TEAMS ‘GOING GOLD’ - SUDIRMAN CUP 2017

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by cxytdn, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    IMO, there were a few problems with the name abbreviations. Firstly, the sheer number in one post. At first glance, it is definitely not easy to read. Secondly, the link provided was not in English and as I have mentioned very recently, not all forum members are bilingual. Thirdly, calling a forum member who has asked for clarification a 'spoiled brat' raises some eyebrows in terms of forum etiquette.

IMO, as Justin says, if the name is written in full and then the abbreviations, it is pretty clear. Just to point out, Chinese names in the romanised form have got to be the shortest amongst the world anyway.

j4ckie likes this.
  2. thevileking

thevileking Regular Member

We will dominate in MD and XD, especially with Kevin/Gideon, and Jordan/Susanto

3. thevileking

thevileking Regular Member

Indonesia's singles aren't that great tho...our WS is terrible and our MS is okay compared to the likes of Japan, Korea, and China

4. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

To be fair, Post#114 is a very special case where the poster wanted to share the late breaking information quickly. A post with so many abbreviations would not be well received in general. Most readers would simply not bother to decipher those abbreviations but wait for a fuller post.

Badminton players are from all around the world. Their names can be quite strange and hard to remember for people from other parts of the world. Therefore, using abbreviations judiciously is not only convenient to the poster but can also be convenient to the readers as well. Even the relatively short Chinese names are not that easy to translate accurately to their Latin (PinYin) equivalents which, in turn, are not easily understood by Chinese readers.

I concur with Justin's idea that in general, state the full names before using abbreviations. Some other random suggestions:
    • for a long post (presumably the poster invested a lot of time anyway), use full spellings (full or part of the name) throughout
    • during active exchanges where abbreviations are well understood, follow up with the same abbreviations
    • in a player's thread, okay to use that player's abbreviation but identify other players' full names first

5. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Why HS and Maheswari not included?

6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yup, a weak line-up by three-time winner Korea, they will give exposure to young players in team event => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...d=9D5AE85E-5686-4389-95E6-D700293D2329&cid=15

Male players (8) : Son Wan Ho, Lee Dong Keun, Jeon Hyeok Jin, Seo Seung Jae, Choi Sol Gyu, Kim Duk Young, Kim Won Ho, Park Kyung Hoon

Female players (8) : Sung Ji Hyun, Lee Jang Mi, Kim Ga Eun, Chang Ye Na, Lee So Hee, Jung Kyung Eun, Kim Ha Na, Chae Yoo Jung.

Yoo Yeon Seong, Kim Gi Jung, Shin Seung Chan and Kim Jae Hwan are excluded from the roster.

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Hendra Setiawan isn't part of national team anymore, he's independent player while Nitya K. Maheswari is still in recovery process post knee surgery last December.

GingerCorslette likes this.
  8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Gideon/Sukamuljo yes but not sure about mixed doubles, Jordan/Susanto didn't show inspiring performance lately.

9. Master

Master Regular Member

Page one updated!

Justin L and Maurice MJC like this.
  10. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Very interesting match-up! Every group is pretty interesting, we can expect close contest from the group stage.

11. jma97

jma97 Regular Member

the head coach didn't say it specific to this event, i think he meant overall that they're not expecting a lot (wins at super series, etc) as they're rebuilding and finding new partners, etc etc. except for WD.

it is an ongoing process and maybe they're focusing on giving the youngsters experience instead of trying to win it this time i mean yoo & kim gi jung being excluded does not make for a strong men's team

a weaker men's team affects both XD & MD's so it's going to be hard to beat stronger teams, they're gonna be relying on their WD's and MS/WS...

so korea isn't exactly as balanced as they usually are

12. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Thanks @Master . Your precious work really helps a lot of people. Crystal clear list with full names of the players especially Chinese names.
    Even I appreciate @gelopsian for his work.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

13. John I'm

John I'm Regular Member

Korea doesn't seems to be a medal contender with inexperienced doubles players and unreliable singles players.

Sent from my 1201 using Tapatalk

14. John I'm

John I'm Regular Member

Thailand and Indian teams would beat Korea with this team lineup.

Sent from my 1201 using Tapatalk

15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    hmmm... to me denmark & japan appear to be the most dangerous.

16. Master

Master Regular Member

Do you know why Shin Seung Chan also excluded?

About giving the youngsters experience, this question will appear: "Why they're not sending the surprising qualifiers through final at BAC 2017, Kim Hye Rin/Yoo Hae Won ?"

Some other questions still remain for not sending their capable players/pairs.

17. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Not so sure about that. WS and MS are not weak for KOR. Specially MS, Son can beat all THAI and IND MS. For WS, not so easy for Sung, but not impossible, she is so reliable.
    For doubles, even if the stars of recent years retired, the new ones are no pushovers, I don't see THAI or IND winning them.

18. jma97

jma97 Regular Member

:)
    it can only be injury or some other reason right? cause jung kyung eun is still listed? they could've had both of them stay home and have kim hye rin/yoo hae won replace them..

don't think they really have much choice when it comes to the men's team.. kim jae hwan is probably out cause of his hand surgery and idk about yoo/kim gi jung (other than them their options are pretty dry so why not throw in various combinations and see what happens)

it'll be good experience for the youngin's either way which is what i think they're looking to get out of it so :):)

19. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Korea's doubles lineup is quite weak, mostly because of the retiring great players like LYD, SBC and such.
    They mostly need to give the KOR juniors some experience or they will get nowhere in the future.

20. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Jordan/Susanto has lost many times to THA XD, and especially China 's top 2 XD.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Maurice MJC likes this.