Yonex BG AeroBite

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by BengGuan, Jun 17, 2016.

1. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Same thoughts as you. BG80@30lbs wouldn't sound anywhere near what the Swiss Open sounds were.
    Hell even 34lbs wouldn't get his ping.

shreyas666 likes this.
  2. esppy

esppy Regular Member

I'm right now inclined to believe the 0.61 crosses contributed to his ping... but I can't say for sure...

shreyas666 likes this.
  3. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    Thin strings- sharp pings
    Thick strings-boom.
    Hybrid - middlish? I think muted-damp response considering my experience with toalson synchro-hybrid.

4. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Well, Aerobite is a hybrid between thin and very thin. I reckon the pings to be pretty high.
    Unfortunately none of my string pushers offer the string yet. And I'm to cheap to purchase a set from the rip-off shops selling them at USD $9-10 per set...

Cheers,
    FB

5. shreyas666

None of my stringers are touching this string. It took a lot of coaxing and coercing on my part with toalson, but they aren't touching aerobite. :(

6. esppy

esppy Regular Member

On my local side, I know that while most shops offer, they are reluctant to recommend it due to them being lazy asswipes and wanting to do 2 knots more often than 4, citing "very difficult to string" aka lingo for "unable to pre-weave one piece fast and then tension at the end and its done!" I have heard before one shop struggling to string the AB due to not knowing how as he always did 2 knots, then manual. Took him a good 45 mins to figure out how.

Aerobite's 2 strings makes them go the (hard) and only way to do 2 piece 4knots, hence.... hahahaha.

7. shreyas666

No serious stringers in INDIA,
    They won't do string jobs above 22lbs.
    I don't mind 2knot patterns, it's good enough but they don't know 4knot, haribito therefore can't get MX JJS/80 strung properly, had to sell it :(. When they do string, they cut into strings too often, strings don't even last that long :(.

Stein_r likes this.
  8. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I've used this string a number of times and really like it. It's easy to string providing care is taken with clamp pressure. i tend to use the spring flying clamps for the Aerosonic cross strings as it makes stringing so much easier.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

9. shreyas666

Hey Paul,
    I once got a hybrid of
    62fire and 69fire ashaway!
    It was explosive in my ashaway phantom x speed, was customed stringed for me from the person I got. It was like hot like napalm. Nothing like it!

10. shreyas666

Nozomi okuhara Malaysian open, newest player to enter the aerobite club.
    She is wearing Yonex clothing though, mizuno shoes and a mizuno racket are all there.

11. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Has been using AeroBite since Japan Open 2016.

Mizuno shoes because employee of UniSys, and Mizuno racquet because she has a personal sponsorship (ie. Hayakawa)

[​IMG]

I guess she took a rest or fizzled out in the later months of 2016 that's why you just noticed... can't be blamed though. :)

12. shreyas666

Meh! When I was an employee of Unisys, they didn't give me a mizuno. Sue them?

13. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I've been anti the concept, but I'm always open to trying things. I've strung my 50 e tune with aerobite at 11.5kg and will report back.

Edit: to those that think the main is bg85, it's not. It's either a thicker 66um or a thinner 80p. It's very rubbery.

Saru, xiaoqiao and shreyas666 like this.
  14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Ok, I've used it for 3 sessions at this point, my comments are:
    1) I don't think the string is muted, but the sound it produces is not consistent.
    2) As someone that strings 1 piece, and often with a completely different pattern to retail recommendations, this stuff was really, really easy to string.
    3) Durability isn't too bad, I've noticed some of the coating fade a little on the mains.
    4) It remains fairly easy to produce power with, in spite of the thicker main. I had no issues with distance.
    5) Control is substantially better than aerosonic on its own.

Overall...
    It still loses out to me against #1. The repulsion and control are pretty good, but they're not the superb levels of my golden string. The concept addressed the key problem with AS, and that's the string being too slippery. Net, mid, and rear court were fine. I'm not convinced whatsoever about their faster drop advertising.

It's a reasonable string and one of the better from Yonex overall, if you stack it against BG 65 or what have you, Aerobite wins. I would ultimately say this string is more of a replacement for 66UM than anything else; it feels similar, it plays similar, but it doesn't go to mush instantly.

That said, this stuff is HELL EXPENSIVE. It's double the cost of #1, it doesn't come on reels, so on and so forth.

I've found the string very usable, and would likely choose it over BG 66UM in future as it has that bit more longevity. It's not a BG 80 replacement really, it's not as solid as BG80, but that's a high bar to hit anyway. I guess the extra cost offsets the restring requirements of 66UM?

So yeah, it does fix one problem, the marketing is still a bit mythical, it's expensive, and it doesn't take my top spot.

15. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Right, so here's my consensus:
    I think the red main is red for a reason. People often report red strings feeling rubbery or numb. Pretty sure people have said 66UM is the worst colour etc. but I think that in this case it ends up being a tactical choice for Yonex.

It retains tension and lasts longer than 66UM.

Feel is similar to usable 66UM (before it goes dead as hell), the red string makes it feel less direct than pure AS, but the tradeoff is worth it for the extra grip to slice.

The AS activates well, so you still get strong hits.

Hitting area is generous and easy, where strings like No.1 and BG80 feel rubbish outside of the sweetspot, this is actually not too bad.

It's growing on me, but the price is still really prohibitive. For anyone thinking of DIYing a setup, I think you'll struggle to emulate Aerobite. You need a good grippy string on the mains, and a powerful string on the cross. Mixing BG65Ti with 66UM will prove very pointless, and you'll find that a pure setup will work better. I think strings like BG80 and 85 will EAT other strings, vectrans just do that.

I think the main is probably closest to BG80P. Hopefully it'll come on reels eventually. I think the red string on its own would suck badly, so it really needs that AS cross, and may be why we don't have the aerobite string available on its own (because it would just suck).

I stand by it replacing 66UM, and as you won't need to restring every 3 hours, this makes it a very viable replacement.

16. shreyas666

Zy62-zy69/67, very fiery combo. Very large sweet spot. Very pingy!
    I don't know if 67 is ovalish and Vectran. But combo is good.
    Most important thing, very minimal movement in strings which plagues zymax strings.

17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Someone else suggested a string with 69F main, but I don't think it'd be worth it. You're not gaining anything texture wise, you're just getting a tiny increase in surface area.

However, I do think that it's possible the string bed might feel more even.
    People often comment saying that thin strings feel tighter than thick strings, so, if you do a thin string on the cross at the same tension, it might 'feel' like a +2 on the cross? Try adding +2 on the cross with pure 62F, and see if that gives you better feeling.

18. shreyas666

Zystrings are pretty tension retentive but dull, zy62 is awesome as it has that perfect combo of power and control and durability is less. Combo retains all the pros and adds to that durability. Bed feels livelier, can't say about feel but it was certainly harder than zy69f. Pings were sharp and loud. Combo again works above 26lbs, below that it feels dull, just like any other zymax.
    Hybrids aren't working on principle of superposition, but on zymax strings they are, meaning with other combos as people have reported the new string had its own character and not in a good way, I feel zymax combo retained all its parental properties.
    Very inclined to try combo of zy62-zy67 but very few stringers would touch hybrids.
    Hybrids won't work well with ovalish strings, they will cut into other string very easily or will be cut into.
    Is zy67 ovalish as most .67-.68 strings are?

19. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I'm not sure, are we talking normal or F by the way? Maybe someone else can provide more info. I've only used 69F and 62F a couple times.

20. shreyas666