TOTAL BWF SUDIRMAN Cup 2017 : FINAL (28th May)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 27, 2017.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Age of professional full time badminton umpire and service judge should be coming soon!

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's what I've been hoping for and with BWF accreditation to uphold a code of ethics and professional conduct. Only then can we ensure the highest integrity and professional standards.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i got an idea for service fault call!!

Why don't they just hang a bright red straight line (or rod) at say 42.4 cm below the net cord! The net is 152.4 cm in height. And if you deduct 42.4 cm, that would be 110 cm!!

[​IMG]

Line judges at the back can then tell whether the service is below 110 cm!! Line judges at the back will from now on call the service fault instead!! A player can challenge the service fault call with instant review camera too!!!

Another brilliant idea, isn't it!!

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, much more accurate and consistent to have a laser scanning the body at the fixed height that BWF is working out so the service judge (and the umpire if the service judge is unsighted) can see immediately if there's a fault. This will also allow instant replay and player challenges to occur.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

5. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Yeah, laser scan sounds more accurate than the red line.
    Question is can BWF afford to have laser scan?

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    arm movement will cause the shirt/line to go up and down.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Players will have to play shirtless!

8. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Eh, some crowd will be happy seeing their idol shirtless. :rolleyes:

9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    which begs the ?'n: how much would viewership of ws/wd/xd increase?

10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The t-shirt movement has to be marginal. Look at the picture of the serve some post above ; it is still but can we imagine much t-shirt movement from the slight push he is about to give? This solution is not 100% safe but it is quite objective and cheap. The laser beam would be better but more delicate to employ - though it would be spectacular! May be at SS level it is laser beam, at lower tournaments the red line.

11. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    he's wearing sleeveless so movement would be virtually 'nyl'... ha ha, get it? a shirt with sleeves would create noticeable movement.

the argument against a fixed height serving point from taller players is a weak one. their reasoning seems to forget the advantage they have in court coverage and smash angle. should shorter players lobby for a smaller half of a court when playing singles?

12. visor

visor Regular Member

No, by the same reasoning as the taller players having to serve lower, the shorter players should play in a bigger court...

13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    oh yeah, I can see it now... the service judge sitting behind the opposite baseline wearing coke bottle glasses. :D

on a serious note, in the baseline angle scenario, the height at which a line judge sits would create slightly different perspectives.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Why exclude the MS and MD? ;) badminton is for everybody.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I don't think it is expensive. Certainly will look spectacular to see it on court.

16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Samkool, I'm I right in supposing you are not very tall? I can tell you I am only 188 and to move my body around the court, specially in changing direction, is much more slow and tiresome then my 175 friends!
    But overall I did not notice an advantage for tall players, single or double.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I should think any natural advantage in physique isn't as significant as we thought it'd be,otherwise the big and tall athletes would dominate the top ranks although admittedly the majority are on the tall side, at least above 1,75 (5' 9") to 1.8m (5' 11") i badminton. Even in basketball, it's not always the tallest players who make it to the top of the heap.

In badminton, as we know,we have Lee CW, Akane Yamaguchi, Tai TY, Zheng Siwei, Chen Qingchen, Nozomi Okuhara, Saina Nehwal, Zhang Beiwen, Marcus Gideon, Kevin Sukamujo, Misaki Matsutomo, Ayaka Takahashi, just to name these few among the top ranks who are on the shorter side.

18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    nope. i'm about the same height as you.

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    from now on, only qualified surveyors can be line judges and service judges!!! :p

[​IMG]

racketman123 likes this.
  20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Height above 1,8m isnt really an advantage in high-level badminton, as you trade off better reach and angles for slower changes in direction and a higher center of gravity. I guess there's an optimal height for singles where your stride length is just enough to cover common distance with an even 2 or 3 strides, but even that can be offset with small adjustments to your footwork (LCW's small hops on his left foot when covering diagonals come to mind).
    Overall I'd say anything above 1,95 is actually a disadvantage, as the diminishing returns of extra reach and angle are worth less than the added mass and height slowing you down.
    I remember VA stating in an interview that BCL was an inspiration to him, showing that playing singles with a height of 1,90m was actually possible, and VA himself and CL have shown that it is, indeed, doable. You'll have to be more flexible and stronger than smaller players though to artificially lower your center of gravity by lowering your stance, which is a big drain on your energy over time.
    Notice how you'll rarely see an all-out attacking tall player, most of them tend to be fairly technical and focus on shot quality and deception rather than huge smashes and fast play.

Anyhow. I think a uniform serving height would be a big disruption to the game and should be tested meticulously beforehand.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

renbo and Cheung like this.