Yonex Duora Z-Strike 2017 !

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by tw1nzor, Dec 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. KrisnaYana

KrisnaYana Regular Member

Paul Any news or impressions about the racket after about a month?

2. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

Same here, unless you can increase the tension on a lighter racket regardless its durability.

3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Watching Momota play, his touch is not as good. Not sure if it's the Z Strike or his lack of formal play. Probably the latter. Either way every player I've seen changed to this racket took a step back - Axelsen, LD, Momota - they've all played worse with it.

Victor Lim and dave010 like this.
  4. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I had the reply typed and ready in the Momota thread but decided against it since I knew I'd catch flak / get the usual pros can use anything responses. To worsen it all up, he was using 35 on that I think or close. It's already unbelievably hard to use as is at 32/33. It's the different sides throwing in those extra variables to think about in points where your mind is already working overtime to compensate that kills it. You can adjust to the racket really well when you don't have to work as hard mentally and don't have a hundred things on your mind which is what I believe happened in Japan when Momota probably started using the racket. Even I (not even to be mentioned in the same sentence as him otherwise) struggled with this problem and kept thinking about how much I needed to compensate for the different sides.

It's a lovely racket and in training maybe even better than a zf2. For some reason I think yonex threw him one and will probably throw Srikanth one as well if he maintains his form. So they could get good promotion for it by having the up and coming stars wield it in all matches. As I don't want to believe he copied someone. VA became inconsistent after switching from the Arc as well. Sometimes I wonder now if the mental thing is really all him or the racket playing tricks and creating issues in his mind as well (VA). Momota's backhand is a delight to watch at the net and I usually remember seeing a lift from most of the drops he returned with it but even if he managed that the firepower of zf2 3u isn't there with a z strike at the same tension (at that much) especially not from the rear mid court / back court where I saw him smash from some times.

#564 swsh, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Apocalic and dave010 like this.
  5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Tbh anybody who ever think that a sponsored player is forced to use a significant racket, especially a Yonex must had a long night in Amsterdam's coffee shops. Yonex is THE BRAND when it comes to repaints and customations of rackets for pros, so I don't see a reason why they need to force even their posterboy to use. They all use what they want.

Anyway, we should also know, that no pro is badminton robot. They all have lifes, travel around the world and have a huge pressure on them. The have a ****ed up sleep rhythm due traveling.That they have periods, where they don't play at their peak seems natural. You can't compare the 10 hours per week fun with friends guy with a pro. But they also get ill, feel sick, have a bad day, feel empty, are done, are injured etc.,etc. That a new racket became the reason for a bad performance, should and don't happen at their level. They are just humans like we all and how often had you a bad performance during training or tournament the last 6-8 weeks? The racket is the reason - I can only shake my head at that. That's what the doctor's of equipment science really think?

Cycril likes this.
  6. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    It's 3am, I've been awake since 3:35am yesterday so you bet I've had a long night & day in general (albeit not in amsterdam)! :oops: The headache won't go away so here I am trying to distract myself. Welcome to the lovely conversations of the night with a fidgety swsh.

I would agree they won't force anyone but a bit like showing the latest and greatest (then showing arguments as to why that is true) and making them believe it's the right thing in their mind. You're right it could've been a repaint but if a certain adversary (VA) was using the original he wouldn't have many other reasons to get it as a repaint would he? Wouldn't he try to adjust to the racket instead?

I'd shake my head at that too but Charlie has observed as well and it seems to be becoming a trend that people who switch to Z Strike suddenly aren't the same as before. Surely we aren't just gasping in thin air.

#566 swsh, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    dave010 likes this.
  7. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I've believed in all the Yonex marketing and trusted in their company to improve over the 3 year old ZF2. However, nothing about the DZS has impressed me.

Orangbiasa and swsh like this.
  8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    It's not about being forced, I think YY encourage players to try these things. LD tried aerobite too, but went back to BG80.

I have the following opinions on it:
    The Z strike is slightly stiffer, with less headweight at the end. The ZF2 is fairly stiff anyway. Maybe it is not as optimal as the ratio of the ZF2 for professional players.

While many have said they do not think the Duora sides make a great deal of difference, it could be that it throws professional players off just enough to misshit the shot. With how close they play backhand drops to the net, a subtlety could do it.

Horizontal A concept? Maybe that's an issue. Lots of people report the Z Speed being weird to play on. Maybe that's just another factor.

I have a feeling the ZS is a racket that feels amazing in your hand, in dry swings, but underperforms. I know loads of people who picked up the FB and loved it, felt great in their hands, fast as anything - until they realised they couldn't hit hard with it. Although this time, it's because of a combination of factors, rather than just weight.

Orangbiasa, dave010 and swsh like this.
  9. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Exactly. My tired brain couldn't phrase it right probably. Hey we have this all new innovative & groundbreaking stuff we've come up with, wanna try it? Of course the players would at least once or twice. How else would you find the next best thing that suits you and is an improvement right? But with Momota the question is will he go back or stick with it like axelsen. As a fan I hope he does go back. It did feel amazing when I dry swung it in the shop and I chose it over the very 3u ZFII LCW I own now two months from that incident.

10. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Looking at all the TK9000, Nanoray Z speed, and other reviews, I'm convinced badminton central has effectively turned into CNN. In 2017, better watch your sources carefully!

jigglinjigglin and ucantseeme like this.
  11. blablabla21

blablabla21 Regular Member

CNN means ?

12. phorge

phorge Regular Member

CNN = Certified Nonsense Nonstop.

Just kidding. I think he meant that the reviews for those rackets are all over the place.

Cycril likes this.
  13. jigglinjigglin

jigglinjigglin Regular Member

i just ordered 3 in 3u of them, i played once Zf2 3u, after that tk9900, and after them my friend came in with the duora zs... i must admit, that i thought bullshit about that duora idea first, but after playing, this racket felt fookin amazing... so amazing... you just have to try it on hands. balance is like arc11, stiffness and feel like jetspeed 10. Forehand feels a little bit like a fusion of z speed and jetspeed 10.

konww002 and Zen Zi like this.
  14. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    Wow! You should have done a side by side analysis of dzs and zf2

15. jigglinjigglin

Actually i did it, there is allways someone in the team who still claims to it, because it s a fantastic racket. :D
    I play mostly doubles and mixed now, technique is nearly perfect, but i lack in power :D
    my rackets are allways strung with 14kg. So Why i choose z strike instead of zforce 2:
    Don t get me wrong, i m still in love with the zf2, in terms of power and the feel of swinging a hammer effortless. i mean it had so mach power my clears would be too long, so i can string harder, so i add control! Genuise feeling! Buuuuut in doubles, i play a little bit danish and chinese strategy, a lot of drives and defence blocks, etc. . and with zf2 i missed a second of getting the shuttlecock clean... Second problem was, when my arm feels cold sometimes (i hope you know what i mean), or my body isn t in the mood, these racket will kill your game, because it s so heavy and a little bit soft, that it s hard to feel the shuttle. it was hard to adjust it in the first place. However, the duora Z strike can balance it in every terms. Of course a tiny bit less power, but i hadn t a super smash either way, so in terms of control, it wins, it s still a little bit soft like jetspeed 10, but i kinda like it on this racket. i mean, you can feel the forehand side, so i only use the forehand side i n the back for smashes. but overall i use the backhand side for fast drives and pushes. and i m teelin you, i felt so sad, seelin my 2 baby zf2, but now i got a new Favorite child :D

16. jigglinjigglin

17. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    Congrats.

18. Zen Zi

Zen Zi Regular Member

Hi Paul,
    Still waiting for your review.

19. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I'm on with the review. I've had loads of rackets ahead in the queue. Also there's a lot happening behind the scenes as I prepare for the world championships in Glasgow.

Interesting thoughts on Z Strike. I noticed Momota was using it and it was so good to see him in action again. He is lacking big match practice and I hope we soon see him in the Super- series competitions.

It's unfair to blame the racket for a loss in form. From what I hear, Axelson had a couple of poor results and decided to re-focus in order to be back on track for the World Championships. That's what good sportspeople do. They take decisions which will help them rather than move into the next tournament with the wrong mindset and possibly feeling tired.

I should complete my review of Z Strike by the end of the week and possibly post it next week. I think it's a very good racket. The difference between the fast and slow sides is negligible and it doesn't bother me at all. Players shouldn't get so fixated on this. The Duora range is very good and the assumptions based on the two sided frame are really getting in the way of players enjoying the racket.

Yonex seem to be having an Arcsaber 11 renaissance with LYD using it. It's always been a good racket and perhaps only now are we seeing more players using it. This is interesting considering the Arcsaber range is being withdrawn.

Yonex allow players to test racket and strings. In the case of Lin Dan, he used Aerobite and then returned to his usual 66 Ultimax. He doesn't use BG80, unless he has changed again.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

Orangbiasa and Abu Tanki like this.
  20. Michael Kianto

Michael Kianto New Member

what do you think about this racket in doubles match? is it ok? or just ok for single match? sorry for my bad english