Strings for intermediate players at low tensions

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by vibes_1994, Jun 16, 2017.

1. vibes_1994

vibes_1994 New Member

Hi Guys!
    I am primarily a singles player. I use a Voltric 7 neo, it's a 4U racquet and the recommended tension is 19-24 lbs. The reason I chose a lighter racquet is because it's a bit quicker in doubles(which I do play on a regular basis too).
    I have a few local tournaments(singles mainly) coming up in the next 2-3 months.
    I was using BG 65 earlier, it lasts long but that doesn't really enhance my game.
    I am more of a backcourt player. I need a string which has good repulsion and at the same time give good control during net play.
    I am considering a tension of about 22-23 lbs.
    What strings do I use? (NBG98,BG 80, BG65Ti or any Li-Ning)

Thanks!

#1 vibes_1994, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  2. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

Probably not helpful but you need to try them all and pick your favourite. Out of the YY you mentioned nbg98 is likely the most repulsive but for me snaps at the lightest of mishits.

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk

3. vibes_1994

vibes_1994 New Member

Thanks for the response. What tension did you string NBG98 at? Does it snap that often at lower tensions too?

4. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

This was over 2 years ago. Probably around 24lbs. You need to try a few depending on gauge you want. But honestly the nbg strings aren't worth the extra price premium.

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I would take your tension of BG65 and would do following transition: BG80 -2lbs, BG80 Power and NBG99 -1lbs, VS850 same tension. All mentioned strings have a good repulsion and decent control and feel.

50% of the Forum will agree that you can't go wrong with BG80 if you want control, repulsion and feel and also decent tension retension. IMO the most balanced all in package compared with VS850.

BG80 Power is slightly more repulsive but also a tiny bit weaker in terms of feel and control. Most repulsive is FME NBG99 and same tension out of this 3. Bin BG65TI, LN or NBG98 or any slippery string like a fish if you want great control at the net.

6. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    From my experience it lasts as long as 65 at 30+lbs. But I've used the recent batches so it could perhaps be a bit different.

I agree with ucantseeme there. You can't go wrong with BG80 :p

7. bdmtfreak

bdmtfreak Regular Member

I have always used NBG98 but switched to BG80 because it gives more bite to the shuttle and thus allows me to have better control of my shots. NBG98 has great repulsion and also sounds amazing due to its thinness (0.66mm). The downside is that it is a bit slippery and will rob you of power if you tend to slice the shuttle and not hit it squarely. Recently I tried VS850 and I think it is quite good in terms of power and control. I found it weird at first because it doesn't make much sound when i hit drives compared to BG80 but once you get used to it, it performs quite well. Kind of similar to BG80 but softer.

8. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

Are you saying that NBG98 has a similar durability to BG65?! :eek:

9. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Yeah sorry I meant it's quite close. It took me a month to snap it while almost all other strings except 80 go in a week or less than that without mishits.

Last time I remember using 65, it used to go in a month as well. I pestered shreyas666 into getting it as well so he can report back with it as well.

#9 swsh, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    What brings a durable string when the performance is low? OP used BG65 nearly 2 years. I think this means that he don't play much and use low tension, like stated in the topic. FME NBG is one of the slippiest strings. If you slice drops shots and at the net etc. you will be unhappy with it. It is also the numbest string of all Yonex strings. The great repulsion is just a solace, when you don't have feel and control. Nobody would choose to live 300 years in a basement with just water and old bread.

11. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    Words to live by.

12. vibes_1994

vibes_1994 New Member

Cool! I guess I'll be settling for the BG80.

13. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Don't go for the online sites selling you black old stock of BG80 in India. Order straight from Mybadmintonstore.com in yellow. I just got mine strung and they feel way better than black ones I received from khelmart.

Writing this since bg80 isn't available normally in India.

#13 swsh, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  14. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I've been told bg80 comes into its own past 26lbs, but haven't tried it at low tensions. Another string to consider for bite and power at low tensions would be r4x110, but I'm not sure about the longevity of it. I nearly killed a set in a day.

Agreed on 98, no.1 etc being too slippery at the net. I think 98 has awful feel too. You could try aerobite? I found that was fairly pleasant.

sean222 likes this.
  15. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I just remembered....What about G tone 5 at lower tensions?

16. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    At lower tensions, bg66 is an excellent string. Perfect for defending and lifting. And lasts long, wish bg66 was available here, my favourite string so far!!