Duora Z Strike (3u) | Owner's Diary

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by swsh, May 8, 2017.

1. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    IMG_2887.JPG

Aerosonic mini review.

Day ;unknown;
    String : Aerosonic
    Grip : DSC White because I forgot my head grips at home...

First shot in the mid court break in session it made the sweetest sound I've ever heard. Way better than the sounds I heard in the superseries in the same courts (April). It sounds remarkably different than anything else at 30lbs. Even my 10DG didn't sound anywhere close to this when it was at 35lbs with BG 80P.

Control is quite good at this tension. I was expecting something like NBG98 but nope. Repulsion is insane and while 11/10 feels weird to read, if the scales were correct for current strings this would perhaps be the only string that would be a perfect 10/10. Slight flick sends the shots to the back of court and you can keep going all day long without a thought in the world. After 3 4 minute sessions I wasn't tired at all and I felt like I could go on all day. This could be a perfect string for someone who perhaps struggles to generate power on his own at 26lbs or so.

At first my racket was out of control if I'm honest. The shots weren't as tight as I'd want them to be but I got used to it faster than I thought I would. Shots became better and better within minutes of warmup. First singles practise match I was able to comeback really easily when I wanted to and win it. There were a couple of really good smashes but I may have held back so as to not snap it with a mishit since Shreyas666 is coming tomorrow and I'd like him to try it as well. Unlike the disastrous stringjob done with Li Ning No.1 by a stringer I didn't know in the Li Ning shop, Mr. Mukesh did this perfectly. There was a rather unexpected backhand smash (sort of like a drive but much faster and steeper) from third court. I've never hit that before from third court so I was shocked myself at the power I was able to extract from it.

I think I need more time to learn about the string itself. This might be a controversial statement but as a string itself Li Ning No.1 cannot compete with this for anything other than durability for me. On the Racket I did a Z (for z strike) below so it wouldn't make the string thicker than standard. Need to create a stencil design of my own since I do logos for everyone else.

This is the best string I've used on DZS itself so far. Will that change when I try my love i.e BG80 again after such a long break? We'll see. :)

Furholden likes this.
  2. Furholden

Furholden Regular Member

Wonderful review. I'm not quite familiar with the Aerosonic, and BG80 is still my go-to. If you had to pick either aerosonic or NBG98 just to test for fun, which would you go for?

The very vague experience I had with aerosonic is that it had terrible durability.. Although it does seem that your review is very encouraging for me to give it a go again..

swsh likes this.
  3. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    Duo ZS of @swsh with aerosonic.
    Despite him vehemently protesting against me slicing with AS at 30lbs, this string suits DZS more than bg85 and vs890. Direct comparison with a week old nbg98 on zf2 4u and a freshly strung tk8000 with ns660ti both at 26lbs.
    Power accessibility zf2>tk8000>dzs
    Swing speed zf2>zs>tk8000
    Control tk8000>zf2=zs
    Wieldability zs>zf2>tk8000
    Headheaviness zf2>tk8000=zs
    Net play tk8000>zs=zf2

Honestly still couldn't differentiate between forehand and backhand side.

#123 shreyas666, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    swsh likes this.
  4. Furholden

Furholden Regular Member

The more you use the Z Strike, the more you'll be able to tell apart the backhand side of the racket. Maybe after a week or so of use, you'll be able to notice the difference when swinging it at higher speeds.

5. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    I have a fairly long swing, less of wrists. And my smashes are fairly lethal. Although this session was highlighted by my messed up swingspeeds, I wasn't lacking on power and stamina. I couldn't differentiate between sides at all. This would be my third session with zstrike.

6. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Trust me if I had bg80 available readily, I wouldn't even touch any other string so it's no wonder it's your go to. What do you mean by fun? Would you not care at all if it snapped or would you like it to stay on for awhile. As fun for me meant I didn't mind using the scissors on it right away if it did snap which is why I choose the absurd tension to go with it. NBG 98 has amazing repulsion and if you haven't tried it (at high tensions), it's definitely the one to try atleast once as it doesn't cost much either.

Now what I'm wondering is why I still haven't snapped it. Actually handed it over to a coach and he didn't snap it (shreyas666 can confirm this). Is it because the shop is extremely careful about the maintenance of the machine (clamps) and whatnot unlike some other guys I've tried? Could be the case. I actually gave it to a fellow player there and he had a bunch of mishits and it still didn't snap. (Have a video of it)

It hasn't snapped even after about 8 hours of court time. Yes I don't mindlessly smash but I do smash a decent amount and if it was such a fragile string, I would have found out.

The performance however has dropped quite a bit. I've noticed a steady drop ever since it came off the machine when it comes to repulsion. I'd currently rate it similar to Li Ning No.1 that's been freshly strung. Perhaps a tad higher. Sound has reduced as well.

Holy crap did you write that in red line (metro)?

I'd like to add that this man is basically Lin Dan and slices every single shot. The string on tk8000 is rougher than both zf2's and dzs so that changed loads of things and perhaps made tk8000 seem weaker in places it shouldn't have. But still the netplay for me was better with the zf2 compared to 8000 because I was more sure of the shots when I was trying to pick a drop almost at the ground instead of just clearing the shuttle everytime. Drops or slices from midcourt were however the places where thruster really shined through.

I'm in a really bad position now after today's session tho. Slightly addicted to ZF2's solid feel now which is not a good thing for my bank account. If you see a ZF2 3U diary soon, blame shreyas666.

7. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    My shared grommet holes are in a bad place. Has anyone changed DZS grommets and can they link me to the grommets thy bought if they were good?

8. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    DZS has been sent to the stringer again with BG80. I wasn't sure of it's genuineness as it had white written on the packet but a sticker with black on it with the barcode (seemed like a nice sticker sunrise would use). The string inside were black. It seemed quite similar to my 80LD so I took the chance. Let's see what happens tomorrow. In the meantime as my card has indeed arrived, I've ordered JP coded BG80 from globalrakuten & SP coded from MBS after being fed up with string availability issue here.

9. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    BG80 @30x31 (5% PS)

dzs with BG80.jpg victor grip.jpg victor grip packet.jpg

I'm a bit overwhelmed currently by how good this darn string is so I'll try my best to relay the feelings but I apologize if I come up short. At 10am I received the victor overgrip I had ordered online through my card. I went to siri fort and got my racket. Quick ping test reminded me of BG80 LD but I wasn't sure.

My partner arrived 15 minutes late at 6:15 (our courts were booked from 6:00 - 7:20). The first thing I wanted was to slice the shuttlecock and so I did. It was the most effortless slice I've ever hit and I continued to keep slicing all my tosses for fun. Some driving practice and fakes later we started playing. I kid you not, I have not played this good and this consistent since the last time I used 80LD. Low cross drops were the easiest thing in the world. Smashes felt way better than aerosonic at 30lbs (way better feel and I feel like I can hit more harder because I'm not scared of snapping it). Flicks were a bit less powerful than aerosonic during first hour if we were to compare directly. Control is second to none on this and power is insanely good. This feels like a match made in heaven. Did I mention that the sound is great? Yeah the sound is fantastic. Not Aerosonic type on net shots but still pretty darn good and smashes sound better.

I must stop comparing tho as it's quite hard for any other string to live up to the almost religious experience of BG80.I could do whatever the hell I wanted like I suddenly had years of extra practise. If you just told me about it, I would never believe a string could do that.

It's my first time using BG80 on a high end frame and the only time I've used it after april and it is even better than I remember. The one big quality I absolutely adore still remains. The string gets better with each shot and it's something I've not been able to find in anything else. Everything else very slightly drops after few shots but this keeps getting better and better. The hard feeling is not for everyone but for people who do like it, is there anything else for them in the market? I don't think so. It's easy to criticize most things but sometimes there comes a product that is truly impossible to excoriate. With other strings I've wondered should I cut them or not but all I can think of right now is when will I be able to play with it again.

10. Xan Wong

Xan Wong Regular Member

Just got my Z strike with BG80 ... will be testing it soon

swsh likes this.
  11. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Which colour (BG80)? ;)

So update, BG80 from global rakuten and MBS have arrived. JP coded one arrived the same day same time even though the order was made a bunch of days later. I guess I should've expected that from EMS but MBS was also super fast given it was free shipping. I got my JP coded in 4 days and SP from MBS in 7. Even shops from different part stores of India sometimes take more. Bravo . Now to hell with the strings available here. I'm importing everything from now on :D.

I've also bought yonex stencil ink & calf sleeves. Sleeves seem magical after my slight calf injury that was starting to bug me everyday. Now I'm all set and ready to create a custom logo for fun (recovering from sickness and can't play till tomorrow so need to kill time :p) and start enjoying myself again from tomorrow onwards. Racket has been given to the stringer with the absolutely beautiful yellow BG80's.

[​IMG]
    IMG_2953.JPG

12. Drive Warrior

Drive Warrior Regular Member

Engineer
  13. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Thanks but I'll probably have to consult my physio anyway. It's practically free in the uni and she is damn good at it (and quite smug about her skillset xD) so I really don't mind.

I won't be stencilling the yonex logo. That is free of cost done from the yonex shop unless you specifically refuse which I do sometimes to mess about and write something weird (LOL).

I'll be designing a personalized logo for myself and putting that on just for fun :).

Drive Warrior likes this.
  14. blablabla21

blablabla21 Regular Member

What do you think of BG80 and Lining No1 in terms of repulsion ?

15. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    I am hooked with aerobite on my 2 dzs. 3ug5.

One thing that i am crazy about with this racket is defending.

16. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    No.1 is obviously bit better in terms of repulsion but the difference isn't enough to warrant the tradeoff in texture and feel. I'm ordering a g tone 5 however to test out as it's supposed to be the most textured .65mm string.

I've never tried aerobite I think. But even if so, given how quickly aerobite dies, I'm not sure I can use it since I play a bit too much every single day. This is quite a nice racket to defend with I agree with you :)

17. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    Funny thing is.. in my experience, aerobite does not die that quick.. it's more like, it lost it's tension way than li ning no1.. but after that it kinda stays. It doesn't die down over time.

18. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    How many hours in a day and how frequently per week do you play? (For comparative purposes)

19. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    6d90b398-6faf-4718-8b8a-26a988b3fb18.jpg

Q - Why did you put your name on the damn racket?
    - I needed something weird on the strings before I try the jp coded version naked. If I'm paying almost twice the amount for jp coded I want it to feel better when I get it strung even if it's the same xD Try to understand!!!

To the review!!

Strings were done at 31x32 with relatively high pre stretch. This feels way better than the black indian strings I got. These were one of two 80's I received yesterday one as from japan and one was from hong kong (MBS). This is the string from MBS. I'm starting to believe the whole colours matter and texture can be slightly different claim. Yellow seems like a really good color. Again I hate to do it but damn this thing is good.

I do have to add, this was my first time playing with calf sleeves and my court coverage and efficiency increased by a lot suddenly out of the blue. My left calf has a slight injury and even that didn't bug me till the 120th minute in court. Even then it was only minor and I could maintain a really good speed. Felt like it was a new "gear". I've never felt this before so while it was weird, I'm wearing these all the time now.

Was picking up drops that I could never dream of just yesterday. Then bg80 came into play and like bam go multiple cross court drops. There was a really good player in front of me who was playing a bit slow due to his shoulder injury and we had a really funny cross court to cross court drop exchanges sometimes.

Nothing much this time around but I felt like yellow was much better than black even after having a layer of stencil ink on it.

20. Furholden

Furholden Regular Member

I'd be surprised if stringers don't keep stock of BG80. It is still an amazing string despite its age in the market. Trying for "fun", what I really meant was that it is a string that I would cut once I've gotten a rough idea of what it feels like and if I didn't like it, I should be prepared to change it back to bG80 right away.