Medical timeout and gamesmanship

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Justin L, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Since you mentioned Saina nehwal, i must give some examples to you. Before giving that, i have to say that You are bringing all the legitimate injuries which chinese players attained while playing. But i wanna give you one example where a chinese player really faked injury to delay the game and won the match.

Dubai Superseries finals WS group matches which involved Sun Yu vs carolina marin.

Carolina marin saved 7 match points and won one more point to get game point . Sun yu kept asking umpire for time out . But srilankan umpire did not allow her to do so. Immediately, she showed her ankle and said that she could not walk and asked for doctor. After the medical time out, she simply came and smash all the way and won the match. Definitely, that time out did break the momentum carolina marin built. I think Yoji was mentioning some of the examples where chinese players fake it. But clearly in this example, Sun yu clearly faked it.

Swedebadminton and drmchsraj like this.
  2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Good example. Would be better if the video is available.

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

[QUOTE="Cheung, post: 25439

@pjswift, see how one track the mind the mind is? We need better statistical evidence. Yes, there are more medical timeouts but yet historically, more Chinese players get through to the later rounds. So by pure time on court, you are more likely to greater number of incidents by Chinese players. Whether this is proportionately greater than other countries, I don't know.

However, what I do think is Yoji needs to present better statistical evidence to back up his/her blanket statement and the inference made on their character.[/QUOTE]

Yoji comes across as having exceptional observational skills, observed courtside, right where the action is, which armchair critics cannot see.
    In the case of this CHN WD, it s 2 out of 2, at crucial stage of play. There s no need for statistical evidence here, Yoji is just highlighting some unusual behaviour unique to this WD. We just have to monitor their future timeout occurrences. If it s still regular, someone should write to BWF to notify the umpires of this WD s timeout habit. So they can be asked if they wish to retire or play on in the match.
    On a separate note, I have to say CQC has this comical expression of verbal exuberance after winning a rally and parading around her side of the court. That s a 10s celebration (and play is supposed to be continuous) and it s as many times as she feels like celebrating a point won. Granted she s still young but it s regular unique instantaneous timeout within a match without having to get umpire s permission.

But I agree with you, Yoji has to be respectful of other nationalities in using abbreviation. If in doubt, check out Clely s tournament thread opener, where the gold standard for nationality abbreviation is shown.
    So, JPN for Japan or Japanese, INA for Indonesia, etc. if in greater doubt, don t abbreviate.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

Here, Nozomi saves a similar number of match points. Carolina deliberately walks off court without umpire's permission, deleiberately ignores umpire, deliberately gets herself a card to break Nozomi's rhythm, STILL walks off court and walks away with the win. A similar type of gamesmanship? :) Yet hardly mentioned....

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Walkover statistics was initiated and painstakingly researched by limsy, a currently dormant BC member. Badzine borrowed from his work without giving due credit. I can tell you Badzine does not have the resources to research to that extent on their own. It s a lot of work and you have to know what and where to look for the data and how to compute and analyse. Give limsy due credit, if you must.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

My point is for that Olympic match is people were quick to prejudge before knowing the true diagnosis saying it was a 'China' tactic of disruption. To be fair, for that particular incident, one or two of those forum members later admitted they got it wrong (out of many).

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Actually, I was not aware it was limsy's work until you told me. I cannot give credit if I didn't know that beforehand...

I can believe Badzine doesn't have the expertise. I have done a fair amount of data collection and statisical analysis myself in non-badminton discipines.

8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

oops sorry ,i didnt know that word is bad or culturally sensitive.

well, i can only say what marin did is blatant and she got what she deserved, yellow card for that. at least, she didnt act like she is injured and wasting 5 minutes or more on the court. the worst thing is not the umpire doesnt allow toweling and brandished yellow card. the worst thing is the umpire allow to towel down on the act of needing medical timeout when the purpose is one likely injured?

Then again, its not cqc jyf did it. huang dongping and liyinhui numerous times before as well. must be something wrong with latest generation of womens doubles chinese youngster ever since they change the coach? tactics or what?

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Exactly. How about uploading the Sun Yu /Marin match moment.

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Marin's case above was delaying and she was punished with a yellow card.

11. Baddyforall

In fact, that match was funny to watch. Sun yu kept asking for time out and got yellow card to do so. After completion, marin even gone for a verbal duel with Chen Jin.
    Marin" she deliberately delays the game. And you too know that".

Chen Jin " not at all. I know that"
    Even GC was astonished with this duel.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

Cheung likes this.
  12. Baddyforall

I am writing this from mobile. It's tedious to paste the link. Please somebody upload that match. It's in YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

13. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Lots of hateful people in this forum.

14. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Indeed, and the moment some salt is sprinkled, Voila. The thread is flooded.
    And trust me most of them are just shere childish banter, either bashing or butt-hurt defending

gelopisan likes this.
  15. jma97

jma97 Regular Member

something negative about china does not = hateful! they were just making an observation (an observation that apparently has been made before) and it's not even targeted at one nation - it's become a conversation about multiple players from multiple nations...?

16. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Yup. Not much like us who love the sport and athletes regardless of their nationality.

nilesh123 likes this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

How do you know when even the doctor is not sure ? Sun Yu 'faked' it because she won, if she lost, it's fine. Can you quote examples of other nation's players who 'faked' injuries based on your super eyes that doctors would envy and wish to have?

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What are the tournament officials for, the BWF rules and regulations, and the fact that the match was played in full view of the public and shown on TV ? You seem to think CHN players are not born of parents who don't take pride in their children achieving success with honour and dignity for the glory of the nation? D you think the CHN people will be proud of that ? I can assure you they are very vocal and berate their own kind for any misdemeanour, go check the Internet fora and microblogs.

Suddenly Marin's ourtbursts on and off court become acceptable to you , all because on the other side is a Chinese.

#38 Justin L, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    drmchsraj likes this.
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

He went far beyond something negative or fair comment.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Already in sports, there is so much hate, imagine in politics ? All for what, who benefits, whose interests does it serve ?