Overseas training opportunities?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Richie1234, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Richie1234

Richie1234 New Member

I recently had a conversation with a guy at my badminton club who said the best thing to do to really improve would be to go to Malaysia or a similar country for quality badminton training. He said it is relatively cheap. I am living in the SouthEast US and am looking to improve. There are really not many coaching opportunities near my location. I am a beginner/intermediate player.

Would I be better off just staying somewhere in the USA for two weeks? I think the cost for two weeks of training/housing in the US would be equal to about 6 weeks in Malaysia.

Looking to see what you guy think.

2. eiji

eiji Regular Member

overseas exposure would always be good if you are looking to compete. Mixing with different coaching styles, cultures, playing styles, culture.If you are going to be training with players that are better than you, it will naturally help you improve faster. Take up the opportunity to train for 6 weeks in malaysia.

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    drmchsraj likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Would love to have done this when younger. No opportunity to do it now. If you love to learn and have the time and funds, why not? The opportunity may never come again in life. It is easier now as more information is available over the internet.

You can calculate the number of hours of practice time. Make sure you are fit before you arrive. There's no point wasting the first few weeks just trying to get fit for the training.

5. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Where in the SE?
    You can mix travel+badminton+friendships if you go to an academy overseas. You may do it a little more comfortably if you stay in the US, provided you find a good place.

6. Richie1234

Richie1234 New Member

The biggest issue I suppose I have is finding information about these places. Can anyone direct me to a website that has information?

Also, do you live on site or do you have to find separate housing?

7. Richie1234

Richie1234 New Member

This was a good read, however she seems to be in china for 5 or so years and just happen to stumble upon badminton. She is not enrolled in a full time training program / academy.

8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, But I think that is the best way, to live in that culture while also playing n training badminton. I think you just need to contact a club and ask about a program. Maybe they have or they don't, but they can direct you to some way, at least. Just get your phone up or email them.

You won't get on your first try and there are scams, but keep your net wide, ask several clubs across several countries then do the selection

You can try this in Indonesia :

http://taufikhidayatarena.com/category/training-camp/
    What is badminton for you?"

Well..badminton can be played by everyone; kids, grown ups, women, and men. It is one of the most popular sports in Indonesia, as you can see from the number of Badminton champions from here. Badminton is a fun sport, but the players can be very competitive

Here at Taufik Hidayat Arena, we provide three different types of program that will help members develop playing skills and endurance levels, and also focus on the physical and mental aspects of badminton." At Taufik Hidayat Arena we always believe winning is an attitude.

http://www.bulutangkis.com/mod.php?mod=infoklub

PB Menyuke
    •Lapangan : Gedung Badminton Pemantas,
    Ds Darit, Kec Menyuke, Kab Landak. (belakang surau pemantas)
    •Anggota : ~U-18 putra & putri (PB Menyuke Junior) ~Dewasa Putra
    •Jadwal latihan :
    ~U-18:Senin sd jumat (15.00-17.00 WIB)
    ~Dewasa Putra:Senin, Rabu, Jumat, Minggu(19.30-22.00 WIB)
    Yang mau join......silahkan lihat jadwal latihan dan datang ke tempat latihan kami. Thank'z

PB Raya (Rivaisport Badminton Kids)
    PB Raya merupakan suatu Organisasi Bulutangkis yang sudah terdaftar di PBSI, yang kami rancang bagi anak-anak yang mau mengembangkan kemampuan dalam bermain Bulutangkis ataupun untuk menyalurkan hobby anak anak.
    Setiap 1 bulan sekali kami juga akan memberikan penilaian seperti Raport untuk peserta anak didik kami.
    info whats app : WA 0812-86990020, atau langsung datang ke GCT building
    (GCT Badminton Arena) Jl. Taman Margasatwa no.12 Jatipadang. Warung Buncit Jakarta Selatan.

PB. Intitama Bintaro
    PB. INTITAMA BINTARO, Siap mendidik Putra / Putri Anda menjadi seorang Atlet Bulutangkis yang handal dan menerima pindahan dari club lain,
    daftar segera ke : 08121943781 WA - 081319669281
    JL. Camar XXII, Bintaro sektor IV, Tangerang Selatan
    Jadwal latihan : Setiap : Senin - Rabu - Jumat ( Jam 04.00 sore - 06.00)

SBC (Serpong Badminton Club)
    SERPONG BADMINTON CLUB Khusus Otodidak Remaja-Dewasa Gor. Cihuni dan Gor. Pasar Serpong Atau bisa disesuaikan Telp/Wa : 085294906007
    Pembinaan bulutangkis dengan paket program tingkat dasar hingga layaknya menu latihan atlit prestasi yang bisa di ikuti oleh siapa saja yang berminat program training Otodidak , serta program latihan privat bagi atlet atau calon atlet yang ingin mengembangkan dan meningkatkan skill permainan. Juga menerima pelatihan untuk luar kota

PB. PION
    Menerima pelatihan bulutangkis usia dini 5-17th Tempat: Gor Pasar Serpong Jadwal : Rabu-Jum'at-Minggu jam 15.00 sd 17.00 Administrasi Daftar : Rp.100.000 Iuran : Rp.300.000/bulan Terima Privat dan pelatihan dewasa,tempat bisa disesuaikan,untuk biaya hub langsung.
    Telp/Wa : Jajang Kurniawan085294906007 Ext. Pusdiklat Lippo Bank Jawa Barat

PB Setia Putra
    PB.SETIA PUTRA KARAWANG Pembinaan Generasi Juara batminton Karawang menerima Siswa didik baru mulai dari usia 5 s/d 17 tahun.
    Fasilitas berlatih
    1. Tiga Lapang Karpet
    2. kamar mandi, Mushola, Halaman parkir Luas
    3. Latiha 3x Sabtu, Minggu dan Kamis
    4. Penanganan Pelatih berpengalaman dan bersertifikasi
    5. Evaluasi Teknik bermain dan Prestasi setiap 6 bulan sekali.
    Untuk Informasi Pendaftaran menghubungi Asep Lukmanul Hakim 085777326727 email : asep,hakim2105@yahoo.co.id

etc.

#8 opikbidin, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  9. docento

docento New Member

Resurrecting an old thread. I would like to do the same thing as OP. What about places like Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong? Anything else other then the places mentioned in this thread?

10. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Most people avoid going to China to train because of the expenses (not to mention the amount of gifts you have to give to some coaches to get them to actually coach you). Other countries like Thailand are extremely cheap. Training at the same club as Ratchanok only costs 900 USD a month and that includes housing and food.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

kwun likes this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hong Kong doesn't have training schools or private facilities.

12. Richie1234

Richie1234 New Member

Is there a website that shows this cost? I can't find anything, which is a recurring theme with badminton centers abroad.

13. docento

docento New Member

Could you tell me the name of the club?

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

14. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Probably there is a website if you know Thai. But cheap quality training is easy to find in poorer countries if you live in a first world. So while 900 USD seems dirt cheap to us, it is an insane amount of money for Thai people, who earn less than 10 USD a day.

15. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Not sure...will ask later. AFAIK it is with Ratchanok's club, so you can contact her or Xie Zhuhua via Facebook.

Edit: Club is Banthongyord Badminton School in Nakhon Pathom

#15 asadafgs, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  16. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

17. docento

docento New Member

Thanks for the info. Any idea if they might know English tho?

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

18. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Yes, they should know English.

19. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    China's expensive?! I disagree with that. Training here, with top notch professional coaches isn't expensive at all. And the gift culture is for chinese people, not foreigners. If you find a coach and hire them for training there is no additional or hidden costs to that. Also, the level of the average amateur is much higher than the average amateur in other countries.

Recently I've been playing with a professional player from Taiwan. He trains and plays in Taiwan but he came to my city in China to improve himself for a few months because he said Chinese facilities are so much better and the average player is so much higher than everywhere else in the world.

20. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Even if it is not that expensive, it is a huge sum compared to 900 USD a month including food and room.

AFAIK, you can't find any top coaches in China, as the best level of training you will probably be accepted into is sports school, which is the same level as where I live, the US. I doubt the provincial teams will allow outsiders to train due to the competitiveness of Chinese sports. Actually, someone told me they trained for a while with the national team tier 2, so I might be wrong on that. Maybe best place you can find is KBC (not aware of the situation there). Definently do not go to LYB.

#20 asadafgs, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017