A Brief Guide to Badminton Shoes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Charlie-SWUK, Feb 18, 2017.

1. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

How would you guys compare the Spenco Cross Trainers to Superfeet insoles?

I chose to go with the Superfeet Orange in all my shoes for the added cushioning and excellent amount of support. I love them and they have worked perfectly for me but the one downside is they are expensive at $50 CAD plus tax a pair.

If the Spencos are drastically better in some way, I could give them a try!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Although I haven't used the Superfeets yet, I am convinced that no insole (basically a chunk of PU and other plastic composites) can be worth 50 CAD. I would suggest you invest those 13 USD and get yourself a pair for comparison. If you still prefer the Superfeets for badminton, the Spencos are definitely good enough to be used in another casual shoe.

3. SpursIndonesia

SpursIndonesia Regular Member

I can attest to that notion, since i use Victor replacement insole my self, and a few other brands as well.

I got Victor VT-XD7 and i simply distaste its thin cushioning & flimsy built. Energymax material they said ? Worth penny of the dollar in my wallet.

Compared to the Lining replacement insole & the yellow, original insole of YY Ultima 87 Pro, it can't hold a candle regarding its cushioning, no contest. The material of the Lining's & YY's is thicker & more bouncy, very2 comfortable in absorbing impact on the court.

If cushioning is number one priority, stay away from those Victor's thin aftermarket insoles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

As said before, my Victor SH-A920s came with the improved VT-XD8 insoles which are a lot better than the XD7:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Absorber pad at the heel, grippy surface structrue at the toe area and even a little arch support. Less cushioning compared to the Spenco Cross Trainers, but overall a lot better than the current Yonex stock insoles.

SpursIndonesia and pcll99 like this.
  5. SpursIndonesia

Nice pair of insoles mate, i did emphasize THIN regarding that Victor aftermarket insole, and it's uselessness if cushioning is the major priority in choosing one.

Is that insole thick enough, with plenty cushioning ? Different base material (yellow colored) than the VT-XD7, right ?

6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    It was actually the XD8 that I tried, and found to be somewhat lacking. I found that with the XD8 I was more prone to shin pain/shin splints than with other insoles. It should be noted that the Li Ning insole I used did not have blue on the underside.

[​IMG]

SpursIndonesia likes this.
  7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The cushioning of the yellow colored material is okay, but nothing special compared to other stock insoles. I found the pad under the heel to offer noticeable extra cushioning. But let's face it - all the stock insoles that you currently get even with the higher end shoes from Yonex and Victor (haven't tried Li-Ning or Mizuno shoes yet) are designed for one purpose only: To be as cheap as possible. It only takes a couple of hours usage to compress the material e.g. under the big toe to only cardboard-ish thinckness. If you want a serious upgrade regarding support and/or cushioning, there is no way around specially designed insoles from Spenco, Superfeet or comparable.

8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Stock insoles in the comfort tour are fine for me, but I'm quite light. Even after deliberately putting on weight I'm under 70kg. That sort of speaks about how poorly the xd8 performed when someone as light as me has issues.

Li Ning stock insoles aren't great. They're reasonably thick but they lack good spongey qualities. Compared with say yy, they're more evenly cushioned, with the quality of cushioning being less under the arch but better under the toe.

I use ac192ex in my secondary shoes, and I don't notice a marked improvement over the comfort tour insoles.

9. esppy

esppy Regular Member

You are using a CFWM or CFT now? I notice you have differing stands on them or I am mixed up lol.

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Comfort wide mid, my frustration comes from the fact I had to order them from a retailer in Japan as yonex won't sell them here.

11. SpursIndonesia

I got a very flat arch feet, so flat that it will make those flat earth guys proud, lol. So, the right choice for aftermarket insole is one that is also quite flat, without much arch support, right ?

DanNguyen and LenaicM like this.
  12. ErikaT

ErikaT Regular Member

TRADE FINANCE
    Hi

This is so far the best post on the badminton shoes.
    I am just started learning badminton for the past 3 months and i decided to buy a Yonex shoes. However, I see that only the mid-high or high end shoes are really worth the money; Anything ranging SGD40 to SGD90 dont have a big difference in terms of performance.

Any advises from anyone?

Regards

13. Porky

Porky Regular Member

For mid-range price shoes, mizuno is a better choice in terms of durability and comfort...yonex mid-range and below shoes spoils way to easy