String length for 2 piece?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Charlie-SWUK, May 4, 2017.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I don't do 2 piece generally, did it first with Aerobite.
    Aerobite gives you 5.5m of red string for the mains, and 5m of aerosonic for the crosses.
    5m for the crosses was plenty.

I want to try a hybrid with BG80 and Li Ning No.1, and am buying 2 packs of each to test this. This is not off of a reel.
    All of the videos I've seen suggest, with a 10m length, adding some extra length to the mains and doing like 5.3m main and 4.7 cross.

However, if I do it this way I'll have:
    1 5.3m set of BG80 and 1 4.7m set, the 4.7m set would be.. useless to me. It wouldn't be long enough to do another set of mains.

I'm stringing a normal head-size 76 hole, with a Penta Premium 3600 dropweight.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

With a crank or electric machine it should be no problem to cut your 10 m in half.
    Not sure how much string you need to reach the gripper with your dropweight. My guess is that you'll be fine.

(worst case scenario, you could link a short end to a piece of scrap string with a starting clamp in order to make length to the gripper.)

3. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Damn I have RKEP 70Ti on a reel, but no empty 76 hole frame to try it. I could cut my Ashaway's strings but I also don't have anything else to put in it... hmm.

4. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Yonex 10m packs contain way more string than you need. Usually around 10.4 m. Easily can pull 2 mains from a pack. I use about 5.2 m when cutting from a reel for 2 piece mains and always have enough to pull the last string without extension.

#4 stradrider, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  5. Chan1011

Chan1011 Regular Member

You could just cut both in half, and for the last pulls you can use a starting clamp with scrap string attached to extend if it can't reach the gripper.

Mind you this will only work, if the string can exit the grommet :p

[​IMG]

6. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    in most caes, I use 4.5m for mains. Cut 4.6 to be safe. Compact frames use slightly less.

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    As measuring in metres is not always practical, I tend to measure in racquet lengths which is more convenient. Usually 13.5 to 13.75 times the length of a racquet (675 or 665mm) is enough for a one piece restring. The crosses tend to use a little more string. If you're doing 2 piece, I would say around 7 to 7.5 racquet lengths would be needed (for the extra knot) which is about 4.7-5m. Some racquets might actually require more. I have strung a couple of Wilson and Carlton racquets that needed another foot of string to be comfortable.

8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    This is why I specified a normal 76 hole ;)

Measuring in meters is easy, the 3600 has a ruler thing on it.

So 5m should be enough, right I'll just cut it straight in half then, easy peasy.

Fidget likes this.