Chen XiaoXin (陈晓欣)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by RedShuttle, May 1, 2017.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

RedShuttle likes this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If CXX plays Sung Ji Hyun like she did against Sonia yesterday, she'd be bundled out unceremoniously. Expect SJH to pay lots of fast clears to pin CXX to the back and suddenly execute a drop shot to bring her forward, scrambling back and forth, and every time CXX lifts or clears that don't find good lengths will be duly punished by the tall SJH's smashes straight DTL or x-court and also steep drop-shots for variation. CXX I think got to be fast on her feet, be agile and good at the net which she is somewhat lacking atm.

I honestly doubt CXX can handle Sung yet. Anyway, CXX has already exceeded expectations, anything more is a bonus as RedShuttle said. Hope CXX can let herself go, play freely and, most of all, enjoy herself; nothing to lose, no need to pressurise herself too much, take it as another learning experience. Whatever she gained from this tournament should stand her in good stead in future.

3. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

The fairy tale journey finally came to an end. A physically and emotionally exhausted CXX succumbed to the ever steady SJH in the QF. While not without flashes of brilliance, CXX was generally sluggish and lead-footed in this match. CXX did show some grit to wrestle the second game from SJH from 8-15, 13-18 and 18-20 down . CXX also showed her fighting spirit in the third game, against extreme exhaustion and on the verge of a certain defeat. She was lucky to not have suffered an injury. If I were her coach, I would probably have told her to let it go and wrap it up quickly.

During her brief stay in Jakarta, CXX beat the World and Olympics Champion and received a ticket to the World Championship. I am sure that she will remember this week fondly. It's now time for a well deserve rest and to get ready for the Australian Open where she will face another set of tough opponents.

Justin L and s_mair like this.
  4. Coro

Coro Regular Member

her shrieking does not bother you because she is your compatriot or same ethnicity with you

while marin is not

neither marin nor this girl bothers or startles me

i just said he has a shriek like marin

[​IMG]

this is when she is shrieking

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm not racist, you are for mentioning ethnicity as the reason. Well, so far, still nobody except you find fault with her shrieking.

And what's wrong with shrieking in delight after winning a match, from the picture you posted ? Nobody else does that ?

6. swunk

swunk Regular Member

CXX does shout sometimes, but she does it in a rather subtle fashion and always walking away from the net. Marin's high-pitched screams are several times louder and she almost always screams basically in the opponent's face. Can't describe how glad i was when CXX kicked Marin's butt ) She spared me from hearing all that awful Marin's shouting throughout the tournament )

RedShuttle likes this.
  7. RedShuttle

CXX is getting some attention after the big win over CM. A reporter interviewed her provincial team coach Yu Yong and her father Chen YuanHai.
    http://www.sohu.com/a/149399295_498706

Snippets from the interviews:

Her Coach:
    Her Father:

8. RedShuttle

[​IMG]

Another day, another interview of CXX: http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2017-06-21/doc-ifyhmtek7605744.shtml

Baidu translates for you: http://fanyi.baidu.com/transpage?qu...744.shtml&from=auto&to=en&source=url&render=1

Excerpts:
    • On beating Marin
      "She's more famous, so the pressure is on her. The venue is really windy. I don't think she played what she is capable of. As far as overall strength, she is still better than me."

"I was happy for the whole day. But I have to play the next match soon. I can't linger on the last match too much.

• On going to the World Championships
      "Actually, I learned about it a few days before the Indonesia Open. Being able to attend the World Championship, for sure that I am happy. Thanks to the coaching staff for giving me this opportunity."

"But I feel that I am still far away from the elite players. I hope to learn more from this competition".

[At the Badminton Asia Championship] "then, it was because Sister XurRui's foot injury did not recover in time, I got the chance to play. Before that time, I never thought that I would play at this year's World Championships."

• On her idol Yip Pui Yin
      "I watched her match long time ago. I found her style very masculine, having her own characteristics. Although she is slowly getting older now, but I like her energetic determination very much."

nilesh123, s_mair, Justin L and 2 others like this.
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Another tough match against another fast,tall, attacking player, Sindhu, awaits her today in R2 of the AUS Open SS. The last time she played Sung Ji Hyun, CXX struggled to cope with SJH's height and reach, let's see how she deals with Sindhu later. It's just barely a week ago, don't expect her to get it right so soon. A learning experience it'll be.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's the right attitude, humble and realistic, and eager to learn and improve herself. Her chance to play at the upcoming World Championships is a godsend, hugely motivating her to work harder and strengthening her resolve to do well though I won't be expecting anything much from her at this time. Whatever the outcome, the timely experience will stand her in good stead in future.

Didn't expect her idol to be Yip Pui Yin. Actually, I like Yip PY's on court attitude too but she's too inconsistent and error-prone; always eager to finish the rally quickly and often unable to string her shots well together.

11. RedShuttle

In her second round match against Pusarla V. Sindhu at the Australian Open, CXX did a credible job and won a few tough rallies. However, it also exposed a few gaps between CXX and an elite level player:
    • Ability to sustain high level of play for a longer period.
      CXX can play PVS to even in spots but couldn't keep the level of play long enough to withstand the surges by PVS.

• Unforced errors.
      CXX still needs to polish her skills more and keep her focus to avoid giving away cheap points.
    On the bright side, her game seems getting more matured and more calculated in term of balancing defense and attack. That is crucial when playing elite level players. Otherwise, CXX's aggressive play would be quickly exploited by the top players.

alien9113 likes this.
  12. RedShuttle

CXX's meteoric rise from being a nobody to a seeded player at the World Championship hit a snag in the Round of 16. She seemed overcome by the occasion and was a bit out of place. CYF's success earlier on the same court might have added some pressure. CXX came here for a lesson and really got it. Let's see if she can turn this humbling experience into something good.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Though Chen Xiaoxin lost to Tai Tzu Ying in R1 of the French Open, I was heartened by how she played in G2 which she won before losing the decider.

G1 was forgettable as CXX was simply not into the game. In G2, she fought back with grit determination , at one point leading by as much as 14-7 before TTY closed the gap but CXX was able to stay ahead slightly , 19-17 then wrapped it up 21-19.

In G3, CXX managed to keep pace with TTY until 11-12, then TTY pulled away to lead comfortably 19-12 but CXX took the next four points on the trot to reduce the deficit to 16-19 before TTY finished it off 21-16.

What I want to say is she is improving her game gradually, not only in this match with TTY but I believed also in her previous match with Akane Yamaguchi at the KOR Open in Sep with a creditable score of 23-25, 21-11, and 18-21.

Keep it up, Chen Xiaoxin. Jiayou !

14. RedShuttle

CXX is transitioning from an aggressive style typically of junior players to a more balanced game that is more suitable for competing at the senior level.

In the match against Jindapol, CXX held back from her attacking play and did not show enough consistency to keep up with her more seasoned competitor. To be successful at the senior level, CXX must reduce her errors significantly.

Justin L likes this.
  15. RedShuttle

Congratulations!

CXX's athleticism was on full display today. While she was tentative at the World Championships, CXX was back to her old aggressive self today and went all out. That's the CXX that got my attention at the beginning. Keep up with the good work!

Justin L likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

After watching the replay, to be honest,I wasn't exactly convinced though heartened by Chen Xiaoxin's victory over the world number one. G1 was a remarkable win but G2 was practically lost by Tai TY than won by CXX as the former was uncharacteristically error-prone.

Obviously, there's still much room for improvement in CXX's game mainly owing to her inexperience at 20 years of age, but in this match, she has shown a bit more consistency, patience and less vulnerable to her opponent's deception. On top of that, I must admit her tenacity in defence by scrambling to get a lot back sometimes appeared to frustrate TTY into committing a number of her unforced errors.

In the QFs tomorrow, CXX is up against another very experienced and mature player who is also technically highly skilled and an amazing retriever, therefore I believe she will be put to another stern test ; definitely, her work is cut out for her.

Nevertheless, CXX has scored two morale-boosting victories In the first two rounds over top-notch opponents and that should stand her in good stead going forward.

As usual for me, I'm always approving of CXX's body language on court, all the time exuding confidence and displaying positivity whatever the score. It may not be this time but I do hope she makes a breakthrough here at the Japan Open, raises her game another level and moves up the ranks in good time within top 8 ,stay consistent, and then, let's see how far she can go from there. She still has time on her side.

All the very best, Chen Xiaoxin. Jiayou !

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

[​IMG]

I just checked on Chen Xiaoxin's H2H with Tai Tzu Ying, today's only their second meeting, and it's 1- 1 !

The first encounter, CXX lost by a respectable three-setter, 9-21,21-19, 21-16 at the French Open 2017.

Now CXX won by 21-18, 21-14 at the japan Open 2018. That's very encouraging, indeed. Keep it up.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Anyway, Congratulations to Chen Xiaoxin beating Tai Tzu Ying - just a word of encouragement for a young lady in the early years of her professional career; otherwise, not that much to shout about as TTY wasn't at her best nor was it a title bout.

Incidentally, CXX is the second CHN WS, after He Bingjiao, to defeat Tai Tzu Ying in recent years. An injection of confidence such a victory brings, in addition to her earlier one over Carolina Marin at the INA Open 2017 and coincidentally their H2H is also 1 - 1 at this moment, is just what a young up-and-comer needed most to grow from strength to strength.

19. RedShuttle

It's fair to say the TZY was not at her best in this match. Despite of the victory, CXX is not yet in the class of TZY, let alone better than TZY.

The remarkable thing about this match is how CXX played. She was back to her old aggressive style, but with significantly reduced errors.

It seems that the Chinese team has come to the realization that the game has changed. Playing at the highest level does no longer mean playing a steady safe game. The state of WS today has evolved to a more active and even aggressive style.

This plays right into the hands of CXX. Without drastically changing her natural playing style, CXX now has the "right" game to compete at the highest level. The top WS players today have shown that one can play aggressively without making a lot of errors. There is no need to change playing style just to avoid making errors. So the road map is clear for CXX. It can be done, but hard work is required.

Coincidentally, TZY's own rise was also keyed on cutting down her errors. TZY always has an amazing arsenal of shots but used to give points away easily on errors. Once she cut down on her errors, TZY launched herself right to the top. Let's see whether CXX can follow the same path.

#39 RedShuttle, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Justin L likes this.
  20. RedShuttle

Although the result was not ideal, CXX had another credible performance in the quarter-final match against Okuhara. CXX has proven that her attack is sharp enough and her defense is tough enough to compete against players at the elite level. In this match, however, the old problem of making errors crept up again and was the main cause of her downfall. Controlling errors remains her top priority.

All in all, CXX is moving in the right direction. With her injuries seemingly behind her, she looks fully capable of making her way towards a spot in the Top 10, perhaps within a year.

Justin L likes this.