2017 Babolat Satelite 6.5 Blast/Power/Essential/Lite - REVIEWS

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by InvincibleAjay, Jul 31, 2017.

1. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Babolat Satelite 6.5 Blast

PRODUCT SPECS

Weight - 89g
    Flex - Stiff
    Length - 675mm
    Balance point - 295mm (Head Heavy)
    Composition - High modulus graphite
    Stringing pattern - 20/21
    Recommended tension - 8-12kg/18-27lbs

PHOTOS

#

RACKET TECHNOLOGY

Slim T - 11% drag reduction at the T-joint.

Shaft 6.5 - The ultra thin shaft slices through the air better than ever for faster, more powerful hitting.

MetriFlex Shaft - A revolutionary shaft with different levels of flexibility depending on the angle to maximize power while maintaining optimum precision.

20x21 Stringing Pattern - 8% more spin and -30% less time when stringing a racket as one string per grommet.

ON COURT

The one I received was factory strung with iFeel 0.70 string (this is standard in UK, it may vary in other countries or the racket may come unstrung). I also used Babolat 1 feather shuttercocks during testing. Please bare this in mind when reading this review.

More of a paintjob than an improvement over the 2015 model. I consider this a racket for the hard smasher but it lacks alot in defense and also overall gameplay.

Smashing is where this racket really excels in. It should with the head weight it packs. Being a thin profile racket, it seems to fly through the air fast and hence aids to the smash.

Drops were quite easy to perform once I adjusted to the weight/speed of the racket and I was able to add slice and reverse slice with minimal issues. The weight in the racket head makes this possible.

Drives were okay, its much slower mid-court compared to the Power/Essential, switching positions was difficult from forehand to backhand.

Netplay was terrible. Noticeably slower as expected for a head heavy racket but just felt cumbersome to use. Moving it around the front takes a lot of effort, I felt the racket holding me back.

VERDICT

Attack 9/10
    Defense 4/10
    Feel/Control 7/10
    Design 9/10

Overall I was disappointed with this racket. It just feels too head heavy and because of that the movement and defense is terrible. The look of the racket is pretty good those, red, white and black looks pretty cool. I think this is an attacking racket but nothing else.

(Disclaimer: the above review is my opinion, I've tried to remain impartial and have stated any factors like strings and shuttlecocks used, please take this with a pinch of salt and remember we all play differently, the above is intended as a guide only, thanks)

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity.

Simeon and kwun like this.
  2. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    Babolat Satelite 6.5 Power

PRODUCT SPECS

Weight - 87g
    Flex - Medium
    Length - 675mm
    Balance point - 290mm (Even Balance)

PHOTOS

RACKET TECHNOLOGY

Shaft 6.5 - The ultra thin shaft slices through the air better than ever for faster, more powerful hitting.

MetriFlex Shaft - A revolutionary shaft with different levels of flexibility depending on the angle to maximize power while maintaining optimum precision.

20x21 Stringing Pattern - 8% more spin and -30% less time when stringing a racket as one string per grommet.

ON COURT

The one I received was factory strung with iFeel 0.68 string (it may vary in other countries or the racket may come unstrung). I also used Babolat 1 feather shuttercocks during testing. Please bare this in mind when reading this review.

The X-Feel Power from 2016 is my main racket of choice so I was interested to see how this performs. It is a fairly decent racket, I prefer the slightly wider profile frame but this does a decent job nevertheless is all aspects of the game.

Smashing is excellent. I'm not a hard smasher but the sound from the sweet spot is nice and the racket suits my game nicely. I also believe this is faster in the air due to the thin profile and the feel and weight just seems balanced nicely to yield a decent smash.

Drops were easy to perform. The even balance once again aids this and it felt that you had good control over different types of drop shots. The 0.68mm strings seems to give you more control over the shots.

Drives were crisp, it's very fast and allowed me to switch positions and deal with drives both on the forehand and backhand with ease. I think the medium flex also makes this easier for most players.

Netplay was very responsive. This racket definitely doesn't feel as slow as the blast, a great improvement.

VERDICT

Attack 8/10
    Defense 8/10
    Feel/Control 7/10
    Design 3/10

Overall I good all round racket. It seems to be great in attack/defense and netplay and the balance and flex seems just about right. I however was not impressed by the design as the silver on white with black just doesn't look that good and it doesn't stand out aesthetically. If you can overlook that, a racket I could recommend.

(Disclaimer: the above review is my opinion, I've tried to remain impartial and have stated any factors like strings and shuttlecocks used, please take this with a pinch of salt and remember we all play differently, the above is intended as a guide only, thanks)

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity

#2 InvincibleAjay, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Simeon likes this.
  3. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    Babolat Satelite 6.5 Essential

PRODUCT SPECS

Weight - 85g
    Flex - Flexible
    Length - 675mm
    Balance point - 290mm (Even Balance)

PHOTOS

RACKET TECHNOLOGY

ON COURT

The one I received was factory strung with iFeel 0.68 string (it may vary in other countries or the racket may come unstrung). I also used Babolat 1 feather shuttercocks during testing. Please bare this in mind when reading this review.

Another cosmetic change, so it's essentially (mind the pun!) the same racket as the 2015 model. The easiest racket in the range to get used to using and does everything well. Clears were straight forward and accurate. The flexible shaftmakes this suitable for a wide range of players. Punch and drive clears are relatively straight forward too.

Smashing is decent. It's probably not as accurate as the power or the blast as the shaft is too flexible but it yields ok results.

Drops were simple to execute once again I was impressed with how easy this racket handled them. The control and feel of the racket it top notch. It flies through the air with ease and again felt very comfortable to use.

Drives were solid, it's relatively fast and allowed me to switch positions and deal with drives both on the forehand and backhand with ease.

Netplay was excellent too. The racket is very agile around the forecourt and would suit many playing styles.

VERDICT

Attack 8/10
    Defense 9/10
    Feel/Control 9/10
    Design 9/10

The most versatile racket of the range, it does everything well. I was surprised about this but it maybe the flexible shaft coupled with the thin shaft was making the difference. It also looks nice, the blue pops out from the black and white frame. ;)

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity

#3 InvincibleAjay, Jul 31, 2017
    Simeon likes this.
  4. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    Babolat Satelite 6.5 Lite

PRODUCT SPECS

Weight - 84g
    Flex - Medium
    Length - 675mm
    Balance point - 280mm (Head Light)

PHOTOS

RACKET TECHNOLOGY

ON COURT

The one I received was factory strung with iFeel 0.70 string (this is standard in UK, it may vary in other countries or the racket may come unstrung). I also used Babolat 1 feather shuttercocks during testing. Please bare this in mind when reading this review.

Head light rackets are usually my favourite as they suit my defensive and counter attacking game. Clears were not too much effort as I am naturally used to head light rackets but someone new to them need to have good technique as the racket generates less power than say the Blast and Power. Punch and drive clears are relatively straight forward baring in mind on above. The racket flies through the air with ease due to the thin profile and it felt very straight forward to use.

Smashing is where this struggles a bit, being head light. I just wasn't generating decent power as I would have liked. If you want a racket suitable for your attacking game, I would suggest the Blast or Power.

Drops were excellent and once again I was impressed with how easy I could perform them. The control and feel of the racket it top notch. Defensively this racket excels, its very fast and easy to intercept any shot. The control is also nice once you are able to get to the shuttle.

Drives were crisp, it's very fast and allowed me to switch positions and deal with drives both on the forehand and backhand with ease.

Netplay was where this racket comes into its own. The control is impeccable and the racket is very agile around the forecourt.

VERDICT

Attack 6/10
    Defense 10/10
    Feel/Control 9/10
    Design 8/10

Overall I defensive racket and great for the counter attacker. The control under pressure is brilliant and the racket also looks quite nice with the luminous yellow popping out from the black and white frame.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day

#4 InvincibleAjay, Jul 31, 2017
    Simeon likes this.
  5. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    Friends have a lite and an essential.

They are actually good ones.. but.. not head heavy enough

6. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

So exactly how the 2017 Satellite models differ from the 2015 ones?

7. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    Same technology, no difference there.

Just a new paintjob on the range.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

8. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

How does the Satellite Blast compare to the X-Feel Blast?

And (since nobody is answering my thread and you seem to have some connection to Babolat) can you tell me where I can get the grommets they use in the X-Feel range?

#8 speCulatius, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  9. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    I find the X-Feel plays better compared to the blast, I don't know why but I feel the Satelite Blast is too far head heavy and because of that the defense side of it struggles. Obviously the satelite range has a thinner profile compared to the X-Feel series but I still feel IMO the X-Feel Blast is the better option. I've done a review of the X-Feel Blast, just search for it on the forums.

As to your other question. I've not heard of the Cell. What exact model is it? I've only been affiliated with Babolat for the past 3 years, before that, I don't have much knowledge about their badminton products.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

speCulatius likes this.
  10. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Sorry, that was supposed to say "X-Feel range".

Thank you for the comparison (I already read your review).

11. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    I've not had to replace mine yet but I will ask my Rep to see if he knows. I will get back to you on this one.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    If you're never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chance

speCulatius likes this.
  12. BadFredII

BadFredII New Member

Hi Ajay.
    Thanks for nice reviews on Babolat.
    I have currently
    X-feel II Power
    X-feel II Essential
    X-feel origin essential

I am probably a lower intermediate offensive player and I like to smash. My technique is not very good as I started playing more as an adault and probably using to much arm and power instead of rotation etc. Will try to work on this of course :)

To my question:
    I have trouble deciding which raquet I am most comfortable with.
    I seem to get very good shots with the PowerII when hitting within the sweetspot but very poor shots when I dont...
    About the same with Essential I think. Little less power here.
    But with the Origin Essential I get overall better smashes but worse clears ?!...

What do you make of this? My thoughts are that the sweetspot is larger on Origin and therefor giving me ok smashes even when I hit off center.. I probably hit off center way too much... any tips on how to imporve that ?;)

Thanks

13. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    Hi BadFred,

Yes you are right, the Origin has a bigger sweetspot as it is a more isometric racket head whereas the X-Feel rackets have an oval shape racket head so you need to have decent technique to utilise them to their potential. What I would recommend is to work on your technique to improve your shots in all aspects, making sure you get behind the shuttle for effective clears/smashes etc. I would use the Origin as it seems to suit your game well for the time being. Once you get better, move onto the Essential and then the Power. Remember the Power has the most stiff shaft of the lot so it is a more advanced racket, you are just not technically on par to use it effectively yet.

If you can get some coaching, either group coaching or 1-2-1, that will certainly help also to improve quicker.

All the best.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The only way to make a man trustworthy is to trust him.

14. ice man

ice man Regular Member

As here in France we couldn’t play badminton for 6 months, lots of players -me included- have lost some skills. I used to do lots of weight lifting and badminton before the shutdown, but due to shutdown I’m now more of a runner than a weight lifter. Strengths: cardio, defence, stamina
    Weaknesses: tactics, power

So when a saw that the satelite essential is on sale, even if it’s flexible, I couldn’t resist but to try it out. I paid my racquet 60€, RRP is 120€. Strung with BG80 at 27lbs, as usual for me.

Racquet is really cool looking, white with bits of blue, my two favourite colours for racquets I admit, at first I bought it just because of the design

First clears, effortless, racquet is quite flexible and definitely even balance, a slight pronation of the wrist and it goes to the back line, very good. Smashs are very powerful, one again use your wrist and it sends bombs, absolutely addictive!

Manoeuvrability is good, the racquet unstrung is around 84-85gr and it’s even balance makes it fast enough, even if not as fast as my Kawasaki K8

I was really surprised by the net play of the essential, really good considering it’s flexible nature. I feel more confident at the net with essential than K8 which has a weird trampoline effect sometimes. From the back court it’s precise too, no problem when playing singles to find sharp angles.

If I had to note it out of 10:
    Power: 9 (really powerful but it’s not the penetrating power of the ZF2 if it makes sense)
    Manoeuvrability: 8
    Ease of use: 10
    Precision: 8
    Design: 10 (purely subjective)

15. beno22

beno22 Regular Member

Between the essential satellite and Astrox 7, which is the most powerful ?

16. yolosmash

yolosmash New Member

I just got the blast, and I have to disagree about it being extremely heavy/head-heavy. Your description makes it sound as if it's like the VTZF or something. Compared to other 3U rackets, it really doesn't feel unwieldy at all. Looking at this review and the spec sheet, I ordered it expecting a baseball bat of a racket (which is my preference), but it really isn't THAT head heavy. Compared to other rackets I've used (apacs lethal 70/100, apacs ziggler LHI, AT700), the blast is definitely less head-heavy and demanding. If you're used to sub-4U or head-light rackets this might feel like a behemoth, but there are definitely far more demanding rackets out there. I might update this comment with more details once I've had a chance to play a bit more with it.

Shamwow likes this.
  17. ice man

ice man Regular Member

Had the opportunity to play with the satelite power, and I’m still using satelite essential most of the time.

The power is like an upgrade of the essential, slightly stiffer, slightly heavier, keeping the same even balance
    It gives more impact in the shuttle while losing a little of easiness

A great racquet for those looking for an allround racquet - think bravesword 12, without its drawbacks - while not too pricey

malang smurf likes this.