Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Nothing yet. Surely, both new head coaches will be pressed for names of the new individual event coaches. We should know soon.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Upon closer reading, I'm not so sure as the term 主教练 not 总教练 which I tend to understand mean 'Main or Chief Cach' and 'Head Coach' respectively. That is in place of a single Head Coach, CBA now have two Chief Coaches, Xia Xuanze for Singles, and Zhang Jun for Doubles whilst Wang Wei takes charge of the second team and juniors group.

This piece of news is no different from what pcll99 posted earlier. I'll await further development. I still think there has to be a person overall in-charge of CBA. Just my own opinion.

I believe this arrangement is a temporary measure until top management finds the most suitable candidate for Head Coach for the long-term as it's never good to have frequent changes of HC at short intervals, too disruptive, and sufficient time is needed for the implementation of any significant changes to show the intended results. My 2 cents.

#1102 Justin L, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  3. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

No more head coach. Xia will take care of singles both in WS and MS. Zhang Jun all doubles women+men. Tian Bingyi and Zhong Bo are to become consultants.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I understand, but what is there to stop CBA from appointing a Head Coach in the future ? Have they amended the constitution to stipulate doing way with HC permanently? I don't think so.

Let the future tell. Somehow I sense there will be situations arising where a major decision has to be made affecting the whole National Team or CBA,including the coaching team and support staff, and it happens the three chief coaches don't see eye to eye, and top management feels they are not in the best position for lack of sufficient knowledge in badminton and experience to make a well informed or most discerning decision of far-reaching import. Just saying.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Based on the above, I am now 100% certain.

LYB will become the retired emperor, ruling from behind the scene.

7. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

LYB is part of China's Olympics commitee which job is preparation in management, training, scientific research and healthcare.
    Much more prestigious than HC of the CBA.

kelana likes this.
  8. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

CBA cant do that (appointing a HC) they are under the table tennis management center. Important thingy should thru TT top management, no?

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I see it as the same old folks carrying on Li Yingbo's legacy, that's all.

If I were LYB or the Chief Coaches and Consultants, better not rule from behind, why ? If anything goes seriously wrong, who is to blame or take responsibility for it, not LYB who can deny any involvement. Besides, why would LYB want to have such a 'power base', any material benefits for him ? None I can think of. If CHN badminton turns around and rise to dominance again, well and good but should it continue to struggle in difficulty for some time, can CBA put the blame on LYB when he is supposedly out of the picture?

Like I said, CBA is a sport organization, not a political one where power struggle is the norm. Office politics is not what I have in mind. In short, the appointees have better work in concert with camaraderie and single-mindedness to resolve CHN badminton's most immediate problems and help it grow from strength to strength into the future.

11. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

12. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    yes, exact same name as the Xiaomi founder.... 雷军 ..

[​IMG]

i am not sure if this new guy is also a basketball coach like his predecessors before him..

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

CBA like the CTTA both come under the Table Tennis and Badminton Center of China whose management can appoint the Head Coach for CBA.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, Li Yongbo had better do his new job well as one of the four or five advisers/consultants to the China Olympics Experts Committee, a new stage in his career, a higher post, a promotion in name.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    other than Zhang Jun and XXZ, the Sports Ministry also considered Zhao JH and Dong Jiong.

http://sports.qq.com/a/20170427/039800.htm

I think the article is implying that there will be no head coach and deputy head coaches from now till Tokyo 2020.

kelana likes this.
  18. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Yup, up to a point this shouldn't be an issue. It's good since they are both pretty young, but I'm still curious who the other coaches are (please no Chen Jin...)

19. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Now that the head coaches have been settled lets hope they can work as a team and trust each other for the sake of the game in China. It would be good if a team is set up to track a player or pair with ranking points given for their performance in all events they have taken part in. This will make the selection progress easier for the head coaches and will reduce mistakes in selection, as in the YY case. The top five ranked pairs are considered for the majors and final selection is given to the head coach who can alter the selection if he thinks there is someone potentially better as in LXR's case in the London OG.
    WW, the junior head coach plays a very important role. It is hoped that he will put in place a scouting group moving around the provinces identifying young players with talent and bringing them together for centralised training. A personal tracking system for the performance of each junior also needs to be established. If new LDs TH, PG and LCWs are discovered more exciting badminton is forthcoming!!
    There are so many other matters to be done and I wish the old system of training juniors mainly at home will be replaced as its too inclusive. My best wishes to the new appointees and please work together, If this new team can improve and implement good changes to the system everything will fall in place. Banish arrogance,pride and egos for the sake of badminton in China.
    My two cents worth.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That seems to be the case. The article states the reasons for not having a Head Coach, 1) for the time being it's difficult for any one person to completely assume the role and gain the full confidence of the entire team in terms of ability, human relations and other aspects, and 2) the high degree of centralized power in the hands of the Head Coach had previously given rise to some controversies; therefore for the sake of making better preparations towards the Tokyo Olympics, the National Sports Ministry decided for now to do away with the Head Coach position.

The article went on to say that, without a HC, the advantage is that each of the coaching team can better carry out their respective duties. Xia Xuanze only needs to take charge of MS and WS well whilst Zhang Jun does the same for MD, WD and XD, with both of them leading the national team and performing their roles with professionalism and focus, But without a HC, there may be possibility of abuse or malpractice, such as laying out overall plans for the whole team and making announcements to the public, for which the two singles and doubles chief coaches have to cooperate and consult with each other better.