Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. xsakurax

xsakurax Regular Member

I always salute LCW passion in badminton
    I guess that is what lacking in the new Mas players
    He survives losing in Olympics which is a more devastating defeat

Like Azizul in cycling who kept trying for 10 years to get to become WC this year
    LCW can continue to play in next year WC and even Olympics if he is able to avoid injury and maintain his form
    You are never to old to compete if you have the skills & fitness

2. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

LCW has decided to carry on his badminton career despite his suffered defeat in WC last week...

3. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

I am ambivalent on him not retiring. Frankly Badminton MS scene desperately need some new heros. We dont want to see LD and LCW all the time. Need some new blood in MS. On the other hand the new bloods are not as exciting nor could play like these two. Then there is the problem with malaysian singles. They need a period of drought before new competent singles players can come to the fore. So him not retiring is bad news for Msian Ms development.

4. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Well, first, we need them to NOT lose in early rounds of lower ranked tournament first.
    Cheam Jun Wei, Tan Jia Wei, Leong Jun Hao, Lee Zii Jia is all talented and all, but lack consistency and weak mental.
    They need to improve that before anything else.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Agreed. And secondly, they need to be as good as or better than LCW.

If no one in Malaysia is as good as LCW, then why wouldn't BAM continue to have LCW in their squad?

I don't buy the argument that LCW not retiring prevents new talent coming through. That is utter rubbish. LD hasn't retired yet we have CL, SYQ etc. The Danes have JOJ and VA, Koreans SWH and LHI etc etc...

#13425 R20190, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  6. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

You can see that almost all of BAM backup players including Choong Yee Han, that Lin Dan had praised before,
    have compete in at least 10 or even more tournaments as of now.
    I cannot blame LCW for the lack of good shuttlers when they have been given enough and almost giant opportunity
    of competing in tournaments.
    Even other countries's backup player did have so much player competing in 10+ tournaments.
    Like Norza/Morten said, they have good facilities, including the latest academy and they failed to get good result.
    So, you blame LCW? I don't think you understand the roots of the problem.

7. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

MS Backup Tournament Count:
    IZ - 9
    SJV - 11
    LZJ - 12
    LCW - 13
    TJW - 11
    RS - 13
    CJW - 10
    STZ - 9
    CYH - 10.

They have all the year to bring out the result and they didn't.
    They need to have the determination and passion, instead of blaming someone else.

8. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    LCW should retire and I can't see him winning any SS tournament this year. I think his body has had enough. I can't see him playing next year. It's a shame that Malaysia does not have any good players in any discipline.

Just look at WC only one Malaysian player/pair (XD) reached last 16 and none in Quarter Final. Poor LCW has the carry all the burden for that country's hope.

9. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Chong Wei still has the desire to carry on playing

[​IMG]

SHUTTLER Lee Chong Wei (pic) has delivered good news on the eve of the National Day – he will continue playing for the country.

“There are defeats and victories in sports. I’ve thought about my future and I’ve decided to keep going,” said Chong Wei, who turned up for the SEA Games badminton individual finals at the Axiata Arena in Bukit Jalil and attended the victory ceremonies involving Malaysian players.

He said he made up his mind after discussing with Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria yesterday.

The 34-year-old Chong Wei was thinking of retiring after losing in the first round to Brice Leverdez of France at the World Championships in Glasgow, Scotland, last week.

“There are many major tournaments coming up for Malaysia next year (Thomas Cup Finals, Asian Games, World Championships) and I believe it’s my duty to play on,” said Chong Wei.

“I’m getting older and I shouldn’t be too upset about losing. I’m still a top-10 player in the world and I shouldn’t put unnecessary pressure on myself. I’ll try to enjoy the game again.”

Norza, who was happy with Chong Wei’s decision, had mixed feelings over Malaysia’s 1-4-2 medal haul in badminton at the Kuala Lumpur Games.

“We accept that we didn’t reach our two-gold target. I congratulate Goh Jin Wei for winning our sole gold. I’m also happy with Soniia (Cheah) and all the others who made it to the finals,” said Norza.

“It’s not a big achievement, but good exposure for some of our back-up players.

“Our men’s singles is still a disappointment. We’ve to go back to the drawing board together with technical director Morten (Frost) and head coach Misbun (Sidek).

“I’m also unhappy with our players’ inability to finish off matches. They have a problem at the last mile.

“They give away leads and struggle to catch up. This is another area we need to look into,” added Norza, who celebrated his 51st birthday yesterday.

Read more at http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...sire-to-carry-on-playing/#4B6ApkRoY2XoQdKM.99
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

If i have the opportunity to meet him (and after reading this), i will sure tell him

- you're not old.... It is just a figure in your head.........why? You still look young in that picture.
    - nice to hear you still want to enjoy playing,....if single does not give you that excitement anymore, just ask your wife to get out from retirement and partner her in the XD... Try to collect some ranking points..... May the luck be with you
    :):)

10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i'm shocked, i tell you. SHOCKED! ...as if bam would EVER suggest he stop playing.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...onships-draw-and-onwards.172748/#post-2568718 :cool:

11. Master

Master Regular Member

I believe that decision related with disappointment in MS category which still looking the next LCW. When no one able to replace LCW, I'm afraid LCW still have to playing now one.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Happy to see Chong Wei carry on.

An athletes decision to retire should be their own decision considering all factors.

He is not the oldest player playing on the circuit.

13. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Well, Lee Hyun Il is still playing and he is in a terrific form, to say for his age.

Cheung likes this.
  14. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I am surprised the president of BAM talks of such matters with players. And also surprised he gives advice on what is the performance problems of players. Surprised also that responsibilities for MS is not distinguished between Misbun and MF. The whole impression is that inside BAM things are not clear cut.

I am waiting for next encounter with Brice!

Cheung likes this.
  15. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

I thought WC is BL's final tournaments.
    I heard that he is busy with his clothes shop or something.
    Can anyone verify?

16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Quite possible, he is aging. I'll have a look, he might have a blog or something

17. renbo

renbo Regular Member

18. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Right now I can't find anything about Brice retreat.

19. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

I swear I read it online on BWF News site.
    He said he was busy and have no time for tournaments.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah he said he had little time to train