometimes show us.

Cheers,
    FB

Cheung likes this.
  9. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Of course tennismen earn much more money. But here obviously what is in question is not the money Fed and Rafa made, but how they dominated their sport, how they are seen as the best in their dominion, so as to serve, for LCW, as a metaphor for their own dominance.
    But in China, and maybe in Malaysia, badminton is bigger then tennis, so if you would like to explain to a person who is Federer, one could explain by saying "he is the LD of tennis".
    In any cases LD and LCW's status do not need other standards to be understood.
    But perhaps for you money is paramount.

Justin L likes this.
  10. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

That was AFTER LCW complaint it to the media.
    badlove is referring to the events BEFORE LCW complaint it to the media.

11. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

Fact is Tennis is bigger than Badminton.
    In sports, money & sponsorship determine the size of the sport.

12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The meaning is not which sport is bigger, but the way the athletes dominate their respective sport.

Justin L likes this.
  13. FeatherBlaster

No. Hendrawan and TSB were already working more or less exclusively with LCW in the OG build up. MF assigned Hendrawan to work soecifically with LCW from the doping suspension was lifted and until OG.
    LCW wanted both of them to go with him to Rio, and BAM/MF did list them both initially.
    The IOC however were not willing to grant so many accreditations as the BAM had requested, and told BAM they could get 4 cards for coaches and support staff in total.
    That was when BAM/MF had to choose and of course they couldn't just grant two accreditations to LCW's singles coaches, knowing they had to include some physio as well and coaches for all the doubles pairs.

Back in August Malaysian newspapers appreciated MF's decisions to allocate Hendrawan 14 months to LCW and the accomplishments of getting 2 additional silver medals from other players than LCW.

Now LCW is unhappy, and you all say MF sabotaged LCW'S OG campaign and for unknown reasons rejected that TSB could go to the OG..... But that was not the case, was it?

Cheers,
    FB

14. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

O gosh! You got it wrong!!! TSB case is for Japan Open.

LCW: All this while I have remained patient, and my coach Hendrawan also often reminded me to be patient. But as Frost's attitude this time went overboard, like an attempt to sabotage me... I lost my temper. From the demand to change the court surface that went unheeded, to the statement made indicating he wanted me to retire – this is too much. Why is he so eager to see me retire? Train the younger players to get ahead of me, why take the easy way? What has he done for me? He is not involved with my training. Since the time I returned from a doping suspension until I got the silver medal at the Olympic Games for the third straight time last year, all that was from the efforts of myself and my two coaches Hendrawan and Tey Seu Bock. What did he do? Sabotaging my chances by not allowing the juniors to spar with me in preparation for the Rio Olympics.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2017/02/10/chong-wei-im-not-big-headed/#hlAHYhRsgRFUpqIL.99

badlove likes this.
  15. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

Which part of LCW statement talk about 'domination'? Pls quote it
    LCW is talking about 'Age' & 'Great Performance' for fan or in other words "old but still being competitive in sport".

Rafael Nadal, age 30, World Ranking = 6
    Roger Federer, age 35, World Ranking = 10

LCW, age 35, World Ranking = 1
    LD, age 34, World Ranking = 7

Btw, a lot Malaysian know who is Roger Federer & Rafael Nadal, there no need to explain to Malaysian who are them.
    Just pick any newspaper in Malaysia.....Malay, Chinese or English during Wimbledon or Grand Slam you will definitely
    able to read tennis news & see the photo of the player. LCW is just like any other Malaysian, when it come to sport our interest & knowledge are more globalize.

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/

#13175 Micheal8, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  16. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    You were ahead of me haha. Thanks.

He was separated from the rest of the junior denying him for a spar practice while as a junior he had too spar with his senior.

Just to make it clear to Feather and Jackie, to spar is not to feed shuttles. Too many misunderstanding here.

17. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Of course lot of people know those tennis players, but maybe not their significance among the tennis fans, i.e. they are to be rank among the best of all time, if not the GOAT.
    This is what LCW and LD points to when they receive or neglect the comparison with them.

18. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

[​IMG]

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Allow me to say a word in fairness. That's LCW's perception, thoughts, (mis?)understanding, feelings. In a court of law, the judge will also want to hear Morten Frost's side of the story,his explanation, clarify his intentions, and perhaps Hendrawan is called up to give his input, before establishing any (degree of) wrongdoing on MF's part (negligence, oversight, sabotage ?). Communication breakdown often leads to misunderstanding causing conflicts (a husband-and-wife quarrel ?).

I reckon that's why until today, the BAM president (or the MAS government) did not reprimand nor take disciplinary action against MF. Now that BAM has succeeded in appeasing LCW by giving him what he wants and letting MF carry out his designated job for the rest of the national team (redressing the balance,apportioning resources more appropriately, doing more for the juniors, etc) without the two having to cross each other's path, we should let the matter rest (even though it may be a temporary peace or uneasy truce) and give everybody a chance to move on.

Simply put, if MF is (even suspected of) working against BAM's interests or, worse still, sabotaging LCW's, will BAM (or the MAS gov't) still retain him ?

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

All the infighting is doing MAS badminton no good.