TOTAL BWF SUDIRMAN Cup 2017 : FINAL (28th May)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 27, 2017.

1. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

In terms of ushering in the next generation of players, KBA are clearly ahead of CBA who called in all the old OG/WC warriors and still couldn't get it done...

Cheung likes this.
  2. Desireless

SJH played at least as many WS matches, including back to back matches against the WS WR#1 that went to 3 games. And she still showed up for duty in the final, and won.

SWH should be ashamed, as a man.

3. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Physical aspect of MS is not the same as WS. It's more tiring. The selection of JHJ I would presume is to give him experience; if he was indeed tired, SWH playing either LD or CL would yield the same result anyway. Korea surely has the future in mind.

Hopefully this tournament will give SJH confidence too. Hope she makes it far on WC considering TTY is not playing.

4. Desireless

Yes the physical aspects of MS and WS are different, but I think you have the characteristics reversed.

In grand slam tennis, men play best of 5 set matches, and women play best of 3, to reflect the difference in physical stamina between genders. In badminton, 3 games is considered the maximum extent of a MS player's capability, but WS must play the exact same match parameters as males.

On top of that, WS players generally do not have the smashing power of their male counterparts, and as such many more smashes are returned, and rallies tend to include much more clearing, lifting and movement pressure shots which results in extended periods of running to score a single point.

Therefore I think that SJH in fact worked harder over the course of the tournament, and maintain that SWH should be ashamed of his fitness level as a man.

#344 Desireless, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Also saw Kim Ha Na on the podium.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Team event.... You do what your coaches instruct you to do as well as accept their decisions for the team. Nothing about shame.

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

When one looks back, i think Korea had relatively easy draw.

I mean Taipei in group stage, Taipei in QF, Thailand in SF. Hardly any mental drainage is spent there. What if they have played or drawned tougher country in QF, like Japan, Denmark, or China, it will surely be different stories. One head to head against another country does not mean they will beat another country.

Off course, the rest is history :)

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

And the Koreans have last laugh. Being underdog sometimes is blessing in disguise while China has more pressure as defending champion and strong favourite. Winning over Japan in very tough and gruelling semifinal made China squad was too excited and forgot they need one more round to defend Sudirman Cup, maybe they underestimate Korea little bit and overconfidence as they regarded Japan is toughest foe here.

I notice that Korea is always solid and dangerous in team event despite only few of their players shine in individual competition including World Championships.

9. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

I think it is not healthy for a team manager to sit in the position for too long. Once got complacent, and rely just on proven players, this is what happen.

china has no strong new players. i cannot believe they will face this situation. just they were not given that opportunity

10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it is only equal, quantitatively, in the amount of time spent on the court, not the human-equivalent energy (H-e) expended. you cannot compare the two. it is an absolute fact playing 3 games against tai tzu ying is much easier than against chen long. if all you are basing it on is the time spent on the court, well then, the women should be able to play singles against the men. (where do you think tai tzu ying would rank in men's singles even if the men did not smash?)

nor are the women chasing and retrieving at the speed of men's singles rally, or jumping as much, or carrying around the weight of more body/muscle mass.

comparing women to men physically is not apples-to-apples. you'd have a logical argument if sung j-h played the same opponents as son w-h, and then was less tired than son w-h afterwards.

have you ever been to a professional team practice? there's a reason women spar against men.

Justin L likes this.
  11. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Moderators, if I opened my reply with "Desireless, are you brainless too?" would that be inappropriate? If so, how about the absurd statement at the end of his post?

This is a team event. SJH did her part, even in losing to Tai SY, as most certainly did Son WH in his incredulously tight and hard fought victories (which helped earn Korea's place in the finals). If he was too burnt to compete, or as the commentators suspected was injured, then he did the honest and honourable thing to advise the coaching staff accordingly, rather than to keep it hidden (by pride or other reasoning). Son WH has already proved that he can compete with the best, despite his lackings in physique or talent with the likes of LCW or LD or Chen Long. And if you watch Jeon Hyuk Jin's game vs Chen Long, he showed that he was becoming "a man" as you would put it by his competence on court on the senior circuit, and no longer the boy that was trying to play amongst men, as he looked in the past. Steen noted the clear improvement, and I think it was significantly more in degree than he stated.

Desireless, you have clearly not been a coach (or at least I hope not), and if you are a player (who trains and competes) then I hope you can learn to put the team ahead of you.

Justin L likes this.
  12. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Lol, such an interesting usage of words. And what a sexists comment to make :D SJH is one of the fittest players on the circuit (overall) she's in every tourney and atleast in every QF if not SF, plus since the departure of BYJ, Korea has yet to find a second option. She had no option but to play all of f'em anyway. Indeed commendable how she kept her game at the her level if not improved.
    SWH on the other hand, stood no chance against LD/CL, don't get me wrong he has proved his mettle before and no doubt on his potentials, but he wasn't the same in this tourney, needless to mention his marathon against CTC was gruesome, in fact young Phetradeb took of a set. Better choose other player and avoid any physical discomfort for their brightest player. Esp when the conclusion is more or less confirm

Justin L likes this.
  13. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Given Korea's victory, it is a moot point, but I question Head Coach Kang's decision to sit on the coaching seat in the XD game. Thankfully Chae played spectacularly well (especially given her age) but had it been close or gone to the third set, I think Ra Kyung Min would have played a critical role in advising them. For the other matches, his presence might have been a strong encouragement, but I think he allowed his title to better his judgement. I don't doubt his experience in playing XD himself, but if you have RKM (who normally coaches XD) why in the world would you put coach Kang instead of coach Ra? I don't even think Coach Kang would make that call, had he been able to think objectively of the situation.

14. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Overreacted a tad bit :p I don't think he meant that. Just something can appear awefuly bad if appropriate words aren't used.

15. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Poor Lee Yong Dae fought all his life to secure one World Title but couldn't get the job done.

And as soon as he retires, Boom....Here comes the **** Sudirman title to Korea.

Some poetic justice it is.

16. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Yeah exactly, what if they were drawn with INA/MAS/THA as the second team, what if they had India as third nation in the group event. Or what if they had CHN/DEN/JPN in QF. What if they had JPN in SF. But that doesn't take everything away from this glorious victory. With "that" team (wasn't bad, but just not Korean "level") if they can pull of victories against full fledged CHN they deserve every bit of it.
    Also, luck is an uncertain but essential part in every thing (not only sport) it doesn't take anything away if you were blessed and doesn't act as an excuse if you were unfortunate.

All in all a great tourney, what a great week. Helped me so much to get my mind off my exams, for few hours

17. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

I think SWH has a better chance against CL than does LCW. You will recall Son won a set vs CL in Rio which no one else did, including LCW. If all are in peak form, I would pick Son over LCW to beat CL because of his mental stability, compared to LCW whose play significantly suffers when under pressure. Of course, only CL and LD can do so, but we've seen LCW cruise to the finals of tournaments and Majors, only to get stonewalled by the great wall of China.

All said, the chances of Son beating CL isn't high, but I think it isn't accurate (hence respectful) to say that he had "no chance".

18. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

LOL, no, if I overreacted, there would have been expletives!

19. Desireless

Coaches base their decisions on what feedback the players give them.

20. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

I am not familiar with the Chinese roster, but the old warriors (MD and MS) did get it done. They just needed one more warrior in the other events (historically WS was dominated by China but the three female kings (Wangs) aren't around or healthy). I think the most questionable call was the XD choice, as I think Zheng/Chen would have been the better team.

But I can't complain, as I am thrilled Korea won!