Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. Master

Master Regular Member

It's a concern as well...

BAM in no rush to replace Morten Frost

KUALA LUMPUR: The BA of Malaysia (BAM) are in no rush to replace technical director Morten Frost, after accepting the latter's sudden resignation on Monday.

In fact, a new structure - where all five head coaches report directly to the Coaching and Training (C&T) committee - was agreed upon at the committee's meeting here at the Academy Badminton Malaysia (ABM).

BAM president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria, who is also C&T chairman, made the announcement, saying the Dane chose to leave on his own, citing personal reasons as the justification behind his shocking decision.

Frost, who is leaving the national body for the second time - after having an earlier stint in the late 1990s - was hired in 2015 by the Sports Ministry and has a contract that runs until 2020.

"At the moment, we are not looking into hiring a new technical director following the departure of Morten Frost.

"The five head coaches (men's singles, men's doubles, women's singles, women's doubles and mixed doubles) will report directly to the C&T.

"Our general manager Michelle Chai will take over Frost's role in providing support service. Logistics and players' tournament management will be handled by her.

"I think what is important is for the players and coaches to understand that the honeymoon is over as from now on, everyone must be held accountable and responsible.

"We have also come up with a renewed reward incentive that is based on Key Performance Indicators (KPI)," said Norza.

When asked if there were other reasons behind Frost's resignation, Norza added: "I don't think so. I think he did well with helping us win three silver medals at the Rio Olympic Games last year, we had men's doubles Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong, so we are thankful and we wish him all the best in his future undertakings.

"As I said earlier, he cited personal reasons. The C&T has accepted his resignation after our meeting here today, and Michelle will discus the finer details with Morten to make it a friendly and amicable separation."

Following a successful 2016, Frost suffered a series of disappointing results this year namely at the World Championships in Glasgow, the Kuala Lumpur Sea Games (KL2017) last month and the Sudirman Cup in Gold Coast, Australia earlier in May.

On whether Frost's target to win the Thomas Cup - as stated in BAM's blueprint for the year 2017-2020 - would still materialize, Norza said: "We will work towards it. It was his document, so we will see what we can do, but we definitely will work towards it."

The BAM, could possibly issue a huge payout to Frost, who was said to have been earning as estimated US$20,000 (approximately RM84,000) a month.

Source: https://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/2017/09/281264/bam-no-rush-replace-morten-frost

2. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

It is indeed very sad for the future of Malaysia Badminton. MF's has a clear view of grooming juniors to be champions but too bad, what Malaysia needed is instant results and not in the future. They see no immediate results, they blame you for not doing your job. He is no magician and he cant produce a champion over the weekend. What was promised to him when he was hired was not fulfilled. He was promised to have absolute power to make all decisions in badminton and only has to report to the upper management. But what was supposed to be a 'report' turns out to be 'asking for permission' and in the end, permissions get rejected or overwrite each and every single time. You tell me, whats the point of staying then? Whats the point of helping Malaysia when he's not even a Malaysian?

justinloong, visor, Gigabit and 2 others like this.
  3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    If this is true and the reason for leaving, I agree and sympathise with MF.

4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    sports teams have to run like a business w/ mid-range and long range planning. example: nippon badminton association.

the bam overlords run it with ego. it will never turnaround until... oh never mind. i've already wasted too many keystrokes on this death spiral.

5. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Well said

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I agree with most of your points but this I disagree with as it implies Frost is less than professional.

You can see many instances of non-local coaches in prominent coaching positions. Perhaps the most famous is Park Joo Bong, ( he used to be employed by BAM). Tan Kim Her (went to Korea and UK), Kenneth Jonassen (UK), Rexy (UK and Malaysia).

Just from the news, I haven't seen Frost being less than professional.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What honeymoon?

8. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

after MF left, BAM is now going to the dark age and never return to the light side...

9. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    indeed. Cant agree more. Squeeze as a director between Datuk Norza and local hero DLCW, DM and Cheah, you need a caliber outsider to give you that neutral opinion and insight.

As much as the msia people respect DLCW and DM and how influentual there in msia badminton history, people maybe dont know much about MF personality and his inner character except his past achievements.

When he had issue with DLCW, despite being fired from all corners, he still kept his head down in order to contain and prevent further feud with mighty DLCW and co. . If you observed each of every answer given by MF to the local media while interviewed, he always has that puffy smile and gives a positive answer.

Being a BAM technical director is no small task. Its one of the few hot seats in the Msia sport association that many tax payer closely watching other than being the president of FAM and Sepak Takraw. How great your achievement are as a badminton player, you need to be more than that to sit in MF post in order to coupe with the sheer pressure that comes with it. With this i salute MF for being there.

justinloong likes this.
  10. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

agree. while you can say that you have hired a top coach and put in hours of training, others are doing the same thing too.
    sports is a long term project, but the top men (some even from political party and want results to help them score points) don't get it.
    in the end, money is wasted (from hiring and firing), time is wasted (from changing of training program and philosophy), while the players get older and their playing life shorten.

justinloong likes this.
  11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The atmosphere for young players just arriving in BAM must be very negative, with all the noise about who is the boss, and the real boss, and the real boss of the real boss, and the puppeteer above them all, with the frequent changes in organization... A normal reaction would be to keep to yourself, trust no-one and lost of fighting spirit.

12. Master

Master Regular Member

IDK, that's why I made it blue. :cool:

Mentioning time with MF for 2 years since 2015 as honeymoon isn't a right statement from Norza.
    "Halfword of relax and no hard working" was neither too IMO

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    :eek:
    We ain't seen dark age yet:D...wait till Datuk Lee's buddy, the famed 'Yawning' Rashid Sidek return to BAM, now MAS is really entering the stone age and no return:p....any WJC players this character trained will turn to stone and bite the dust. So to those juniors, if you see Rashid lurking around BAM, just watch out:eek:

14. indrg

indrg Regular Member

There are too many cooks in the kitchen. MF ultimately lost the power play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Master

Master Regular Member

That would be difficult to work without such a power as decision maker.

Let's choose the answer

16. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

Morten Frost, known to say his opinion straight out 110%, with all respect to MF and what I actually really like him for, is his inability into politics, he is still acting like the badminton player he was
    I guess he did mess up in "something" and it wouldn't be first time to be frank, one of the first episodes/happenings (beware anecdote) I remember very clear was in the primo 80's when MF was a young player, and had succeeded to play himself up to a semi final in a club competition in S.I.F/Gentofte his opponent was Fleming Delf,, when MF entered the court he did wear a motorbike helmet and told the judge he insisted to wear the helmet to protect his head and eyes against FD smashes which he claimed was aimed to harm him :) he lost the match-without the helmet. Morten please come back to Denmark :)

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Unfortunately he wasn't the one controlling the fire.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yeah。 we are on the same wavelength. Some no brain statements coming in there but this is a Malaysian public figure so I shouldn't really be surprised considering the other no-brain statements like 100% drop in crime that you hear from time to time.

19. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    I am going to apply this empty post left by MF. Onced appointed, then going to gather support from the inside and lead a coup to overtake Datuk Norza as BAM President. After successfully taking over the power from him, my first effort to restore BAM glory is to convert the new BAM training centre to a food stall and enjoy myself with some mamak food. I need some military support frim BC for this noble effort as well. :):)

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Maybe get the Datuk to replace MF to get real results. o_O