Too slow shuttles - The german problem

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ucantseeme, Jul 14, 2017.

1. kurdy_

kurdy_ Regular Member

lol :)

2. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    .. yeah. Happened to me too.

In training (or those kind of game, where u just kinda... Fill in.. because there are not a lot of people in your club).. i have no problem with the shuttle, as long as it's not plastic, not mushed, or at least could fly enough distance.

Tournaments? I will bring my own. I will even dare to dump a point to brake the shuttle if the enemy's shuttle is that bad.

3. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

lol how do you do that? must do too :D

I always have problems with too slow shuttles. So it can happen that I noticably play worse because the shuttle is slowly getting slower because it gets older and older. But opponents do not notice that, they just see that all feathers are on it and shuttle does not tumble, so I cannot ask for a new shuttle...or I do and they are wondering...

4. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Speed is a requirement according to badminton rules, so if a shuttle is slow, you are perfectly entitled to a new one, even if it is otherwise perfectly fine.

5. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

We test the shuttle before every training exercise or casual match, and definitely before a competition match. In our region people tend to think just over the double service line is too fast, on the double service line or just before is good. I have not seen people wanting to make the shuttle so slow that you can't hit them over half the court. Except for once, during competition. One club likes their shuttles that way, and they 'test' with full on power to get it in the range of the rules, it's basically cheating.

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

The problem with the common speed test is that you can give the shuttle to three different people and let them test it and you get three different results.

7. phihag

phihag Regular Member

But then it's very simple to decide: Take the one farthest and discard the others, because only that player is hitting with full power.

8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I don't know. Maybe I don't get this test, but let's say I do the test and hit with full power (to my capabilities) and then a real pro like LD hits it. LD is stronger and has faster acceleration, so the shuttle flies farther... Right? I know a guy who hits like a maniac when testing the shuttle speed, he can make a very slow shuttle go way past the doubles service line. o_O

9. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Starting at a certain level, the difference shouldn't be that much - once the technique is correct, strength does little to affect the length. But yes, if you and LD are playing each other, as an umpire I'd go with LD's length.

Seen another way, if a player's strength or technique is lacking, they should improve that instead of asking their opponents to play at their level.

10. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

The rules state "low full swing over the back line", so yeah, debatable whether going full power is the right way.
    Imho, the most important part is that you are consistent with testing (and not be a **** about it :D)

We are mostly using speed 78 in the Netherlands, and often we need to tip it 1 out of 4 feathers, sometimes it's okay, maaaybe 77 would be better. Depends on the weather, which is really unpredictable over here.

11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

A guy from another club visited ours today. We played a match of singles and after my shuttle was broken we used one of his. After a few points his new shuttle already was heavily damaged. So I asked for a shuttle change and was about to walk to my tube of shuttles. What happened then surprised me! He said we can use another one of his shuttles because it was his shuttle which got damaged so fast. After all the bull crap I was going through the last few months it was so nice to see that there are still decent people around (sportsmanship is still alive!). I didn‘t even expect him to do that, don‘t get me wrong.

Normally it‘s the other way round. People give me an already used shuttle and after it‘s broken (much faster than a new one of course) they expect me to use one of my new ones...

ucantseeme likes this.
  12. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Also experienced this with a few people who have cheaper/worse shuttles than mine. Somebody also said to me that his shuttles are 1/3 less expensive/lower quality than mine and want to even out by giving one more.

I don't know how much shuttles you need for one singles game? Depending on quality and sets 3,4,5,6?

13. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, depends on the sets of course. But also the opponent and the opponents' style of play. If the opponent always unintentionally heavily slices all the shots I need more of course, or if it's a fast attacking game. But I've played three long and hard sets with only one shuttle and it was still okay after the match.

14. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Did you play against Chong Wei Lee?

15. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Unfortunately not.

But could be the case. I don't think I would get much time to hit the shuttle at all if we were to play. :D

#55 Rob3rt, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  16. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Last Saturday, we had a league match with shuttles that were... Slower than slow.
    When trying the shuttle, one of the other players was standing at least one meter inside the court, 'tested' the shuttle that still fell around 30 cm short of the double service line: "they are good."
    For singles, I put all my effort in the hit when testing the shuttles and I managed to make them look fast enough (well almost)... But the result were oval shuttles.

Und jetzt bitte ein wenig Mitleid! ;)

ucantseeme and phihag like this.
  17. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Sorry to hear that. It's bewildering that most clubs here don't get that during winter it gets colder, which means the shuttles are flying slower. I even had a talk with a Bundesliga player who told me that when it's cold the shuttles are faster... Can you believe that? :confused:

So, what's the solution? Getting the right speed for the right season. It's not that hard. What's not the solution? Getting one speed for every season and having to tip completely new shuttles because they don't have the right speed.

PS: Last league match I played against an opponent who refused to change the shuttle - during the whole freaking game. It was not just slow, like you experienced, but it was also damaged and flying like crap. But he did not want to change. Next time I will "accidentally" step on the shuttle, whoops. :)

18. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    During league we had a home game. During WD, MD, WS and MS the speed of the shuttles where right. Nobody wanted to bend and accepted the speed. Before I started the XD game (normally the last team match) the female opponent told me to bend every 4th. I asked my partner, if they did it in the WD as well and she said "No." Also the male which I face in the MD before didn't wanted to bend. So I gave 4 shuttles to the opponents to test the speed. After the male player did the speed test the land 10cm infront of the doubles service line. I also did the speed test. Hit them also slightly infront of the doubles service line.

Than the female said: "They are too fast we need to bend every 4th, even every second." I said: "According to the rules and the speed test we got the right speed." She: "But they are still flying very fast." I: "Let us see."

We started the game, I finished the first rally with a thunderous smash, because the opponents lifted not deep enough. The female picked up the shuttle and said "This is the evidence, the shuttle is too fast" and bend without asking every 4th feather and tipped around 1cm of the feather part outwards and returned the shuttle. My partner rolled with her eyes and said to me "Let us not accept this". I did the speed test, shuttle landed in the mid court. The female opponent said: "It's okay." I get mad as **** and asked an opponent who came from a different club and faced our 1st team at this day, who sit around to do the speed test for us, because we can't agree on the speed. He picked up his racket and wanted to come over to our court, than the male opponent said: "The speed of the shuttles are okay, let us pick a new one." :rolleyes:

19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

That‘s just a plain attempt of cheating, imo. What would you have done if they would not have agreed that the shuttle speed is okay at the end?

20. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

If you can't agree on shuttle speed, the Match Leader will designate a 3rd party (preferably but not necessarily neutral) to test shuttle speed. This effectively ends the discussion, even if both teams are unhappy with the result. Note that you can't change shuttle speeds in the middle of a match, so as soon as the first serve is hit, you're stuck with that speed.