Li Xuerui ( 李雪芮 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by cobalt, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oh dear, now even her Sudirman Cup appearance is uncertain. A few months ago, I was happily thinking she's undergoing intensive training and looked forward to her return.

That's why professional athletes must never take any injury lightly, esp a nagging or accumulated minor ones. Even medical doctors and MRI scans cannot be too sure of the breaking point unless it's obvious; I suppose those near borderline cases are hard to spot.

#1081 Justin L, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Don't expect too much of her returning soon.
    Sun Yu, HBJ and Chen Yufei will help team to retain the title.

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Has her injury been really that bad? I mean, she's been away for almost a year now. I never had an ACL rupture but normally the recovery takes 6 months and I'm sure she gets the best possible treatment.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I don't know who the new head coach going to be, but Chen Jin will be gone in a few months, possibly before Glasgow.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

8 months now.

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Is she back in training?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Professional football male players yes, but for female badminton players? I don't think the data is available. And there are the hand skills to train up, less financial incentive than football, perhaps athlete's motivation issues. It's an unknown area.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes

9. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

I had one in the past, unfortunately. And from what I've expierienced, it should be possible for a professional player to recover within 6 - 8 months. For me, it took a year and more to come back (stronger). But a widely supported professional player whose only focus is their sport will definitely recover waaay faster than the normal folk.
    It's not that the professionals get better medicine or better surgery options, but they have the whole working day to do their exercises (physiotherapy). They do not only have much more time, they kinda have to do recover as soon as possible, since it's part of their duty and their job. So they are kinda obligated to recover faster which results in higher frequence and higher focus on the exercises. And to recover as fast as possible, the only way is exercises, exercises and again exercises...

I guess it's lack of motivation from LXR.

P.S. Not only missing her appearance. WYH and WSX should have stayed for a year or more at least :(

kelana and Rob3rt like this.
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, with Li Xuerui injured and out of action for so long as well as both Wang Yihan and Wang Shixian suddenly choosing to retire immediately after Rio'16, CHN WS is abruptly left in limbo.:(

Fully agree that the two Wangs should at least stay on for a year or so until the younger generation is able to take over, thus ensuring a smooth transition.

kelana likes this.
  11. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Based from those pics, she don't look out of shape at all... which is a good sign.

12. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

While we here worry for her, she goes to Chongqing to play cherry picking with troubled kids [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You know, I am actually beginning to like what I'm seeing of Li Xuerui - how's she is keeping herself busy during her long rehabilitation period - what modelling, cherry picking with left-behind kids in Chongqing, her hometown, and helping disadvantaged kids, a charity event.

Very good for her mental and emotional well-being, and nourishing to her spirit, enables her to grow and mature as a person. Much better than what she once said when asked what she usually does after training, 'Eat and sleep.That's all'.

I look forward to her comeback, a different person leading a happy, well balanced life while chasing her dreams in badminton.

#1093 Justin L, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  14. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Glad that she enjoys life and offers hands to ppl who needed it. Just don't get herself too comfortable in her idle situation atm.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I believe she has no other option than to go back to badminton and do what she does best. First, she has no high academic qualification. Second, years ago, she didn't join her ex-teammate, Wang Xiaoli, who went into business opening Sichuan hotpot restaurant that presumably was doing well.

So, what else can she do at age 25 with no other skills or work experience apart from playing professional badminton ? As her career and future are at stake, she must make a successful comeback in badminton; if not, she may have to consider becoming a schoolteacher which was her preferred profession had she not taken up badminton, as she once revealed during an interview, iirc.

16. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Hope you're right she doesn't have much choice, though she can coaching like Wang Lin does.
    What I dislike about her current condition is she sits idle too long- 8months that can make one lost motivation.
    Maybe I'm too pessimistic, maybe she will not let TTY roaming the world alone, so she will comeback as strong as ever?

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

She hasn't been idling about. As I've posted earlier, she was back to China just in time to celebrate Lunar New year in Feb with her family (at Chongqing, her hometown, I supposed) for a few days, then flew to Beijing to resume training at CBA HQ but didn't join the rest of the national team at Lingsui, Hainan, for the traditional closed-door winter training as the coaches felt she's not ready for it yet.

I believe if she recovers well, she is good for another 5 years or so. It'll be such a shame if she were to quit professional badminton like that.

CHN WS is in dire straits at the moment, Li Xuerui's successful return is just what is needed to lift it out of its doldrums. Coaching job can come later after future retirement.

#1097 Justin L, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    kelana likes this.
  18. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Yes I know that, I followed her activities closely. What I meant is she had not participate to any tourney for months.

19. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Hi Accordaz,
    Does age plays a part? will a 15 year old recover/heal faster than a 25 yr old? Is it true that the replacement tendon is far stronger than the god given original tendon. My Dr says that the new replaced tendon is stronger as they did double/triple loop...and is definitely stronger. Is there any truth to this?

Apart from Li Xerui, is there any other professional badminton came back to the sport with this kind of injury? Am afraid it could be career ending - eg Indon player, Manuputty (I think) and Rumbaka.....don't think they are playing anymore and they are not young anymore if I am not mistaken...above 25 yrs old.

So if you do have an ACL at a young age, like 15 yrs, what are the chances of coming back?

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A player can always return, whether it is successful is a totally different issue and scaling that bridge is a huge undertaking.

Idle? What should she be doing?