Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    let's look at his individual record since rio (~1 year):

2017 week 34: World Championships 2017 - 33/64
    2017 week 24: Indonesia Open - 9/16
    2017 week 14: Malaysia Open - 2nd
    2017 week 10: All England - 1st
    2016 week 50: Dubai World Superseries Finals - 5/8
    2016 week 42: Denmark Open - 5/8
    2016 week 38: Japan Open - 1st

two 1st's, a 2nd, two exits @ 1/4's, one exit @ 16's, one flame out. for now it's reasonable to regard his wc flame out as an outlying result. that leaves a pretty good set of results. nothing would indicate he's cycling off of any drug... unless the wc is a preview of things to come.

visor and mobin2012 like this.
  2. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Chong Wei all fired up
    • BADMINTON
    • Sunday, 10 Sep 2017⅞

• [​IMG]
      Huge encouragement: Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Muhammad V conferring the Panglima Jasa Negara (PJN), which carries the title Datuk, to Lee Chong Wei in conjunction with his majesty’s official birthday. — Bernama

KUALA LUMPUR: The adage “every cloud has a silver lining” aptly describes what national shuttler Lee Chong Wei has gone through in the past few weeks.

He was down and out after his first-round loss at the World Championships in Glasgow last month.

But then some “good things” happened and re-energised his desire to pursue more glory for the country although he will be 35 next month.

“I’m more fired up now. A few incidents that happened in the last two weeks have given me the motivation to keep on fighting for honours in badminton,” said Chong Wei after a training session at Academy Badminton Malaysia (ABM) in Bukit Kiara.

Chong Wei turned up on the final day of the Kuala Lumpur SEA Games badminton action on Aug 29 to give away prizes to the winners. What transpired blew him away.

“It was my first public appearance after the first-round loss. I was expecting a cold reception, but the fans cheered so loudly at the mere mention of my name at the Axiata Arena. I felt comforted and overwhelmed,” said Chong Wei, who lost to Brice Leverdez of France in Glasgow.

The 2017 All-England champion said that he was also encouraged after speaking to Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria and patron Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor.

He was inspired by Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) president Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim’s motivational talk, which was posted on Facebook, to the players after their SEA Games final defeat.

“All these have inspired me to come out of my defeat stronger – there’s still a future if I put my heart and soul into it,” said Chong Wei, who is now looking forward to the Japan Open in Tokyo from Sept 19-24 with more confidence.

There was more good news for Chong Wei.

Yesterday, he and squash ace Nicol David were conferred the Panglima Jasa Negara (PJN), which carries the title Datuk, in conjunction with Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Muhammad V’s official birthday.

He had earlier received his Datukship from Penang and the Datuk Wira title from Malacca last year.

To top it all off, Chong Wei has also been selected as one of the recipients of a special award for his contribution to the nation during the Hari Malaysia celebrations on Sept 16.

“Since I returned from Glasgow, the fans have not given up on me, the government continues to recognise my contribution and badminton leaders are still giving me their support,” said Chong Wei.

“My family is there and so are my teammates. What else can I ask for?

“It’s like God does not want me to stop playing badminton,” he said, bursting into laughter.

“The defeat (to Leverdez) was hard to accept initially because I didn’t play well despite all my sacrifices,” he said.

“I gave my everything in training (under Datuk Misbun Sidek and Hendrawan). I even slept in a separate room from my wife (Wong Mew Choo) and went to bed as early as 9pm.

“My mind was blank when I returned home from Glasgow. I didn’t touch the racquet at all after my return. I didn’t even watch any matches. I spent time with family, went jogging and swimming, worked out in the gym – just to clear my mind and relax.

“I know now what went wrong. I put too much pressure on myself.”

So, how will Chong Wei handle himself at the Japan Open?

“I’ll go to Japan with a simple approach – enjoy my game and give my best,” he said.

“Winning will be great but losing is also part and parcel of the game as long as I know that I’ve given my best.”

Other sports personalities in the King’s honours list who received the Kesatria Mangku Negara (KMN) were national Paralympic head coach R. Jaganathan, national cyclist and world keirin champion Azizulhasni Awang and Paralympians Mohamad Ridzuan Puzi, Muhammad Ziyad Zolkefli and Abdul Latif Romly.

The recipients of the Ahli Mangku Negara (AMN) were shuttlers Chan Peng Soon, Goh V Shem, Tan Wee Kiong, Goh Liu Ying; diving world champion Cheong Jun Hoong; and Paralympian Siti Noor Radiah Ismail.

Read more at http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...no-7s-appetite-for-glory/#CP7QYxEOOGU0k7Pc.99!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Congrat DLCW for his 3rd Datukship award from the Malaysia newly crown King from Kelantan. Sooner or later you will be given the title Tan Sri.......

Hope DLCW will continue to enjoy playing.

(beleive it or not..... I am now in a standing position saluting you Datuk..... With my wife watching me with her face like, what the heck.... while eating your dinner!!..... :))

ant01, Abu Tanki, stanleyfm and 2 others like this.
  3. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Of course you did put too much pressure on yourself, LCW. It has been that way for a long time, you should have realized it since the doping, the wet court, the coaching change, and the non-appreciative MF.

4. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

tomorrow is his 100th appearance in final..what an achievement!

racketman123 and Cheung like this.
  5. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Truly one of the best performing singles player in the Superseries circuit. Hope to see doing well as time goes on.

6. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

why LCW get his performance well in any SS but not in WC...?!

7. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

One of the reason is LCW is the only title contender in Malaysia. He shouldered all the pressure of winning OG/WC for 10-year plus. Had other not become so useless, LCW might have won one.

Aventus and ownz.uno like this.
  8. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

pressure yes! and no quality back-up player.. hopefully Misbun can groom the next star in MAS.

9. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

MS in Singapore IC all lose before final, hope to see MS in Polish doing better than the former.

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Psychological pressure.

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yup, change the tournament name from WC to Macau GP Gold.

12. Master

Master Regular Member

WC give no prize money?

13. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

more money than SS i guess...

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Certainly more inconsistent than in the past. Hope he can still go on.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah I wouldnt bet on that

16. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Congrats to VA for winning the JOSS. He played well and deserved to be the current WC. DLCW despite loosing already mention before meeting VA that he woukd love to win but if not, he doesnt mind and want to enjoy the match as much as possible. Congrats to both players

Edmund96 and nokh88 like this.
  17. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

There is no prize money for World Championship, the Olympics, or other "World" titles -- it is purely for the prestige; and the advertising/sponsorship dollars that will surely follow...

The reason why LCW has never won any World title (& why it is more prestigious)-- is because the ENTIRE Chinese team (not to mention the rest of the world) will be there to take him down.... it is also why the All-England SS is almost as prestigious as a World title -- almost everyone wants to enter/win the oldest badminton tournament in the world, held in the country which invented the sport...

Aventus and lasalleguy like this.
  18. John Cena

John Cena New Member

All England is already a 2nd tier tournament. Only Asian fans with colonized mindset still hold it in high esteem.

anyway, lcw had a good tournament, hopefully he was not on ped again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I may be bias, but the All England is clearly held in a higher regard than any other SS event.
    However it should not be near the level of WC or the Olympics.

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    LawrenceYong.

stanleyfm and Baddyforall like this.