Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Justin, you missed some good posts! You would have changed your mind about "universal standard" of trolling! Mr. Yong gave us some good ones

2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Is that guy got banned? I mean kwun was mentioning about some unknown member got banned!.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

3. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

That was an epic one.........

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Nope, just that I'm more liberal-minded.

There are a few like him here, occasionally worse, and they are not banned. Why do you only pick on him ?

Don't forget, the term troll is subjective. Read the wikimedia essay on trolling which I find well-written, most of it I'm in agreement. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/What_is_a_troll?

As you can see, I actually disagreed with his views on CNG and WC, just that I also feel he doesn't merit a ban, at most a warning to tone down his language.

One more thing, did you guys realize this, assuming Lawrence Yong is really who he claims to be and the photo he used as his avatar is him - that's not the typical behaviour of a troll as they all, without exception,hide behind the ugly cloak of anonymity ?

Personally, I also opine that offending posts should not be deleted even after the offender is banned - let them remain to serve as a record of what is found unacceptable unless they contained obscenities, threats to harm others or ethical and legal violations, and suchlike.

#10144 Justin L, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  5. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Let's forget about these things. Linda's thread is unnecessarily bulging with some irrelevant posts to this thread. Hope everybody posts normally without draging attention to them.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Le meilleur de tous les temps joue à l'Open de France. À toute à l'heure!

7. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    OT but that just reminded me of one of my favourite songs.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  8. Nine Tailed Fox

他在李宗偉的論壇上張貼了一張動態的性別地圖,所以他被封鎖了

9. Nine Tailed Fox

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Four million RMB owed him by the Beijing club is a lot of money and it's been so many months since they last promised to pay him while still appearing unable to do so, that's why he has no choice but to seek legal redress.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Since VA thrashed LD in 2 major competitions, one can safely say LD's era is over (before, there was always that tiny chance he just didn't prepare well enough for smaller competitions, and he had a history of doing very well at big tournaments).
    I for one would not say that this is VA's era though, as he didn't win as much between the 16OG and 17WC, but he did prove that the LD/LCW era is over. My personal guess is that we won't have a clear dominance by any 1-3 players for a while.

nokh88 likes this.
  12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It's not really, his height is actually somewhat of a disadvantage since changes in direction are both slower (higher centre of gravity, more mass) and more energy-consuming, and crouching/squatting lower to artificially lower the centre of gravity is very very taxing. He also needs to be more flexible than slightly smaller players for that.
    Whilst being much smaller is a disadvantage as well since you lose the angles you need to finish rallies, I believe the 'sweetspot' for height in men's single with the way the game is currently played is somewhere in the 1,75-1,85 range, and Top10 players out of that range usually have some special abilities or talent that even out their height disadvantage.
    VA has a very good backhand, outstanding angles, good attacking play, good technique and deception. CL has incredible shot quality, pretty insane leg strength and flexibility, and decent enough attacking play. Momota (before his ban) had very very good net play and, despite his height, a pretty penetrating smash.
    The only MS player of 1,90m or taller that I remember before CL/VA is Bao Chunlai, and VA even mentioned him as inspiration in one interview, and as one of the few to show playing MS is possible as a tall player.
    Anyhow. Being tall isn't much of an advantage once you go past 1,90m.

FeatherBlaster and Cheung like this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Nowhere did I imply it's still Lin Dan's era. To me, it's given way to Chen Long's era the past couple of years but this year has been dubious for CL, so hard to say now.

14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Agree on the height and gravity. I don't know how tall is Sun Yu, but she, to my opinion, because of her defensive stance, is being exploited with drop shots.

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Agree on the height and gravity. I don't know how tall is Sun Yu, but she, to my opinion, because of her defensive stance, is being exploited with drop shots.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I did a Yahoo search on the Internet and was confused by two conflicting data on his height, one state 1.85m (6'1") and the other 1.94m (6'4").

Yes, in a way, being too tall can have its disadvantage but in VA's case it allows him to smash more steeply than most others who are shorter from the backline without jumping much, as well as his reach advantage. As he is tall but not too heavy built and he moves fast, I see little disadvantage other than a bit more blind spot area around his body and the extra effort it takes him to bend low and get up quickly. That's why I see his height as much more of an advantage than disadvantage. Bao Chunlai at 1.91m(6'3") has similar advantage.

However, I do agree on the ideal height and weight for badminton players, the range you mentioned, 1.75 to 1.85m, seems right. It'd be great if a more scientific study can be conducted by experts based on agreed upon criteria to give us a clearer picture. Even so, I don't think the conclusion is absolute but limited as there is/are always exceptions.

On the other hand, whatever physical disadvantage(s) an athlete may have,he or she can overcome it by dint of persistent hard work coupled with developed abilities or talents. As is well known, LCW's short stature at 1.70m (5' 7") is no hindrance, what he lacks in height he makes up for in speed and , I add, in talent. Same goes for Nozomi Okuhara, Akane Yamaguchi, just to name two in women's singles.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sun Yu is not a good example, in fact she is a negative example, for her failing to maximize or capitalize on her height advantage at 1.83m (6'). I've always lamented her inability to follow Chen Long's footstep, height 1.87m (6' 2"), in his speed of movement, court coverage and attacking prowess. She is unlike the tall Sung Ji Hyun and P V Sindhu both of whom are fast movers and can often intercept the shuttle in mid-air if it's not well cleared of them and they can also bring the shuttle down rather easily and effectively from virtually anywhere, relatively speaking

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Talking about Akane Yamaguchi, she defies our common understanding of what a short and stocky player can do. At just 1.56m (5' 1"), she happened to have outsized thighs (and muscles) that enabled her to move fast and effortlessly all over the court.

19. Nine Tailed Fox

LOL...''thrashed''.......Saving energy in the Semi Finals for the Bronze Medal match sure was a Masterplan. And saving a Game point in the Final of World Championships means you just thrashed your opponent. Hmm sure! :rolleyes:

20. Nine Tailed Fox

Lin Dan hanging out with friends after heart-breaking defeat.

[​IMG]