Swiss open Grand Prix Gold

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by renbo, Mar 13, 2017.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    drmchsraj likes this.
  2. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Does anyone have news about that proposed "Race-to-11, best-of-5" format? BWF said they're studying it, and LCW said he'll most definitely go to Tokyo 2020 if it's implemented because it favors players like him and LD.

3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Where is the dislike button for this post?

Obviously, Shi Yuqi got lucky in the first set at All England. Lin Dan making a silly error at the net on one set point and misjudging the flight of the shuttle on other.

Obviously, Lin Dan was not in his best physical condition after his duel with Viktor Axelsen and is slowly coming into his best form after a six month layoff.

Plus, Shi Yuqi really stretched Lin Dan in CBsl so there is no reason why he couldn't do the same there at All England.

I wrote in the Lin Dan thread that Lin Dan will reflect on the defeat and with some tweaks in the tactics will come really hard the next time they face each other.

So be gracious in victory that your favorite Lee Cw won the All England and I am happy too but please don't write this crapola that Lin Dan wanted to avoid Lin Dan, he is afraid of an injured Lee CW..He didn't want to face him in this condition...

Form is an important factor. Last year,LCW slowly came to his best form after flopping in All England and India Open. We saw the best Lcw in Malaysia. Does that mean LCW was afraid of Lin Dan and wanted to avoid him in All England? No.

#343 Nine Tailed Fox, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Justin L and tbgoh288 like this.
  4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

China scooped 4 titles in Basel, much better than German Open couple of weeks ago. The well-improved Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai produced excellent run along this tournament, the most decisive path for their triumphant happened in last four when they tackled world number one Zheng/Chen in gruelling three games. First ever winning over Chinese sensational young duo certainly boosted confidence in finale and they did it against Jordan/Susanto who're struggling to cope the aggressiveness of Thai pair.

Chen Xiaoxin displayed better performance against teammate Chen Yufei as she looked average and under pressure when faced Indonesian hopeful Fitriani in semifinal. An anticlimax for reigning world junior champion, she couldn't exploit her best and seemed fatigue after losing opening game narrowly, 19-21. The battle of two Chens was rematch of Macau Open GP Gold late last year when Yufei trounced Xiaoxin in two straight-games. Chen/Jia had hard times to overcome Stoeva sisters despite they nailed WD crown, not their excellent form here. The inconsistent Chinese MD Chai/Hong clinched title after fought hard in three games to eliminate Liu C/Zhang N.

Last match maybe the much anticipated final by the crowd, two-time Olympic Champion Lin Dan showed his master-class action to outmaneuver his junior compatriot Shi Yuqi. A similar pattern with All England final, Shi lost tamely here 12-21 / 11-21. A positive note for Yuqi who may still hampered by ankle injury, he only succumbed to great badminton players, Lee Chong Wei & Lin Dan, progressing into last round at back to back tournament still get credit for this China new star.

5. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Lol, all that salt-- do you know what it sounds like when you lose but keep telling people about past achievements, so that you can feel as if you're still winnng?

And strangely enough, it's really the young people with their ego who obsess over history/stats-- actual adults/seniors know what a challenge it is to stay competitive/ relevant, and take growing old in their stride....

#345 Forestal, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  6. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

If it ain't broke, they won't "fix" it

The current format was introduced to encourage longer and more aggressive games to increase badminton's entertainment factor as a spectator sport, and it's was working until China started playing boring/defensive badminton-- hence the suggestions for changing up the format, this, that or the other...

But then the Rest Of The World broke China's dominance in Rio Olympics 2016, and LCW is still playing and winning at 34... Any Peter Gade, Taufik fans want to cry "foul" and let me mine their salt?

But seriously, have you seen the race-to-11 games played at various local league-- it's like amateur hour, no sense of a tournament at all... At least have the sense to suggest a best of 7 in a race to 11 (like in table tennis, which only starts to "swing" in the 4th game) for the professional/international circuit-- do you know how ridiculously light racquets have become in 20 years?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Actually, it was to encourage shorter games. The 7 point x 5 game scoring system was too short. And the old scoring system was 'too long'. I think it's just about right. I don't think you can blame China for the 21x3 format lengthening into 'boring games'. It's a natural evolution of the game for some players. The ladies singles are not playing drawn out matches. Mens doubles is a treat to watch. Mixed doubles is becoming increasingly entertaining.

The next big thing will be specific tournaments catering to only singles or doubles. They occur at the amateur level. I am waiting for the next first tournament that is only singles or only doubles and gives ranking points. You can see the Olympics going this way as not all the finals are played on the same day.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I supposed both Lin Dan and LCW have too much respect for each other not to play the other in a compromised state, neither would want to have undue advantage or disadvantage, if they can help it. I think it also has to do with their overall strategy and mental game as they know each other so well.

9. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Don't get me wrong. I hate all those "war-comments" about LD vs LCW too - who's better and so on. It was just a comment about this very strange outcome. LD owns Shi YuQi at the Swiss Open final like there's no way he could ever have lost against him. But in fact he did. Just right one week before. Especially it was the All England tournament. However. That's all I wanted to say. I'm definitely not here to hate or to troll around or whatever.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Don't be mistaken, I didn't view you that way, your post wasn't grating. I believe the intense rivalry between the two, and I 'd include Chen Long in the mix, is such that none of them would take their meeting lightly and would want to be in generally good or at least acceptable shape to take each other on out of mutual respect and other considerations. Just saying, I trust they know better than anyone else what they are doing and why.

As both Lin Dan and Lee CW are in their twilight years, I like everybody else would just love to see them play each other, no matter the outcome, as it is indeed getting rarer, for every one match they played it's one less opportunity to see them meet again as they near retirement.

11. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member