Lower back pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Rocket11, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Rocket11

Rocket11 New Member

I started playing badminton regularly for past 5 months. A week ago I was playing a club tournament and playing intensely. Halfway through match I picked up the shuttlecock from the floor and immediately had an acute pain in my lower back (central area) but I carried on playing to finish the match. During the whole week the pain was intense when I sit in my office chair and shifted towards my left side of my lower back.
    After few days of rest and pain started to vanish. The next Sunday I went to court and started doing some drills. Just after few mins I landed on my left leg and picked up very intense pain and left home immediately. Checked with near by doctor and he said it might be muscle tear and gave some injection and tablets for few days. Has anyone been in similar injury before? How long does it take to be back in full fitness and play normally?

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Maybe a muscle tear, maybe pinched a nerve. The intense pain thing in your leg rather than your back makes me think it's nerves.

The trouble is, a torn muscle needs to be treated carefully, and a pinched nerve requires stretching and movement.

I would take NSAIDs (ibuprofen), keep your back warm, and lightly stretch it over the week.

3. Rocket11

Rocket11 New Member

I don't have pain in my leg. To be precise, when I picked the shuttle I felt like inserting a needle slowly at my lower back.
    During one week the pain faded away.
    The next week when jumping between rallies I landed on my left leg and the pain was back. This time it was more intense than the first time (not something like injecting a needle, but worse)

4. visor

visor Regular Member

You need to find yourself a good chiropractor to diagnose and manipulate your back. Sounds like you may have nerve root irritation from either facet joint locking or worse disc protrusion.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    ermm, something similar actually happened to me this morning, (I played the night before). Pulled the string of my shoes that was not coming off undone then my right side started to hurt , tensed, and can't be moved. But then after relaxing and calming down. it went away.

Actually I get a lot of this after or when playing then do a particular movement or posture that makes certain muscles become tense and unmovable, had it with may calves and tighs too. The thing is just relax, calm down, let the tension go away slowly, don't force to move it, then slowly move your body and muscle. then it's ok

Problem is if you "carry on". That's why your doctor said you had a TEAR. Don't ignore your body and the pain. I just stop and rest, but move my body around, but maybe that's because I don't have a tear. I think your doctor did good,

had you stopped playing, rest and relaxed, maybe you wouldn't have the probability of a tear or nerve pinch or something even worse. it;s better to sit one night out rather than sacrificing a whole month, a whole year or all life giving up badminton.

6. Rocket11

Rocket11 New Member

Sounds scary.
    The problem is there ain't any chiropractors in my city but I went to a spine hospital yesterday.
    Doctor said it could be a muscle strain. Advised me to take some therapy session and tablets for few days.
    If pain doesn't fade away he asked me to revisit next week.
    Fingers crossed.

7. Rocket11

Rocket11 New Member

I learnt it in hard way. I ignored my body & pain and carried on playing. Now paying the price.
    Hope I recover from it.
    Thanks everyone!!

8. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

I had the same problem last month. Have been actively playing for more than 18 years, then due to work I stopped for 3 years. Last month I picked up badminton again, on my second week after I started again, I got lower back pain as well. It was pain and annoyed me so much as my movement become very limited, even in my daily life like go up and down the stairs. I suspected it was because I didn't do enough warming-up in the beginning and stretching at the end of the playing session. I went to therapist to give me massage and she said all my back + thigh muscle were so tense. I took a rest for 2 weeks, my wife gave me lower back massage every evening, and luckily now it's gone. Now I always do enough warming up and a lot of stretching at the end of practice session. Don't want to get the pain again :(

Tldr: Please do warming up and stretching properly in the beginning and in the end.

9. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    This is something I almost don't do, I just immediately play clear and drives. I usually bike to the badminton hall after all